What Needs To Change? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Needs To Change?

BennySwella

We need better LB's
Reaction score
I have been thinking a lot about what the team needs now that this draft is over. We certainly addressed some of the obvious holes but there are plenty of holes yet to fill (gentlemen, please no puns).

So I started to ask myself what needs to change in order for this team to truly change and start winning positively in the ways that I want to see them win, not just sneaking out meaningless victories.

1. Most important - QB - Since last season, we gut the fat in Tanne and Osweiler, and we made an improvement at the position, signing Fitz and trading for Rosen, Even if you like the 2 new QB's or not, the first step to making a great change, is changing in the first place, and that we did. Some are skeptical, some less, either way at this point in the season it is an improvement from last year.

2. Offensive Line - The reason for most of our offensive deficiencies come from how bad our offensive line is. I really dont think they have done enough to address this issue. Our O-line is way worse than our D-Line. Instead we have hung our hat on hoping Chris Grier and the scouts that have been unble to find us good olineman in that last 2 decades to somehow now handpick acorns to blossom into mighty oaks. I don't really think that udfa's are going to cut it . Hopefully I am wrong, and we start seeing a New England effect in that sense, which would indicate to me a true regime change as far as GM goes.

3. Linebackers - The defensive line has actually been addressed a lot this offseason, with the addition of Christian Wilkins, the Dline is improved. We still need 2 defensive ends but we have swords in the fire which could pan out. (Harris, the guy from the AFA). Linebacker on the other hand, is not talked about when we are clearly weak at linebacker. The only thing that unit has going for them is youth. We need hard hitting guys which is what we lack. We have a bunch of arm tacklers. Hopefully Flores sees this in person this season and makes some real changes next year.

Year in and year out, trade back in as many rounds as possible. Accumulate extra draft picks ALWAYS.

The bust rate of draft picks is high, even when you've got great scouts. Quantity, quantity, quantity.

We need to change our colors. Dolphins aren't green and the sun isn't orange. How can we expect anyone to take us seriously if we can't even get our colors right?

We need to change our colors. Dolphins aren't green and the sun isn't orange. How can we expect anyone to take us seriously if we can't even get our colors right?
Colors. I am a nightmare walkin', psycopath talking, king of my jungle, just a gangster stalkin', livin' life like a firecracker, quick is my fuse...

Qb aside, hope it's solved, we need a star lb and edge rusher. Stud wr and we'll compete, hope its Parker and Mike G

All of that, plus DE's, CB's, and S's.

DE's
We need guys who can fit the scheme, so guys that are DT/DE's like our current DT's, and OLB/DE's, like Andrew Van Ginkel.

CB's
We need more CB's because we play more DB's typically in this defense. That means we need a starting CB2, and at least 1 other CB to add to the roster.

S's
While we have 3 starting S's, both of the SS's--Reshad Jones and TJ McDonald--are expensive and older, so they're going to be gone before we rebuild. That means we need 1 more SS and 1 more other S at a minimum.

Last edited:
Year in and year out, trade back in as many rounds as possible. Accumulate extra draft picks ALWAYS.

The bust rate of draft picks is high, even when you've got great scouts. Quantity, quantity, quantity.

You lose in quality what you gain in quantity. You need studs and leaders not mid round draft choices x 2. If that were true you could trade away your choices and go UFA;s...

we just did it: stop with the one year/big FA "plans"

Like it or not, if we ever want to win a superbowl again we are going tonhave to learn how to handle free agency in an intelligent manner.

What we need to do is stop picking the wrong free agents to give big contracts to. Generational players are hard to find and can turn your team around. If a player like Aaron Donald or JJ Watt are available you can give them a big contract and if you pass them up you are just as dumb as giving a bad player a big contract.

Like it or not, if we ever want to win a superbowl again we are going tonhave to learn how to handle free agency in an intelligent manner.

What we need to do is stop picking the wrong free agents to give big contracts to. Generational players are hard to find and can turn your team around. If a player like Aaron Donald or JJ Watt are available you can give them a big contract and if you pass them up you are just as dumb as giving a bad player a big contract.
Yes if you are one player away from contending and the guy fits your scheme

I
Yes if you are one player away from contending and the guy fits your scheme

Yes for most players but not all. There are players that can turn your team around single handedly, and when those players come available you need to strike like Khalil Mack when he went to Chicago.

JJ Watt would make this defense way better just by himself. Same goes for Aaron Donald. Same goes for Aaron Rodgers and the offense. There are very few of those guys and when you identify one you cant shy away from the risk.

That isnt to say everyone ahould get big contracts but some guys should. And some other guys deserve medium sized contracts. The skill of freeagency comes in deciphering who deserves what, in the same manner that signing a bunch of free agents to affordable contracts who end up playing well can also turn your team around. It isnt about ignoring free agency, it is about playing free agency correctly like Patriots do year in and year out.

They are 1 player away every year and still they dont over splurge. It is not about spending the most but spending the wisest.

Back
Top Bottom