What players have you guys met ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What players have you guys met ?

Finsational

Displaced Finatic
Club Member
Reaction score
What players have you guys met and how were they on and off the field. Back in the Orange Bowl days my Dad did sideline security and they were alot more relaxed about people being on the sidelines so I got to go down there. The only people I remember meeting from that time was Marino and the Mark's brothers. Dan wasn't very socialable, but not rude either where both Marks were nice ( going off childhood memories here ). I did not talk to them on sidelines, couldn't get that close for security and safety reasons, my interaction was from pregame warmups. The other person I met was Farrell Edmunds at the bowling alley I used to frequent in Pembroke Pines, nice guy. That is when I realized how big football players were.

I'm dating myself here but met:

Vern Den Herder, Manny Fernandez, Bill Stanfill, Tim Foley and Dick Anderson after the '72 season when they flew here to go fishing. I was young but that was something I will always remember.

Met Marino and Duper too but the '72 defensive team was special.

Last edited:
Cool thread to start actually…

I ran security in a very popular club in Tampa for about 6 years. As far as strictly meeting Dolphins players… OJ McDuffie came in a few times and we even traded numbers (probably so I could get his friends in past the lines). He was VERY cool. He told a few Dan Marino stories that were awesome. Steve Deberg came in once. Very nice guy.

KayJay Harris came in a lot. He was one of our PS guys. Told a few hilarious stories about Jason Taylor and Wes Welker.

As for other guys….I pretty much knew the 2003 Bucs squad on a first name basis. Never had even one problem with them. EXCEPT for Chris Simms.

I did a body guarding gig for Terry Bradshaw. Without question, the happiest human being I’ve ever met.

I also talked to Ben Rothlisberger for about an hour when he was at the club for Derek Jeter’s Birthday Party. It was right after his rookie year I think. Very good guy.

Bouncing can be a tough job….But Football players were never the tough part.

Back in the early 1970’s it was fairly common to run into Dolphin players if you lived in certain areas of Miami. They were out and about and were not as isolated from the fans as they seem to be today. I played in several of the early Dolphin golf tournaments and was able to meet several Miami Dolphins on the course.
In 1971 my wife and I went into a restaurant to eat in South Miami and Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick were sitting at the bar having a few beers. I walked by and wished them good luck in the game coming up and they both said thank you. I am not someone who gets autographs or bother others when they are out enjoying themselves. So I didn’t attempt to carry on a conversation with either of them.

I also met Ted Hendricks when I played the golf course he used to own . A former Miami Hurricane QB from the early 1960’s that most posters on here won’t know who he is, George Mira. I used to see him at a lot of the functions I attended in South Dade but it has been at least 5 years since I have seen or spoken to him.

Last edited:
I had an uncle who was a professional boxer, who fought professionally from the mid 50's through the mid 60's. Had a couple of title fights and then retired owning a boxing gym in NYC.

I had a cousin who was drafted by both the New York Yankees and the United States Military but never was sent into battle pitching for the Army's, team at home. Never made it to the big leagues due to injury. Also played college basketball.

Have a relative in sport journalism who grew up with Mike Gesicki and knows the Minkah Fitzpatrick family as well.

As for actual athletes. John Franco, Nick Fatiu, Spencer Haywood, Clyde Frazier, Hawthorn Wingo, Mark Gastineau, Larry Csonka and Richard Todd.

I grew up watching the Viking with my Grandpa and loved Chris Carter. Was having breakfast off 4-41 in Boca and Chris Carter was 2 tables away. I couldnt get up the gumption to approach, a serious regret I will always live with.

Met David Bowens at a Turnpike gas station near Ft Lauderdale. Im a really big guy by normal standards, 6-2 275lbs and I felt like a child next to him. I remember when I shook his hand, I looked down and I couldnt see my hand. It was absolutely engulfed by his catchers mitt-of-a-hand.

Met Dan Marino at Convenience store near Ft. Lauderdale. I was going in the door as he was coming out, we brushed against one another. Again, Im a big guy by normal standards with big broad shoulders and he made me feel so small. It seemed as if his shoulders were ten feet wide. I asked to shake his hand, he did so quickly before entering a non-descript white van with urgency. I stepped into the store, still in disarray...as Im watching through the glass as he pulls away the store clerk says "He wasnt an a$$hole today". I remained still and in awe for a few moments, I guess in shock before gathering myself and grabbing some Gatorades.

I met Eddie George in South Beach. I didnt recognize him at all. My little brother did and started freaking out. He looked more like a Basketball player. He had a gorgeous girl on each arm. As he shook my hand, I couldnt help but be shocked by his arms. His arms were covered with deep wounds all over, like he had been mauled over and over by a lion. I never forgot that.

View attachment 78921
Tailgating with LT. Miami v Pats Sept 2019.
Met him several time. A really humble, cool dude now. Very chill to hang with. Funny story teller.
My buddies and I used to play Melreese golf course at least once a week. We usually had the first tee time and it seemed like LT and OJ Simpson were always in the foursome behind us. OJ always seemed like he was annoyed that anyone was on the course before him so we usually let them play through somewhere on the front nine.

OJ got so used to us letting them play though he would just drive up in his cart when he saw us and tell us what hole they would be playing through on. I never knew if he had a knife or not, so I certainly didn’t argue with him. LT seemed like a good guy but OJ acted like he could do whatever he wanted to do
and no one else mattered.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom