What is your greatest draft day fear? | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is your greatest draft day fear?

We need a above average back, not necessarily 1800 although no one like Watching RW more than me, but need to find our QB and line pronto

Another point I'd like to make is, I believe if my offensive line is good enough, I really don't need one guy to rush for 1800 yards. I would rather pay two or three guys a total of say like $6 million than to pay big money to one high priced running back. New England has done that for years. The 49ers tried to pay two different guys big money at the RB position but ultimately rode an undrafted free agent running back who was cut by six different teams all the way through the playoffs and Super Bowl.
Of course they did that with a HOF coach and QB, take that away and you have 8 wins

We were 9-7 when Ricky ran for 1800 yards. That was with fielder and Lucas as starting qb!!!! Give even fitz an 1800 back and we are in the playoffs. Now add that back to our team with 100M and 14 pick and you don't think it will translate to wins??? That is an extraordinary obtuse stance.
First of all, Melvin Gordon is not going to rush for 1800 yards. That's an obtuse stance. He's just not that special, especially on a roster like Miami's. It is just ludicrous to pour money into the running back position on an totally rebuilding team. Just take a look at the NY Giants. They have one of the best RBs in the league and they have 9-23 record over the stretch of Saquan Barkley's career so far. Someone challenged me about my stance that I couldn't think of a team signing a big ticket running back and it working out. That person said Marshawn Lynch. Actually Seattle finished 7-9 two seasons in a row with the "great" Marshawn Lynch. It wasn't until Russell Wilson showed up that the Seahawks finally took off and started winning at a consistently high level.

Of course they did that with a HOF coach and QB, take that away and you have 8 wins
How did the 49ers do it? My point is, you don't need an elite running back to be a good or great team in the NFL or to even be a good rushing offense. The Chiefs had nothing more than a complimentary running game and they went on to win the Super Bowl. The Chiefs, 49ers, Patriots, and Eagles all use a committee of backs to get the job done.

How did the 49ers do it? My point is, you don't need an elite running back to be a good or great team in the NFL or to even be a good rushing offense. The Chiefs had nothing more than a complimentary running game and they went on to win the Super Bowl. The Chiefs, 49ers, Patriots, and Eagles all use a committee of backs to get the job done.
I agree with you man, QB oline, then a nice complementary back. I'd draft one high second round if one of the proposed studs is there but wouldn't pay big $$$ for a FA

Why don't you rattle off all of those star players of the 2-14 Bengals. There's virtually no difference between Miami and Cincinnati as far as talent is concerned. On top of that, if Flores is as good as many on this site believes he is, he should be able to coach guys up. There is no hiding bad QB play.

I'm not going to waste my time because you've pretty much just stated you believe talent and record are the same.

First of all, Melvin Gordon is not going to rush for 1800 yards. That's an obtuse stance. He's just not that special, especially on a roster like Miami's. It is just ludicrous to pour money into the running back position on an totally rebuilding team. Just take a look at the NY Giants. They have one of the best RBs in the league and they have 9-23 record over the stretch of Saquan Barkley's career so far. Someone challenged me about my stance that I couldn't think of a team signing a big ticket running back and it working out. That person said Marshawn Lynch. Actually Seattle finished 7-9 two seasons in a row with the "great" Marshawn Lynch. It wasn't until Russell Wilson showed up that the Seahawks finally took off and started winning at a consistently high level.

The only similarity between Gordon and Ricky is that Gordon thinks he's as good as Ricky. He's at best an average running back, which is easily replaceable in this day and age, and he was stupid to hold out.

I'm not going to waste my time because you've pretty much just stated you believe talent and record are the same.
No come on, we have all the time in the world now that the coronavirus has put the whole planet on hold. How much more talent do you believe Cincinnati has over Miami? Believe me, I know how bad Miami's roster is, but if you find an elite QB, you would be amazed how fast things will start to turn around. Between free agency and the draft you should be able to find a QB, two to three offensive lineman, and a running back. That would be a nice talent infusion to get the offense jump started in the right direction. That's the way I would concentrate on building this team. Focus on the offense first, because that takes the most time and talent to become elite and gives you the best chance of sustained success.

The only similarity between Gordon and Ricky is that Gordon thinks he's as good as Ricky. He's at best an average running back, which is easily replaceable in this day and age, and he was stupid to hold out.
I whole heartedly agree. Like I said, I would never pay a running back big money. I don't care who he is. I wouldn't pay them and I wouldn't draft them before the second round. Even the second round would be pushing it for me, but I could live with it. I know many people think Mel Kiper is a tool, but he always said he would never draft a running back in the first round even back in the day when that was the in vogue thing to do. He was right then, and his point is even more valid in this era of football.

No come on, we have all the time in the world now that the coronavirus has put the whole planet on hold. How much more talent do you believe Cincinnati has over Miami? Believe me, I know how bad Miami's roster is, but if you find an elite QB, you would be amazed how fast things will start to turn around. Between free agency and the draft you should be able to find a QB, two to three offensive lineman, and a running back. That would be a nice talent infusion to get the offense jump started in the right direction. That's the way I would concentrate on building this team. Focus on the offense first, because that takes the most time and talent to become elite and gives you the best chance of sustained success.

I think Tua, injury matters aside, is an elite QB PROSPECT. But I don't see him entering Miami and being an elite QB. Pat Mahomes could come here and still do a great job, but he's also learned the game now under one of the best QB whisperers around.

That we negotiate a move away from the spots we have...stay put!

I think Tua, injury matters aside, is an elite QB PROSPECT. But I don't see him entering Miami and being an elite QB. Pat Mahomes could come here and still do a great job, but he's also learned the game now under one of the best QB whisperers around.
Well I guess there's no point in drafting an elite QB prospect then. :rolleyes:

You don’t need elite WR’s either as evidenced by this group. You can’t compare NE as Brady chose to be underpaid for years. The Chiefs followed the stud QB route, SF the great D and game manager QB and Philly? Wentz was having an MVP season until he went down.

You can win a few ways. But Henry put Tennessee on his back and did well until the 4th qtr of the AFC Championship game. As for a stud RB. Seeing how badly we have whiffed in late 1st round picks such as Harris, Misi, Odrick, etc... I would take 4-5 years of elite production then worry about that 2nd contract. We already know we aren’t worried about giving those other guys one.

Back
Top Bottom