what kind of offense will we run????? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

what kind of offense will we run?????

oh and how is it different that the offenses we have ran in the past?

.....I watched a few games of Minnesota this season and the offense looks more of a deeper passes. Also the passing game seemed more vertical rather than our past offenses where we are more conservative.

I watched several Viking games in the past two years (due to owning several players in fantasy ball). They generally run a 1 back offense with either two TE's or 3 WR's.

They do like to go deep, but they also use their backs extensively in the passing game. Of course, having an accurate QB is a big factor. Culpepper was great in that offense - but Frerotte did very well also. Having Moss really helped as well. However, the offense was still productive without him.

But, imo, we need for all the WR's to be able to get separation deep. I think we need at least one more WR with speed to enter the picture.

One thing about the Vikings offense was that they were able to use multiple backs. Last year they had 3 RB's (Bennett; Smith; Moore) and then Moe Williams for short yardage. Getting another RB would be great - but, I don't think he has to be one of the top three if we can get a rookie and get decent production from some of the vets there already.

Interestingly - the Vikings also seemed to like massive linemen. We do have a pretty big OL. Hopefully they will fit well with the style of offense. I think Hudson Houck will help this offense. If he were in Minnesota - their offense would have been even better.

Da 'Fins said:
I watched several Viking games in the past two years (due to owning several players in fantasy ball). They generally run a 1 back offense with either two TE's or 3 WR's.

They do like to go deep, but they also use their backs extensively in the passing game. Of course, having an accurate QB is a big factor. Culpepper was great in that offense - but Frerotte did very well also. Having Moss really helped as well. However, the offense was still productive without him.

But, imo, we need for all the WR's to be able to get separation deep. I think we need at least one more WR with speed to enter the picture.

One thing about the Vikings offense was that they were able to use multiple backs. Last year they had 3 RB's (Bennett; Smith; Moore) and then Moe Williams for short yardage. Getting another RB would be great - but, I don't think he has to be one of the top three if we can get a rookie and get decent production from some of the vets there already.

Interestingly - the Vikings also seemed to like massive linemen. We do have a pretty big OL. Hopefully they will fit well with the style of offense. I think Hudson Houck will help this offense. If he were in Minnesota - their offense would have been even better.

Great description. I think we have speedy Chambers, Gilmore, and hopefully another WR from the draft. We have nice big targets like Thompson and Booker. Hopefully this will suit his system. As for TE's we have McMichael and Lee, both good athletic pass catchers. Add to that our stud RB from the draft, speedy Minor and Gordon and I think we have pretty much the same personnel as the Vikes last year. Our OL might be the difference though. How good was the Vikes OL last year and how does it compare to ours?

This is obviously assuming Feeley can work a dip and dunk system and throw a regular deep ball (which from what I saw last year it seems he can do.. though maybe not accurately.. heheh).

The Vikes OL is a top 5 OL. They are going to improve even more now that Dorsey is getting reps. at RT.

Da 'Fins hit it on the head. That's the offense in a nutshell. I too watched the Vikings several times the past few years because of fantasy football.. One Back set, 3 Wr's or 2 TE's... no rhyme or reason really to anything they do, they just take advantage of the defenses weakness. Should be fun, especially if we get Edwards OR Brown. Either will prosper in this offense.

Ok, so here' a question then: Based on the offense we're likely to run (1 RB, 2 TE's and 3 WE's), who would be the best player to draft? We don't need a workhorse RB anymore, do we put emphasis on a WR, QB or RB??

People don't quite understand. Linehan built that offense that way because that was the best use of talent he had. This offense will have some similarities like Heath Evans at H-back but if we don't have another bonified #3 WR then we won't do much 3 WR.

Pericles349 said:
Ok, so here' a question then: Based on the offense we're likely to run (1 RB, 2 TE's and 3 WE's), who would be the best player to draft? We don't need a workhorse RB anymore, do we put emphasis on a WR, QB or RB??

QB or WR....

Chambers and Edwards as the speed guys on the outside with Booker as the possession slot receiver....chills down the defense's spine

however, we do need a QB to get it to them consistently. Frerotte can fill in for next year just fine, but you need somebody to groom. Unfortunately, we don't have a 2nd rounder right now, so Campbell and McPherson are out of the picture...thats one of the biggest reasons I'm pro-Smith or Rodgers....only because we dont have that high 2nd....that, and because I think both are potential franchise QBs

Pericles349 said:

IMO all three. We need a BIG fast WR (Edwards, Jones or Vincent Jackson), a back(Brown or Arrington) with good hands and a QB who can throw the long ball (Walter)

It's crazy, it would seem that we really don't need a RB that much. I'm starting to think that Smith or Edwards might be the best option... anyone else agree?

I would love to get Caddy who has good hands and is great in the open field with YAC. And I would love to get Roby or Henry. That way we could have a bonified slot receiver who can legitimately go deep and a great RB with good hands.

Back
Top Bottom