What makes Nick Saban better? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What makes Nick Saban better?

ItalianDolFan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Nick Saban is a college coach just like Steve Spurrier, Butch Davis and a few others i dont remember. As u can tell, Steve Spurrier and Butch Davis didnt do too well at all. What makes u all think Nick Saban is gonna do a better good with Miami?? Im not saying he is bad, im just asking because I dont know his history that well...so what do u think makes Nick Saban a better coach???

ItalianDolFan said:
Nick Saban is a college coach just like Steve Spurrier, Butch Davis and a few others i dont remember. As u can tell, Steve Spurrier and Butch Davis didnt do too well at all. What makes u all think Nick Saban is gonna do a better good with Miami?? Im not saying he is bad, im just asking because I dont know his history that well...so what do u think makes Nick Saban a better coach???

Saban has been successful in turning aound college and pro teams in his career as a coach, whereas the others you refer to have not. The point is Saban is a much more solid coach from an organizational standpoint than Spurrier or Davis...Davis never had to build a program, he was handed programs. While he did a great job at UM, reloading the program, it was a strong organization to begin with. Besides, there were no expectations for Davis at UM...they were down talent wise and spirt wise and had sanctions to overcome, etc...Spurrier thought he could spend the same time in the pros as in college and it cut into his golf game, which is why he wasn't successful at that level. The big thing is his college style offense didn't work in the pros because the competition didn't involve any "Weak Sisters of the Poor" like half of the games in college.

Saban has more of chance of being successful at this level than those other guys do primarily due to his superior organizational skills and talent evaluation systems.

because he coached in the NFL already but i have another question, why all of a sudden is the newspaper reporting that we pick QB smith at #2 , if saban is mum on the draft since he is been here ? i just don´t understand it and i sure hope its not true as well, i don´t want to spend my first and second rounder on a qb

ItalianDolFan said:

This has been discussed countless times and there are a number of reasons.

1) As already noted, he's coached in the NFL - he was a successful DC at Cleveland. He has Pro experience - the others really didn't. Davis had some as a minor cog at Dallas - but Spurrier just wasn't a pro guy.

2) He's been a success everywhere he's been. It wasn't as though he just built a college program by being a great recruiter and throwing out a funky offense that works with superior talent (ala Spurrier); nor did he inherit a great program (ala Davis). Saban has revitalized the team everywhere he's been.

3) He doesn't run just a college-level system. He's used a pro-style system throughout his coaching since leaving the Browns.

4) He's been great football friends with Belichick and, in fact, Belichick has often consulted with Saban about schemes and player evaluation. In other words, he knows and has learned from Belichick as well as any of Bill B's other assistants. This isn't going to be a disorganized disaster like Spurrier had at DC.

5) Saban has demonstrated that he is a leader of men - not just a rah, rah boys coach.

Is it a risk? Is there a question about Saban? Yes. But, that's the case with ANYONE - both of Belichick's assistants have to prove themselves - how do we know that they didn't just piggy back on Belichick's coaching? No way to tell.

But, since you can't go and transfer Belichick and Pioli to the team, given what we had available, he was as good an option as any out there.

Aside from that - he's clearly shown himself to be better than Wannstedt. It can't get worse. Wanny had lots of talent and wasted it. Then, he (with his boy Rick S) seriously handicapped the future by trading away draft picks.

Spurrier came to the Redskins with his college staff thinking that his Gator offense could work against teams in the NFL.

Saban bribed away big-time nfl coaches (Houck,Linehan,Dann Quinn) and surrounded himself with the most experienced staff and most talented WITH NFL EXPERIENCE.

There is a big difference...

i heard a lot about Linehan and Houck being good. But i dont know who Dan Quinn is...what coach is he? where did he come from?

Besides what Da 'Fins said, Saban has a better owner and has surrounded himself with better coaches.

I'm not trying to rain on anybody here but didn't Jimmy have a pretty good resume when he came here. And he was kind of a failure. Yeah we had good records but we still missed out on quite a few things that we set out to accomplish when we brought him in. Like getting a decent running back and going to super bowl.

And remember Jimmy also left us with a clueless guy like Wanny.

LarryFinFan said:
Saban has been successful in turning aound college and pro teams in his career as a coach, whereas the others you refer to have not. The point is Saban is a much more solid coach from an organizational standpoint than Spurrier or Davis...Davis never had to build a program, he was handed programs. While he did a great job at UM, reloading the program, it was a strong organization to begin with. Besides, there were no expectations for Davis at UM...they were down talent wise and spirt wise and had sanctions to overcome, etc...Spurrier thought he could spend the same time in the pros as in college and it cut into his golf game, which is why he wasn't successful at that level. The big thing is his college style offense didn't work in the pros because the competition didn't involve any "Weak Sisters of the Poor" like half of the games in college.

Saban has more of chance of being successful at this level than those other guys do primarily due to his superior organizational skills and talent evaluation systems.

:yeahthat:

And by the way I do like what Nick has done so far. I just hope he does as good in draft and regular season. Because that will be when it really counts.

Al13 said:
because he coached in the NFL already but i have another question, why all of a sudden is the newspaper reporting that we pick QB smith at #2 , if saban is mum on the draft since he is been here ? i just don´t understand it and i sure hope its not true as well, i don´t want to spend my first and second rounder on a qb

I think its a smoke screen. I think he's trying to get someone like Tampa to trade for the pick. I really think we're getting a rb...

LarryFinFan said:

EXACTLY

Back
Top Bottom