What Position Battles are you Most Look Forward to? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Position Battles are you Most Look Forward to?

Not going to say that Miami is loaded, but it sure looks a lot better after free agency and the draft with virtually every unit dramatically improved. With that in mind, what position battles are you most looking forward to? Here are a few to keep an eye on.

Quarterback
Tua vs. Fitzpatrick -- only seems like a matter of time for Tua, but maybe the coaching staff treats it as a red-shirt season.

Right Tackle
Hunt vs. Davis -- the assumption is the loser kicks inside to RG.

Left Tackle
Jackson vs. Davenport -- Personally, I think Davenport is better suited to guard. By all accounts, Jackson is a little raw but I'd be surprised if he didn't start.

Starting Safeties
Rowe and who? Is it third rounder Jones? Anyone else?

Defensive Tackle
Could see Davis pushing Godchaulk to start. Then again, it's probably more of a rotation position.

Others?
All except for QB. This is Fitzpatricks team this year.
Also, ill say CB. Needham, McCain, the 1st rd pick, etc.

I'm really hoping Hunt can nail down that RT positions. Otherwise, I think his draft position was too high. Of course, if he turns into a dominant RG, I wouldn't complain!:)
I have feeling that Davis will be the RT this season. I could be wrong.

I have feeling that Davis will be the RT this season. I could be wrong.
Could be, especially early on. I've always felt like Davis was ideally a #6 offensive lineman, coming off the bench to play OG or OT. But he has experience and the coaching staff seems to like him.

Don't know if I'm looking forward to it, necessarily, but Steven Parker started 4 or 5 games, Adrian Colbert started 5 or 6 games, Eric Rowe got moved there, Bobby McCain, Brandon Jones.

No idea who starts at FS and SS, and not really excited about any of the options.

All except for QB. This is Fitzpatricks team this year.
Also, ill say CB. Needham, McCain, the 1st rd pick, etc.
The secondary is very interesting. That was definitely a big point of interest this year for the front office with the signing of Jones to a big contract before the draft. And then drafting a corner in R1 and safety in R3. Who do you think is on the field when Miami plays five DB's?

I could see Davenport in the mix at RG as well. Agree on Davis. His versatility is definitely a plus on the defensive line. I hope that Jones is good enough to beat our McCain. Honestly, was hoping for one of the top safeties McKinney, Winfield, Delpit. But I get the emphasis on the offensive line.
Would be shocked to see Davenport- He’s probably OT4 on this roster behind Davis and the rookies

Battles for the starting spot on the defense mean so much less than on the offensive side.

Defenses rotate... a lot.

Offenses, especially on the line and at QB... just don't.

So the battle I am MOST interested in is at Right Tackle. I'm positive that Jackson, Flowers, Karras comprise the left side of our line, but that RT spot is key, because our RG (ultimately Kindley I would think) doesn't have to start anytime soon and the RG spot can float for awhile.... Davis, Hunt, Kindley... whoever...

But that RT spot keys what happens at RG.

If Hunt comes in and dominates... everything we do this year will get easier. Our line will settle in and get the chance to gel together, but if he can't immediately dislodge Davis, our line will remain in flux all year, and this is NOT what you want when you have a rookie QB in the wings.

Hunt is the key to the Dolphins season.

Mark it.
This is an interesting view because yesterday I was thinking RG was the key with Kindley being that guy. The view being if he locks in RG everything else looks workable. But I see your thinking as well.

Would be shocked to see Davenport- He’s probably OT4 on this roster behind Davis and the rookies
I do wonder with him, though, if he could succeed at guard. It worked for Flowers. It's possible that he just isn't good enough, but his biggest concern is pass blocking so maybe moving him inside would jump start his career???

I could see Davenport in the mix at RG as well. Agree on Davis. His versatility is definitely a plus on the defensive line. I hope that Jones is good enough to beat our McCain. Honestly, was hoping for one of the top safeties McKinney, Winfield, Delpit. But I get the emphasis on the offensive line.

I think Davenport will make the 53 man roster. Hopefully the team will give him a shot at RG. It did wonders for Flowers to get moved inside, it could work for him as well.

I think the Titans’ pick at 29 really jacked our draft plans. We grab Wilson at 30 and Delpit/Winfield are both on the board at 39. Not that I dislike our picks, but we could have gotten some serious value with either of those safeties at 39.

I think Davenport will make the 53 man roster. Hopefully the team will give him a shot at RG. It did wonders for Flowers to get moved inside, it could work for him as well.

I think the Titans’ pick at 29 really jacked our draft plans. We grab Wilson at 30 and Delpit/Winfield are both on the board at 39. Not that I dislike our picks, but we could have gotten some serious value with either of those safeties at 39.
I feel like Miami moved up a couple of prospects as soon as Wilson was selected. My guess is Igbinoghene was targeted at #39, but instead taken at #30. Hunt was probably next in line after Wilson as a potential RT. Of course, it's all speculation. It's possible the Dolphins thought the running backs would last a little longer as well. I was a little surprised how quickly they went, including Dillon to GB in R2.

The key is, can Hunt play RT as we pretty much know he can play RG but I really want to see who are the 3rd and 4th WR.....specially who's the slot WR.......easy to say Wilson but will he be 100% healthy? Seems he was playing better towards the end of the year as was the whole team.......I want to see if Ford can take the next step and also, we have two UDFA WR's that I hope get a chance to show what they can do in pre season. f there's something Tua can use is a slot WR with speed. I like Merritt but we'll see how that goes. Anyway, we got Tua and now we need to mold the offense for what he does best which is throwing very accurate to guys breaking free for long gains.

The key is, can Hunt play RT as we pretty much know he can play RG but I really want to see who are the 3rd and 4th WR.....specially who's the slot WR.......easy to say Wilson but will he be 100% healthy? Seems he was playing better towards the end of the year as was the whole team.......I want to see if Ford can take the next step and also, we have two UDFA WR's that I hope get a chance to show what they can do in pre season. f there's something Tua can use is a slot WR with speed. I like Merritt but we'll see how that goes. Anyway, we got Tua and now we need to mold the offense for what he does best which is throwing very accurate to guys breaking free for long gains.
I like what I saw from Ford last year, although I don't know if the slot is his best position. Wilson and Grant have some potential there, but both have under performed. Injuries are maybe the primary reason there. Merritt is interesting. Looks like a Steve Smith type. Perry is more RB, no? He does make the first man miss a lot, but is definitely a work in progress at wide receiver.

o-line!

Lots of players, let the best man win.

Hunt Vs Davis, Hunt vs Kindley, Deiter vs everyone on the interior, Jackson vs that cardboard cut out we had at LT last season.

Back
Top Bottom