What is your greatest draft day fear? | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is your greatest draft day fear?

My greatest fear seems to be becoming more and more realistic once you see how many pieces we acquired in free agency. We practically built the defense in FA. That tells me we won't be needing 14 draft picks.

I think we are going to trade the farm to get Burrow.

I had hoped we were going to use all of this draft capital to build from the ground up. I sense now that is not the case. At the end of the day, those 5 wins will hurt us when we see the amount of capital we will pay to get the missing piece; QB. Granted, the wins have intrinsic value in team building.

But let's face it, if you want to make a real turnaround with your new QB in Year 1, you have to make the playoffs. The most obvious side of the ball to invest in to help that outcome is the D.

I don't care what Cincy says... I'm getting this feeling we could see as many as three #1 draft picks traded to get Burrow.

I prefer we stay at 5 and get as many 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks as possible. But I think the reality now is you go get your QB and worry about the cost later.

Number of players off the board in between selections in parenthesis.

1-5 (12) 1-18 (7) 1-26 (12) 2-39 (16) 2-56 (13) 3-70 (70) 4-141 (11) 5-153 (0) 5-154 (18) 5-173 (11) 6-185 (41) 7-227 (18) 7-246 (4) 7-251

Totally 100% agree with your "gap theory!"

Don't see Mister Grier and Flores sitting back while 70 (!) quality players get grabbed
before we get proactive and intervene. The slot you've identified is a prime place for
us to make a move (maybe even 2) and get aggressive with the ammo we've got.

Of course so much of this is contingent on the insights of dudes like Marvelous Marvin
and Reggie IMO. If they are super confident on our take for the bottom end of the draft
I'd assume we'd tend to be a tad less aggressive...

But hell yeah -- dipping into (or around) the top 100 is a good move in my opinion.

BNF

Drafting Love at any position would be a disaster and is my biggest draft day fear. It's not just because I'm not a fan of "athletic" QB's. It's because he's going to need an infrastructure that's already in place. That's why Mahomes ended up being successful. Do you think if Mahomes were drafted by the Dolphins that he would have fared well? Hell no he wouldn't. Teams like Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, and possibly Las Vegas would be much better landing spots for him. Let some other team take that risk with him.

I'll throw myself into Biscayne Bay if they draft this athlete masquerading as a QB. I hope Grier and Flores aren't stupid enough to go in this direction.

Why is Love an "athletic QB"? He didn't run the ball in college and would be hardly be considered a "dual-threat" QB.

You really have no idea what you are talking about. Shame, shame...

This owner and Grier with his scouting staff have already done as much damage to this organization over the past decade that I can be optimistic that with all these picks they may make some good ones.
we have had good luck when players have fallen so maybe that trend continues. Just dont take another Charles Harris. Last years draft did little although Wilkens is probably going to be a good player for a long time. the rest of that draft though looks horrible. We need a pass rusher really bad. other major needs everywhere OL is a mess, rb is weak, dl medicore. maybe linebacking will be an upgrade and corners should be very good. Qb is absent but most think we will draft one

So was drafting Harris, Odrick, etc... way worse value than any of these RB’s
Not really. It's smart to draft high value position players in the first round. Odrick was average and Harris is a bad, but taking those positions in the first round makes way more sense than taking a running back. Miami just happened to get the player evaluations on those particular players wrong. Drafting good players matters, but drafting good players at high value positions in the first round matters way more because of the implication it has on the salary cap.

Back
Top Bottom