What made you a fan and why are you still here | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What made you a fan and why are you still here

Ended up following a lot of the local South Florida teams. Just dropped the Marlins as I grew sick of their ****.

Cowboys fan who saw Jimmy in Dallas, so seeing him and Marion join the Dolphins made sense to then watch the Fins. Then players like Zach, Taylor, Surtain, Tim Bowen, Armstrong, Gardner etc was a fun defense to watch.

Still here cause Football is good entertainment and a break from reality. Not as enjoyable to watch compared to years ago, but usually it was fun to at least see some young guys develop into a good player.

When I was little (mid 1990's), I got a Cowboys hat from my grandparents for Christmas and my brother got a Dolphins hat. He kept on crying that he wanted the Cowboys hat so I switched with him to shut him up. I've been a Dolphins fan ever since. Why couldn't it have been a Patriots hat?!!

Back in 71' at 7 years old I asked my mother why my older brother got to stay home and watch football and I had to go to church. She told me the next year I could decide if I wanted to stay home and watch football or go to church. Dolphins on TV every week during their undefeated season. Been a fan ever since.

First football game ever was Peyton vs Marino i think 1999 been a dolphin fan ever since
Reason: misery loves company ;)

Grew up in FL and my dad was a huge dolphins fan. I remember watching the 84 season with my dad when I was 3. Ever since that time I never missed a game.

For me my Nonno and my pops were gangsters back in the days. My Nonno ran with Al Capone in Chicago he and my dad was a Bears fans like forever. When my pops turned 32 in '69 he was always a gangster he moved to Queens. During '69 he went back to Naples, Italy got married to Ma an returned back to New York. In 1970 I was born in Queens. When I was 2 my pops gave a 1972 World Champions Stuffed Dolphin and threw it in my crib. I love it so much. My pops he loved the Bears because of my Nonno but, we lived in Queens with JETS, GIANTS, YANKEES, and METS. When I was 8 he moved us (my family) to Rialto, CA. Because it was getting bad in Queens as he used to run with the Castellano and Gotti back in the days. When we moved I still had my stuffed Dolphin. When I turn 12 he, my brother Giovanni, and I were watching the AFC Championship Game between the New York Jets and the Miami Dolphins we won 14-0 to go to the Super Bowl XVII. I told my pops I like that team. I like Dolphins. He told me I am taking you to see the Super Bowl in Pasadena. I did not know much about the Dolphins. So when we went to the game I was so excited. When we loss, I cried. My pops said to me remember that dolphin I gave you in '72? I still have it. They won it all that year they went 17-0 and they did not lose a game. I want to be Dolphins Fan pop. That's okay me and your brother will be Bears fan. Don't worry too much about this team they will be back. So from 1982 to this day I never miss a game. 37+ years. My pops was right 2 years later we go to another Super Bowl with Dan Marino. I went to Super Bowl XIX in Paolo Alto, CA and we loss to the 49ers with 2nd all time GOAT Joe Montana 38-16. I told myself we'll get back this team is too good not to. Well, we haven't been back since. Still waiting...... Why I am I still here? I will never be a fan of any other team my Miami Dolphins and my Los Angeles Kings are like something I cannot live without my MAFIA. WIN OR LOSE I am always here cheering them on and one day before I die I will see them hoist #3 high in the sky an say finally I can die knowing I saw a Super Bowl Championship..................... I already have half of my life long dream fulfilled as my Kings won 2 Stanley Cups back in 2012 and 2014. Once a FANATIC always a FANATIC. GO DOLPHINS!!!

Last edited:
I watched Chris chambers/fiedler connect on two late touchdowns against the bills in 2001. I was like "hey I like that team". Nobody tried to stop me and since then I've been rolling with them

Being from Australia we don’t get much coverage of NFL. Especially back when there was no internet. We would get weekly highlights and usually it was Dan Marino. In 99’ I moved to the states to work on cruise ships and new straight away the Fins were the team for me.
Unfortunately there hasn’t been many great seasons but I remember being in a bar in Boston wearing my Ricky Williams jersey when we beat the Patriots. I know there are tough times ahead in the next 2 years but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I wouldn’t be disappointed if we fixed our lines in the next draft and take Trevor Lawrence in 2021. We need to be good for more than 1 year, build the team and don’t pay any crazy contracts out of need. Whenever we have been pushed into a corner we have always overpaid.

Im from CA and been a dolphin fan since I was 5 cuz of Marino. Im 40 now I ask myself all the time "why I am still here"? lol

I had become a fan of an up and coming coach named Adam Gase. I ended up here because he was hired here. I'm still a big fan of Adam Gase, but I'm tired of learning new teams every couple of years. I'm more interested in how a team develops as opposed to having a favorite player. Now there is a new coach in town and the Dolphins structure is changing. I get to see a new development cycle. This is why I'm staying on as a Dolphins fan.

I don't hold Adams Gase leaving the Dolphins as the fault of a new coaching staff brought in to replace him. I may troll a few of the anti-Gase, anti-Tannehill crowd do to their inability to not keep bringing those guys up because THEY ARE NO LONGER ON THIS TEAM. What the hell, those posters deserve it!

I also enjoy FinHeaven, but I've become a little turned off by the continuous and extreme negativity that some posters seem to use as a badge of honor. Recently I've been able to ignore the majority of the negative noise from those posters. I do like posts that:

1) Provide updated information about the team. In this case I'm talking about who's who , where they came from or where they are going, etc.; not opinions.
2) Provide humor. I don't have to agree with the humorous point being made, If I laugh out loud when I read it; then its a winner.
3) Are positive posts. I'm basically a very positive person. Especially about my opinions being right (see, I said I liked humor).
4) Are well thought out posts with reasonable factual support. I don't even have to agree with them as long as I can see the point being made is based on something other than opinion.
5) Are opinions identified as opinions and that don't degrade those who don't agree with them.
6) Lead to an examination of a given issue by other posters with all those posts focused on the issue as opposed who posted the ideas being critiqued.

That's pretty much why I'm still a Dolphins fan.

Grew up in NY, had older cousins who were Dolphin Fans. They got to live thru the glory years and the SB wins. I started watching mid seventies and admired Coach Shula. AJ Duhe ended up being my favorite player, took his number for HS football lol. Choosing not to watch this year, dumped DirecTV and will see where this franchise goes from here.

Dan Marino. I'm 45 yo, and he just made me love watching football. I went to the game in Indy last year (great game btw) and Dan was on the sideline in a suit pre-game, and my wife and I both commented that he has more swagger walking around in a suit than any player we were watching warm up. That guys' fire is just infectious. I'm still here because I'm an idiot. I haven't missed a game thanks to Sunday Ticket in 20 years or so. I'm resilient also. I'm an Illini fan (just as bad at basketball and football), but have had many good moments as a St. Louis Cardinals fan for baseball. There is no way in the world I could leave any of my teams. Ever.

Born in Hollywood Florida, raised in West Palm Beach. Been a fan since Marino was drafted. Will be a Dolphin fan till the day I die.

Back
Top Bottom