What Needs To Change? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Needs To Change?

I am just hoping we stop getting hit with season ending injuries.

Injuries are part of the game, and all teams need to deal with it, but when a team year in, year out gets hit with injuries for the season...that is too much to deal with.

You lose in quality what you gain in quantity. You need studs and leaders not mid round draft choices x 2. If that were true you could trade away your choices and go UFA;s...

There is only some truth to this. Keep in mind how many supposed quality players go bust.

There is an ongoing proof of this right now. Go to Rotoworld and see how many teams are declining their 5th year options on their former 1st round picks.

If there was a clear cut difference between quality and quantity, this wouldn't happen. By frequently trading back you double your chances to hit on future stars.

There is only some truth to this. Keep in mind how many supposed quality players go bust.

There is an ongoing proof of this right now. Go to Rotoworld and see how many teams are declining their 5th year options on their former 1st round picks.

If there was a clear cut difference between quality and quantity, this wouldn't happen. By frequently trading back you double your chances to hit on future stars.

I agreed until you got to "double your chances . . . " trading a 1st for two 3rds (example only), a team DOES get twice as many draft picks, but the odds of them becoming quality starters drops significantly. Since the purpose of the draft is to get quality starters, it is necessary to determine the odds of 'hitting' with the two picks compared to the one pick. Statistically, the odds are worse and get worse the further down the board the picks are.

Yes, quite a few teams pass on the 5th year option of R1 picks, but far more 'stick' than in later rounds. I'm for trading down, but never more than a few spots.

Fair enough... I'd never trade a 1 for two threes...
No one else would either.

Now, I'd trade down in the first for a later 1st, a second and throw in picks.

Fair enough... I'd never trade a 1 for two threes...
No one else would either.

Now, I'd trade down in the first for a later 1st, a second and throw in picks.

I'll agree. Trade down a FEW spots. There are people though who want to trade down and repeat process. Thus, trade the R1 #25 (I'm using a low R1 pick since those teams have fewer needs and can gamble) for a R2 pick and a couple of 3rds (I don't have the value chart). BUT, then go on to trading that R2 pick for a 3rd and a 4th. The goal is strictly more picks. That is where I'm out. Yes, a team ends up with a lot of 3rds and lower, but the chance of success is so small compared to a R1 pick, it doesn't justify the 'quantity' argument. Simple statistics.

You reach a point where you can have too many picks. With a 53 man roster that is already quite good, you can then package the extras to move up.

But we aren't that team.

You reach a point where you can have too many picks. With a 53 man roster that is already quite good, you can then package the extras to move up.

But we aren't that team.

Unfortunately we might not be for a long time if we squander the next draft too.

I think we will be quite happy with the new regime. I really like how they moved around to reduce the price on Rosen.

They resisted the urge to buy any FAs this year, guaranteeing getting compensation picks next year.

Smart teams do this. Before now, that wasn't us.

Point taken, but the odds are not in favor.

Not having a dysfunctional coaching staff cannot be overstated.

That will ease the pain of several problems.

I see it happening.

Adequate coaching will make all the difference.
So if we get better coaching you think we will do better then 10 and 6 , 6 and 10, and 7-9?
Good qb will make the difference. But I doubt we reach 7-9. Why do you think so?

We have to have a higher "hit" rate on our picks and free agent signings. We need more Jason Taylor's and Zach Thomas's instead of Dion Jordan or Charles Harris.

Back
Top Bottom