What it took the Browns to "Turn It Around" | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What it took the Browns to "Turn It Around"

All I know is if we can learn from them how to build an OL, I will take it. With defenses, these days, having a kick-butt OL isn't the end all be all, but it sure helps.

There's no secret sauce in the spaghetti...build the trenches! Run and stop the run...pass and hit the QB...no secret at all.

The Browns don't have an elite QB, they have a "good" QB (imagine that team with Rodgers, Brady, or Wilson). The lines bake the cake, but you still need icing. Will they be able to take the step to the next level? Remains to be seen, but they've definitely done a 180.

Pardon the food references...I'm hungry.

Having the number one overall pick twice in a 3 year period plus the first pick every round will do wonders to help a team out quickly. Especially the first pick day 2 and day 3. Miami the last two year could have traded back on the Austin pick, Noah pick, and kept #3 overall this year or traded it for better than back to 12 and back up to 6. Take the Austin and Noah picks - could have moved them for a second last year and a 1st in 2021 or 2022. our mistake is you need to take players who can impact a game all game - QB’s, Edge rushers, ballhawks…. WR’s can be found anywhere as well as RB’s. We have used 1’s on Parker, Waddle, 2’s on Gesicki and still have an inept offense. Davante Adams was a second rounder, Tyreek Hill 4th, Cooper Kupp, DK Metcalf…. list goes on.
Our biggest mistake as fans is when we feel our preferred draft picks are better then the Teams and go on to prove it by showing how well our favorite draft picks fared on other teams - LOL

The "ONLY THING THAT COUNTS" is on how a fan's favorite preforms on our team.

Imagine if Stafford had played QB for us once he got into the NFL. Would we be better or worse then we are now?

I'm warning all potential repliers that I'm perfectly willing to use Tannehill's performance after leaving the Dolphins as proof of what I'm saying. You've been forewarned - LOL

Our biggest mistake as fans is when we feel our preferred draft picks are better then the Teams and go on to prove it by showing how well our favorite draft picks fared on other teams - LOL

The "ONLY THING THAT COUNTS" is on how a fan's favorite preforms on our team.

Imagine if Stafford had played QB for us once he got into the NFL. Would we be better or worse then we are now?

I'm warning all potential repliers that I'm perfectly willing to use Tannehill's performance after leaving the Dolphins as proof of what I'm saying. You've been forewarned - LOL
It’s funny how many posters have come out of the woodwork now and state that they preferred Herbert over Tua before the 2020 draft. I certainly don’t remember many Herbert fans posting prior to that draft.

I didn’t count those earlier times because none of it is relevant to their current rebuild. Their current rebuild started after 0-16 when they completely bottomed out. In three seasons AFTER 0-16 they went to 11-5. You don’t understand how to count much less evaluate a rebuild. You don’t evaluate their rebuild based on the umpteen GMs and coaches before the current crew. None of that is relevant to how their current group’s rebuild is going.
No it didn't!

It started when they created their first giant draft of 12 picks. That was 2015.

Don't let the 0-16 W-L fool you, they were 3-13 in 2015 an 1-15 in 2016. That should be bad enough to signal the start of a rebuild, even for a Dolphins fan - LOL

The real identifier for a rebuild is stripping a team down and creating a giant draft. To save time and effort I limited myself to looking for the giant drafts.

For the Browns, this started in 2015 with a draft of 12 picks, followed by 2016 with an even larger draft of 14 followed by 2017 with a draft of 10 picks, so you can see they were rebuilding long before 2016. They just did not have much success early in their rebuild, Unlike the Dolphins - like it or not - LOL

Yes I am laughing at you for not seeing this when it was as plain as in "the nose on your face" - LOL

Please note this is the third time I've explained why their rebuild started in 2015 - If you can't see it by now, I don't think anything will help you - they only make corrective lenses so big and even then that doesn't help the blind - LOL

yikes… when you’re comparing yourself to the Browns, you know your organization is in shambles.

Sad time to be a Fins fan.

What it took the Browns to "Turn It Around"

Cleveland Browns Record over the last 8 years
YearW-L RecordH.C. CoachQBQBQBDraft SizeQB Drafted
20147-9Mike PettineBrian HoyerBrandon Weeden61-22 Manzell
20153-13"Josh McGownJohnny ManzellConor Shin12
20161-15Hue JacksonCody KesslerRobert Griffin IIIJosh McGown143-93 Kessler
20170-16"Deshone KaiserKevin Hogan102-52 Kaiser
20187-8"Baker MayfieldTyrod Taylor91-1 Mayfield
20196-10Freddie KitchensBaker Mayfield7
202011-5Kevin StefanskiBaker Mayfield7
2021"Baker Mayfield8

If we only look at the last 6 years (2015 to 2020) This is what I see:
1) A losing record for all but 2020, or a 1-5 record for winning seasons.
2) The Browns went through 3 Head coaches (to-date).
3) The Browns went through 10 QB's to get to Baker Mayfield.
4) The Browns had 4 big drafts of 12, 14, 10 and 9 from 2015-2018
5) The Browns drafted 4 QB's over 2014 to 2018 (Manzell Rd#1-pick#22, Kessler Rd#3-pick#93, Kaiser Rd#2-pick#52 and Mayfield Rd#1-Pick#1)

So the Browns turnaround took (at the very least) 6 years, during which they burned thru 3 HC's, 4 drafted QB's and a total of 10 QB's overall.

As of today they have a 1-5 seasonal record where they won more then 1/2 of their games.

We are 3 years into a rebuild with a 1-1 seasonal record where we won more then 1/2 our games.
We have drafted 1 QB who is still considered our best QB.
We are still "working" on our 1st HC.

It is clear BEYOUND QUESTION that we are miles ahead of what Cleveland did to establish their turn around and that is just looking at their last 6 complete seasons. Go back another 10 years and their results are even worse!

If anyone on this board still thinks we need to "start all over again" please identify yourselves" so I can see you get all the "Lemming" points you so justly deserve!

30 years of "experience my **s.

More like 30 years of an experience from where you learned "diddly squat".

I may not agree with some of the specifics, but your bolded point is reasonable. I would add every team with a long-term losing record is in some stage of rebuild whether it's admitted or not. Personally, I don't like "rebuild" - it seems to carry with it a sense of certainty ('I'm rebuilding my house.'). I'll not give my 'takes luck' sermon here, but, to me, these attempts by teams are more like recovering from a failed relationship. I'll likely try a number of times before I find Ms. Right - fail, but keep trying. Try until luck gives some assistance.
All the above means Mia may HAVE TO "start all over again." Maybe not. In spite of the sky-is-falling crowd, all the evidence isn't in. what fans have doesn't look optimistic, but it doesn't guarantee failure. The problem is so many of us have witnessed failure for so long, we can see it 10 out of 9 times.

Well to be fair they have done a better job than the dolphins. At least they are fielding an actual nfl team
They are doing better only because they have been rebuilding for years with top 5 picks, year after year. Eventually they were bound to hire the right GM and HC who could get that talent to play better.

There's no secret sauce in the spaghetti...build the trenches! Run and stop the run...pass and hit the QB...no secret at all.

The Browns don't have an elite QB, they have a "good" QB (imagine that team with Rodgers, Brady, or Wilson). The lines bake the cake, but you still need icing. Will they be able to take the step to the next level? Remains to be seen, but they've definitely done a 180.

Pardon the food references...I'm hungry.

Agree.

Seattle hasn't add an elite OL. Yet, competent enough to let RW work his magic.

You're forgetting that other teams don't blow draft picks like the Browns though (except the Dolphins). It takes most team 2-3 years to rebuild, get rid of old FA contracts, dead money, and older players. If they picked the right QB and a few other key positions, paired with the right coach, they're usually competitive sooner than 6 years.

FYI - the Browns have been in a rebuild waaaaaaay longer than 6 years. More like 4 decades really. They are not the organization that we should base our progress off of.

Back
Top Bottom