What players have you guys met ? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What players have you guys met ?

Is this like former Miami players or just players in general? Only player that actually played for Miami that I've met is Bobby Carpenter. Pretty cool guy. I wanna say this was before he played for Miami' so I wasn't pissed with him for his ineptness on the field for Miami. lol

Other players I've met:

Mike Furrey- WR, Actually led the NFC in catches in 2006 for the Lions. Always has a beer in his hand lol

Jake Ballard-TE won a ring and had 2 catches vs the Patsies in the 2012 SB (he's a real estate agent in a suburb close to me, volunteers at a lot of events)

Brady Quinn- I volunteered at a golfing event and came up to him asked if he needed his clubs carried (Like I asked everyone there golfing) and he cuts me off and immediately says no autographs please. I proceed to tell him, you're not very good, I don't want your autograph and I'm glad Miami didn't draft you)

Apologies; I thought this was just Dolphin players. I worked in event publicity in NYC for a bit...I was fortunate enough to meet a few NON-Dolphin players. Joe Namath was remarkably friendly and funny. Hands-down the funniest (and kindest) celeb I ever met was Dr. Ruth Westheimer; she ended up sitting at a table with then fianceé, eating dinner and chatting.

Yes, THAT Dr. Ruth.

Brian Mitchell back in the mid-90s. Mark Moseley also in the 90s. Dwight Stephenson and Larry Little at the HOF game a few years back vs Dallas.

Apologies; I thought this was just Dolphin players. I worked in event publicity in NYC for a bit...I was fortunate enough to meet a few NON-Dolphin players. Joe Namath was remarkably friendly and funny. Hands-down the funniest (and kindest) celeb I ever met was Dr. Ruth Westheimer; she ended up sitting at a table with then fianceé, eating dinner and chatting.

Yes, THAT Dr. Ruth.
It was then off tangent it went.

Any advice from Dr. Ruth you can share?

I never met OJ Simpson….But I heard from a friend of mine that had met him multiple times that he was always very cool. He always said that you would have never known that OJ was the type of guy that would kill his wife and a random waiter……Alledgedly.
When I played Melreese and OJ and LT were there, it was after the trial and he was living in South Florida. He may have been cool off the golf course but I never had any dealing with him other than on the course.
Perhaps he was just in a hurry to finish his round all the time and that is why he seemed to have liitle patience for groups playing in front of him. The fact is the foursome I played in were actually very fast and we always played 18 holes in two and a half to three hours. So it wasn’t our slow play holding up his group.

Brian Mitchell back in the mid-90s. Mark Moseley also in the 90s. Dwight Stephenson and Larry Little at the HOF game a few years back vs Dallas.
Funny story, my little brother's name is "Mike". For some reason my Dad started calling him "Moseley" for Mark...Mosely, ya. So, fast forward 35 years and we still call my little brother...Moseley.

As you can tell we grew up in a huge Football family. (and no, it doesnt make any sense)

Another oddity is my Dad was a huge Hurricanes fan and my step-brothers name was John-Michael. Ok, so from here he got the nickname Jan-Michael Vincent. Fast forward and now Jan-Michael Vincent has turned into "Vince" and that turned into "Testaverde". Ya, my Dad was a unique and amazing guy. I didnt get a nickname until I returned from the Army when my father started referring to me as "The Kraken" cause I loved to get into fist fights. SO, my nickname was "The Kraken" as in "Release, The Kraken".

Last edited:
Kinda limited on Dolphins players I've met since I've never seen Miami play in Miami (that changes this Oct 3). Only Miami players I ever talked with were Nat Moore, Kenny Stills and Kim Bokamper. All at the '17 opener vs Chargers in Carson, CA. I did however see Dan Marino in rare form one time at the Cal-Neva resort in Lake Tahoe mid 80's. He and John Elway were playing Blackjack and people were all over them for autographs. I was probably ten feet behind him and I really wanted him to sign, but he was in no mood. "Can I just play some cards, please." I left him alone. Elway was much more accomadating.
My friends sister booked all the LA Raiders travels thru her company in El Segundo for years and when I lived down there I went to a lot of Raiders games and to their post game dinners at the LAX Hilton. I sat right next to James Jett once for dinner. Met Howie Long, Willie Gault, Sean Jones off top of my head. Those dinners were weird, like being in HS. Al LoCasale gave a post game speech before dinner came out. I wasn't a Raider fan, I just wanted to eat. Never met Al Davis.

IT's been a while but the Phins had joint practices with the Falcons years ago so I drove the hour and a half to watch the practices. The practice fields in Suwanee had a hill where the public would sit. Miami comes out to warm up with Shula walking around chatting with the players and he eventually looks at the crowd. I hold up a magazine and a pen and he motions for me to come on the field. So I do. He looks at the picture on the cover and it has Marino on it, we were standing right in front of Marino, so he shows him the mag, then Shula signs it. I shook his hand and went back to sit down. I was in awe at how nice he was. After practice, Shula hung around the parking lot talking to anyone interested. Some of the players signed stuff on their way to the LR. I got Marino, Clayton, Duper, Ferrell Edmonds and a few others to sign too. It was a long drive home so I hung around for a while before leaving. Clayton showed up in a small room with a pin ball machine, I think, and was really friendly, even talking while playing his game. He offered his sweat band and I took it but didn't ask him to sign it so I'm the only living being that knows it was his.
They held these joint practices a couple different years and one of them was Offerdahl's rookie year. Didn't meet him, but still.....
I was interviewed by a Miami news station and it aired on MIami TV. My 30 seconds of fame............ so eventually, I'm stilled owed 14 minutes and 45 seconds somehow.
One more.....My family, wife and kids, went to a game in Miami and being such a fan we went to eat at Shula's steakhouse. While waiting in the lobby, Shula walks in........
Flores just seems to be doing most everything right so far that I might need to go meet him too.

OK, I shutup now

Dan Marino at the Tahoe celebrity golf tournament was the most prominent.

He wasn’t the friendliest celebrity toward kids asking for autographs when he was playing. Reminded me of how he used to get on his receivers.

I met Shula and got his autograph.

It was at Cal State Fullerton before the super bowl with Washington. He came in on the side, not with the players, and I just happened to be standing there.

Saw the entire team come through, Woodley surrounding by some of his offensive linemen.

I thanked him and wished him luck in the game. Wish I could have spent hours talking with him.

Back
Top Bottom