What it took the Browns to "Turn It Around" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What it took the Browns to "Turn It Around"

They hit on Mayfield. Take that away and the Browns would be struggling like many other teams.
Lol mayfield. Lol lol lol. If you think that is a hit and why they are winning I have to question you. I was starting to believe some of your thoughts about tua and qb till you said they hit on mayfield.

I outlined how they turned it around

Great pass rusher
Great line with 0nly two players drafted by team.
Great running backs.

The rest falls in place. Especially an average qb like mayfield

Flo and Grier might not be able get jobs done but new Gm and new coach might be able too...I dont think dolphins are that far away from being playoff team. That 2020 draft class is going be big problem for dolphins.. I might be wrong for saying this...they need replace all 3 players draft in that yr. Ot,wr,qb,rb,olb and dt. that our problem area.
1..Wr cant stay healthy. Need better wr.
2. QB is unknown
3. OT need be add in free agent
4 Olb
5 DT run stop another one..

The Browns are not in year five or six or ten or twenty of a rebuild. Each attempt at a rebuild was a siloed, discrete event, not one long uninterrupted event. The Browns attempted several, separate rebuilds which did not work, so they tried again. Each new rebuild is a separate process, not part of a longer meta-process. Why assume that the current attempt at a rebuild in Miami is part of some larger meta-process instead of just another failed discrete event?

And why compare us to the Browns? Because now they're a playoff team and in hindsight you can say "yes, we're only in stage one of a larger rebuild, yet we're further ahead than they are?" This is just nonsense Why isn't our rebuild more akin to the Jets or Lions?

THe Browns' experience rejects your premise completely in any case. They were quick to hit the reset button when it was obvious to them it wasn't working. They didn't stay the course as you'd have the Dolphins do. They were quick to try again when it was obvious it wasn't working.
That is not what their W-L history supports!

Having the number one overall pick twice in a 3 year period plus the first pick every round will do wonders to help a team out quickly. Especially the first pick day 2 and day 3. Miami the last two year could have traded back on the Austin pick, Noah pick, and kept #3 overall this year or traded it for better than back to 12 and back up to 6. Take the Austin and Noah picks - could have moved them for a second last year and a 1st in 2021 or 2022. our mistake is you need to take players who can impact a game all game - QB’s, Edge rushers, ballhawks…. WR’s can be found anywhere as well as RB’s. We have used 1’s on Parker, Waddle, 2’s on Gesicki and still have an inept offense. Davante Adams was a second rounder, Tyreek Hill 4th, Cooper Kupp, DK Metcalf…. list goes on.

Try counting again:

1) 2016 1-15
2) 2017 0-16
3) 2018 7-8
4) 2019 6-10
5) 2020 11-5

Five seasons to go from 1-15 to 11-5
Four seasons to go from 0-16 to 11-5

Why you ignored 2016 beats me.

It's actually worse then that
2013 4-12
2014 7-9
2015 3-13
As you can see they were uneven and sinking in those years.

Their big drafts started in 2015.

I felt that 2015 was the year the year they started the rebuild, based on the size of the draft. I started my chart one year earlier just to allow some perspective without going all the way back to 1999 when they were
reconstituted. back in Cleveland.
I didn’t count those earlier times because none of it is relevant to their current rebuild. Their current rebuild started after 0-16 when they completely bottomed out. In three seasons AFTER 0-16 they went to 11-5. You don’t understand how to count much less evaluate a rebuild. You don’t evaluate their rebuild based on the umpteen GMs and coaches before the current crew. None of that is relevant to how their current group’s rebuild is going.

Cleveland’s offense is light years ahead of ours and they have Myles Garret on defense who is a straight beast and probably the best player on either team. They have more talent on their roster in my opinion. If we could actually draft well it would be a different story.

What it took the Browns to "Turn It Around"

Cleveland Browns Record over the last 8 years
YearW-L RecordH.C. CoachQBQBQBDraft SizeQB Drafted
20147-9Mike PettineBrian HoyerBrandon Weeden61-22 Manzell
20153-13"Josh McGownJohnny ManzellConor Shin12
20161-15Hue JacksonCody KesslerRobert Griffin IIIJosh McGown143-93 Kessler
20170-16"Deshone KaiserKevin Hogan102-52 Kaiser
20187-8"Baker MayfieldTyrod Taylor91-1 Mayfield
20196-10Freddie KitchensBaker Mayfield7
202011-5Kevin StefanskiBaker Mayfield7
2021"Baker Mayfield8

If we only look at the last 6 years (2015 to 2020) This is what I see:
1) A losing record for all but 2020, or a 1-5 record for winning seasons.
2) The Browns went through 3 Head coaches (to-date).
3) The Browns went through 10 QB's to get to Baker Mayfield.
4) The Browns had 4 big drafts of 12, 14, 10 and 9 from 2015-2018
5) The Browns drafted 4 QB's over 2014 to 2018 (Manzell Rd#1-pick#22, Kessler Rd#3-pick#93, Kaiser Rd#2-pick#52 and Mayfield Rd#1-Pick#1)

So the Browns turnaround took (at the very least) 6 years, during which they burned thru 3 HC's, 4 drafted QB's and a total of 10 QB's overall.

As of today they have a 1-5 seasonal record where they won more then 1/2 of their games.

We are 3 years into a rebuild with a 1-1 seasonal record where we won more then 1/2 our games.
We have drafted 1 QB who is still considered our best QB.
We are still "working" on our 1st HC.

It is clear BEYOUND QUESTION that we are miles ahead of what Cleveland did to establish their turn around and that is just looking at their last 6 complete seasons. Go back another 10 years and their results are even worse!

If anyone on this board still thinks we need to "start all over again" please identify yourselves" so I can see you get all the "Lemming" points you so justly deserve!

30 years of "experience my **s.

More like 30 years of an experience from where you learned "diddly squat".
So which Coach on the Cleveland equation is Flo? Surely not Stefanski.

No we are not miles ahead. It takes two things and one more. It takes a QB who will give you competitive edge. The Browns did turn it around until they drafted Mayfield. Second thing you need is great defensive coordinator, and the Browns do not have that. We do not have that either. And I do not see how our QB gives us any competitive edge. But to get the QB, we need a GM so that is kind of the third thing, although you only really need a QB and DC.
I think you have forgotten how Baker was almost run out of Cleveland b/c of his average play first couple of years.
He looks good now b/c the team and offense are good, OL top 3, WR/TE strong, RB strong. He needs help, like most QB’s in the NFL, I think our QB will ultimately be as good as this, if he gets the same chance and environment is yet to be seen…….

Why would the Browns be an example of anything except how to get a stud running game?

I think you have forgotten how Baker was almost run out of Cleveland b/c of his average play first couple of years.
He looks good now b/c the team and offense are good, OL top 3, WR/TE strong, RB strong. He needs help, like most QB’s in the NFL, I think our QB will ultimately be as good as this, if he gets the same chance and environment is yet to be seen…….
Exactly. Put Tua on the Browns and he would be an all pro QB. Put Mayfield on the Dolphins and fans would be calling for them to trade for Watson or draft another QB in next years draft.
It helps when you have the best OL in the league and RB’s who gain almost 200 on the ground each week.. Also having a top ten defense gives the offense more possessions each game.

Even with all those advantages, Mayfield has thrown for 4 td passes and 2 ints in 5 games. Those stats would get him benched on most teams in the NFL.

The Browns have better coaching, more consistent play at QB, a rock star RB, strong OL, Strong DL, etc.

How we knew that we needed a top flight RB to help our QB's last year and all we did was get a career nobody in Malcom Brown is insane.

The Browns have better coaching, more consistent play at QB, a rock star RB, strong OL, Strong DL, etc.

How we knew that we needed a top flight RB to help our QB's last year and all we did was get a career nobody in Malcom Brown is insane.
Not sure how a QB that has thrown 4 TD passes in 5 games is considered a rock star but everyone is entitled to their own interpretation of what constitutes a , “Rock Star”.

Back
Top Bottom