What might the Dolphins do with the 13.6m coming this week | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What might the Dolphins do with the 13.6m coming this week

Cook is still under contract with Minnesota and they are balking at paying him 11 million in 2023, 12.5 in 2024, 13.5 in 2025 and he carries 6 million in dead cap space half in 23 and half in 24 and that is for a trade and want him to work out a deal for less money. Dolphins would have to make a trade to acquire him and as far as I know they wanted to much, this was early in FA.

It's not like he is a free agent and we can just pay him. You're looking at giving away draft picks and 8 - 10 mil needless to say Dolphin have already lost their 3rd round pick in 2024.

We just drafted a guy in the 3rd round and we don't really know what he can do for us yet.

Grabbing Cook just doesn't make sense at this point.

James Corden Money GIF

Cook is still under contract with Minnesota and they are balking at paying him 11 million in 2023, 12.5 in 2024, 13.5 in 2025 and he carries 6 million in dead cap space half in 23 and half in 24 and that is for a trade and want him to work out a deal for less money. Dolphins would have to make a trade to acquire him and as far as I know they wanted to much, this was early in FA.

It's not like he is a free agent and we can just pay him. You're looking at giving away draft picks and 8 - 10 mil needless to say Dolphin have already lost their 3rd round pick in 2024.

We just drafted a guy in the 3rd round and we don't really know what he can do for us yet.

Grabbing Cook just doesn't make sense at this point.
There is a pretty good chance Minnesota releases Cook after June 1, it is not certain but it would not be surprising.

Once(IF)he is a FA Miami comes into the picture for no other reason than it seems that Cook wants to play there.

How interested would the Fins be after drafting Achane is hard to say, but if he is willing to take less money to play for a winner at home it could happen.

I would use the $$$$ elsewhere but Cook would be the best RB Miami has had in a long time.

Doubt it they would owe him 5 mill in 23 and 3 mill in 24, more than likely they work out a deal.

Looks to me like Cook wanted Miami to pick up his contract at the going rate or close to it and give Minnesota their 3rd rounder this year plus more in 2024 maybe another 3rd ???? just a guess. Considering we gave Ramsey his money although the compensation was much cheaper.

Here's my take.
Just a hypothetical scenario.

4th and goal on the 1
12 seconds on the clock
Down by 5
Mike White is the QB due to unfortunate events.

MM KNOWS he's calling a running play.

You have Mostert
Wilson
Cook

Which RB are you confident will get you that win?

OK, maybe you say all 3.

Let's look at it this.

Which one do you NOT have to draw up a scheme play to ensure the TD?

Which RB can you just hand the ball off to and feel confident will get the TD?

That's the value Cook adds over Mostert and Wilson IMO. Cook makes 3rd and shorts easy decisions for MM.

Mostert and Wilson not so much

May seem like a small thing.

But that alone changes PPG and TOP
In this scenario, I'd just call Christian Wilkins on Offense. Career on offense in NFL: 2 touches, 2 yards, 2 touchdowns

If Dalvin Cook wants to come to Miami cheap on a 1 or 2 year deal to try to win the SB in his home city I'm all for it. I would absolutely do that as a player if I had already earned millions, but I can understand why some wouldn't.

Having said that, cheap for Cook is still relatively expensive. He'll still cost at least as much as the rest of the backfield.

For those pointing to our existing backfield which is a decent mix of players, how does it look if Mostert goes down week 2 ? That's entirely possible if not somewhat expected? That's a lot of snaps for Wilson and Achane.

My opinion, we don't offer him anywhere near that kind of money.

If we were, it would have made more sense to trade for him and take on his current deal, would it not?
I'm thinking closer to half of that. Saying you want to play in Miami for a SB is easy, doing what it takes to make it happen? Not so much.

I've also determined my reaction. I'm either going to be happy or feel that we missed an opportunity to make the '23 Dolphins better and more capable to get to the super bowl.
So, you've determined to be happy or unhappy.
Do you see why I'm confused by your "position"?
It seems "unstable". - LOL

Last edited:
Considering Mosert, Wilson’s, and Archane plus the FB.

What makes you think either of those guys has a shot at making the roster? The 4 I mentioned are practically locks already.
Fb doesn’t count as rb

Back
Top Bottom