What is your current age? | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is your current age?

I am 54 and have been a fan of the Dolphins for as long as I can remember. As I have become more grey and lost more hair, I have mellowed in my infatuation with the team and have put everything in perspective. Like actors and musicians, I look at athletes as entertainers and enjoy the blocks of time that I spend on the team and don't let it negatively impact my mood or ruin my day. Life is too short to be miserable and in a foul mood. My wife and I have been through enough rough times (she is a cancer survivor and I had a stroke a few years ago among the many challenges we have been through in our 31 years of marriage) so it is all about finding the right frame of mind and nurturing that rather than being negative about something you have absolutely no control over.

I watched the very first Dolphin's game played at home with my dad...19" black and white TV with 3 channel plus 1 UHF... I can still here him screaming at me when I had to go outside and turn the antenna. ("other way dammit"!)

I am very shocked there are only a handful of 30 and younger. Is that because the young guys aren't responding?

I'm so turning into my parents.
The area that I'm turning into my parents is that I don't understand references. Somebody will a contemporary phrase and I have no idea what they are talking about. For example, I must have seen the phrase "ok boomer" at least 20 times before I realized it was younger generations attempting to take a crack at my generation. It never even dawned on me because boomers were always considered the cool and privileged generation, since their parents grew up in what was indeed a booming period. I've seen some highly respected younger guys here use that phrase. I'm thinking...be my guest.

Also I don't know the younger celebrities and feel no need to know. That reminds me exactly of my dad. We'd be watching the Tonight Show and he would love it when someone like Don Rickles or Bob Newhart was a guest. But when Johnny would bring out a young star of a new famous sitcom, dad would have no idea who it was. I'd be shocked because the person was a big star. Dad would shrug and say he didn't care in the slightest. Now that's me. I visit my sister in Orlando. She is more than a decade younger and really big into entertainment, along with her entire family. Heck, they bought a home in Winter Garden so they could see the fireworks displays from Disney. I'll visit and they'll turn on a current show or recent movie, then be stunned when I've never heard of the show or the movie or any of the actors. Same thing on YouGov surveys. They ask about one celebrity after another and I click the "Not Familiar With" box. Yeah, but I do know everything about women's curling. Ask about them. As you get older it's wonderful that peer pressure fades away. And you realize it never should have played a role in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom