What made you a fan and why are you still here | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What made you a fan and why are you still here

I was a kid, i don't remember exactly how old... my grandparents moved somewhere in Florida and as a result, my dad jumped on the Marino bandwagon. Boom I'm a Dolphins fan!
We were from Michigan, i tried to like Barry Sanders, but somehow my dad always liked the dolphins better. I was all in.
Then we moved to Wisconsin. Packers sucked, don majkowski lol. Favre comes, wins a superbowl and whatever. I liked their receiver corps though. But all of a sudden my whole family is packer fans.
Now I'm stubborn, so only my uncle and i stayed die hard dolphins fans. My brother watches but likes the packers better, but for some reason i couldn't let go. Never even lived in Florida, I've visited a lot though.

So... here we are. What about you?

*sigh* unfortunately, there was a tv show in the 70’s called “Flipper”. I loved the tv show and I loved Flipper, and around the same time in about 1974 I saw my first football game on tv. The Miami Dolphins were playing some other team, I can’t remember who, but they had a dolphin on the side of their helmet and they actually had their very own “Flipper” in a pool at the end of the field who would do tricks at half time. This is why I became a fan, because I loved that stupid Dolphin, who ironically actually commmited suicide years later. (I’m serious, you can google that)

Anywho...I enjoyed the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s, but have sadly suffered greatly the past two decades as a Dolphins fan. But, I am loyal and keep coming back. The off season is our super bowl, sadly. I hope we choose and invest wisely, and can turn this around quickly.

I started watching football late in the '81 season, but I didn't have a team. The Whiners or Traitors would be my local teams, but I rooted for the Bengals in the SB, because I liked their helmets.

During the '82 season, it was one play, by Woodley, believe it or not, that made me a fan. He was running, and his jersey was being ripped off, but he kept barreling.

I became a fan of the Dolphins, got my heart broken by Riggins, got very excited the next year, when Marino was drafted and started playing, and I've had my heart broken ever since.

My Dad was raised in Orlando as a Dolphins fan.... Even though I was born and raised in Wisconsin, I'll be here until the end.... Even after the end I'll still be a Fins fan.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm like a battered woman in a domestic violent relationship but I still love him and I don't know why.

Super Bowl 17 vs Redskins.

Parents had a SB party at the house. All my drunk uncles and aunts were hooping and hollering this "Hail To The Redskins" mumbo jumbo. As a 5 year old all that carrying on annoyed me so I figure WTH I'll be an outcast and root for the Dolphins. Fulton's KO return for TD in 2nd half you could hear a rat piss on cotton it was so quiet. Unfortunately Riggins crushed my spirit; cried my eyes out the rest of the night.

Fast forward a few months later..."with the 27th pick the Miami Dolphins select....QB Dan Marino University of Pittsburgh. #13 sealed the deal.

Why am I still here? Unwavering loyalty

I now can relate to the pain of RedSox Nation and Cubs fans. They reached the mountain top; I'm patiently waiting (35+ years and counting) for THAT moment to happen to the Dolphins.

FINS UP!!!!

Last edited:
I think they show a couple of games back in the 80's in Denmark, but since i wasn't even born at that time i jumped on the wagon in the early 00's when they started to show weekly games from NFL on the second biggest TV channel here. Back then i didn't really root for any team i just found the game interesting and have to settle for who ever they were showing in television. If i remember correctly there was not many Dolphins games back then so i actually started to like Seahawks a lot. But after some time I realized i would like to pick a team that nobody really "knew" to much about in my country and that pick ended up with being Dolphins. I liked the jersey, colors, logo etc.

It seems like a "cheap" reason to become a fan but i have sticked with it ever since. i do not regret it even though most of my seasons as a fan have not been very succesfull.

Grew up in Florida and I have no idea why Im still a fan......hope.

Marino was my guy from 1990 on. Why? I don’t even remember.

Why am I still here? I don’t and can’t just leave to like anyone else.

My father is a Dolphins fan, since 1968.

So I inherited them. Been a fan since 1976 when I was just barely old enough to understand what was going on.

Don Strock and Vern Den Herder. My all time favorite Dolphins. Heroes when I was a kid. Still are.

I love em. I hate what they are, but I love what they were.

Hell, I can’t quit them. Oh, I’ve sworn em off many times, but always go back.

So I gotta suffer with them. They’re my team. Always will be.

But I feel bad for my sons. As I inherited Miami from my father, my boys inherited them from me. And it ain’t so fun these days.

I was a kid, i don't remember exactly how old... my grandparents moved somewhere in Florida and as a result, my dad jumped on the Marino bandwagon. Boom I'm a Dolphins fan!
We were from Michigan, i tried to like Barry Sanders, but somehow my dad always liked the dolphins better. I was all in.
Then we moved to Wisconsin. Packers sucked, don majkowski lol. Favre comes, wins a superbowl and whatever. I liked their receiver corps though. But all of a sudden my whole family is packer fans.
Now I'm stubborn, so only my uncle and i stayed die hard dolphins fans. My brother watches but likes the packers better, but for some reason i couldn't let go. Never even lived in Florida, I've visited a lot though.

So... here we are. What about you?

7 years old. first game i remember the dolphins beat the vikings in the superbowl.. fan ever since

I started watching football the 07 season when I was about 13. The year we went 1-15. I just wanted us to win 1 game and we finally did against the ravens lol every since then I stuck with the team hoping we can get better

Grew up watching Marino and became a fan. I live in Boise Idaho, I literally couldn’t have picked a team further away to root for.
I’m just waiting for the day the dolphins are finally good, and I get accused of being a bandwaggoner. I’ll swiftly pull out my Henne/Ricky/chambers jerseys! Ah, one can dream!

Back
Top Bottom