What QB does Tua remind you of. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What QB does Tua remind you of.

Daniel Jones had a hell of a preseason, no denying that. And I'm one who believes that tends to bode well for quarterbacks, even though some dismiss preseason altogether.

But he did nothing to challenge the narrative about his arm strength. He threw with touch and timing, and several of his completions looked pretty in part because the ball didn't have a lot of mustard on it and so the defensive back was able to close further on the receiver, making the windows appear smaller.

But I'm not sure it matters because Tua Tagovailoa has a stronger arm than Daniel Jones.

The thing about Jones is, people were saying things like his arm is going to be a huge liability at this level kind of like Penny's was, but I disagree.

I'm far from an expert as I barely watch college ball, but from what I've seen from Jones he can make all the throws an NFL QB needs to make, even if his arm isn't special it gets the job done.

Tua as you point out has a stronger arm than Jones, but just like with Jones, I think a lot of people are going to focus too much on his lack of elite arm talent when it's not going to matter much because both of their arms are plenty good enough for the NFL.

In regards to Wilson, perhaps he does have stronger arm and is a little faster than Tua, I honestly don't know.

But if RW had this elite arm with his amazing running ability kind of like what Kyler Murray has, why on earth is Seattle such a run heavy team?

Perhaps Carroll just likes it that way, but I truly believe Carroll is smart enough to know RW simply isn't an elite pocket passer like Tua and many other QB's can be, and understands SEA is a much better team when they are run heavy as opposed to exposing Wilson with a pass heavy offense, similar to the situation in Minnesotta where Cousins REALLY needs a strong run game to thrive imo, just like with Wilson.

The thing about Jones is, people were saying things like his arm is going to be a huge liability at this level kind of like Penny's was, but I disagree.

I'm far from an expert as I barely watch college ball, but from what I've seen from Jones he can make all the throws an NFL QB needs to make, even if his arm isn't special it gets the job done.

His arm could very well "get the job done" as you say. But it's not appreciably better than Chad Pennington's, if at all.

Tua as you point out has a stronger arm than Jones, but just like with Jones, I think a lot of people are going to focus too much on his lack of elite arm talent when it's not going to matter much because both of their arms are plenty good enough for the NFL.

In regards to Wilson, perhaps he does have stronger arm and is a little faster than Tua, I honestly don't know.

But if RW had this elite arm with his amazing running ability kind of like what Kyler Murray has, why on earth is Seattle such a run heavy team?

Perhaps Carroll just likes it that way, but I truly believe Carroll is smart enough to know RW simply isn't an elite pocket passer like Tua and many other QB's can be, and understands SEA is a much better team when they are run heavy as opposed to exposing Wilson with a pass heavy offense, similar to the situation in Minnesotta where Cousins REALLY needs a strong run game to thrive imo, just like with Wilson.

There's a lot to unpack here. There's a simple fact that Russell Wilson has a really good arm, really good velocity, the ability to get it from anywhere to anywhere, running around, etc. That's just objectively true.

As for why Pete Carroll believes in balance, you'd have to ask Pete Carroll. They weren't very balanced toward the run in 2016 or 2017. They've decided to go back to more balance in 2018 and 2019.

Personally, I suspect it's because they have always severely under-invested in that offensive line. This year is no exception. German Ifedi, broken down versions of Duane Brown and Mike Iupati, D.J. Fluker...it's not Miami, but it's not good, either. They have a tendency some years to get a bunch of run-oriented linemen and then go really run-heavy, then rely on Russell Wilson's escapability and arm talent to do the rest.

Seriously run through the list of their offensive line snap counts over the last 7 years. It's a veritable Who's Who of Who Isn't.

As for whether Seattle is much better when they're run-heavy, they tend to be much better when their defense is awesome, and I suspect that being run-heavy helps with that.

But if this is becoming some sneaky conversation aimed at trying to say that Russell Wilson isn't an elite level NFL quarterback then I'm just going to bow out right now. Because he is. And I don't even think it merits debate.

His arm could very well "get the job done" as you say. But it's not appreciably better than Chad Pennington's, if at all.

There's a lot to unpack here. There's a simple fact that Russell Wilson has a really good arm, really good velocity, the ability to get it from anywhere to anywhere, running around, etc. That's just objectively true.

As for why Pete Carroll believes in balance, you'd have to ask Pete Carroll. They weren't very balanced toward the run in 2016 or 2017. They've decided to go back to more balance in 2018 and 2019.

Personally, I suspect it's because they have always severely under-invested in that offensive line. This year is no exception. German Ifedi, broken down versions of Duane Brown and Mike Iupati, D.J. Fluker...it's not Miami, but it's not good, either. They have a tendency some years to get a bunch of run-oriented linemen and then go really run-heavy, then rely on Russell Wilson's escapability and arm talent to do the rest.

Seriously run through the list of their offensive line snap counts over the last 7 years. It's a veritable Who's Who of Who Isn't.

As for whether Seattle is much better when they're run-heavy, they tend to be much better when their defense is awesome, and I suspect that being run-heavy helps with that.

But if this is becoming some sneaky conversation aimed at trying to say that Russell Wilson isn't an elite level NFL quarterback then I'm just going to bow out right now. Because he is. And I don't even think it merits debate.

Daniel Jones arm talent is way better than Penny's was imo, Penny got exposed in the playoff loss to Baltimore because he lacked arm strength which literally condensed the field, that won't ever happen to Jones.

And I'm not going to get into a debate about RW, I'll just say personally I don't believe he is an elite QB even though I know most believe he is on a HoF trajectory.

But just like with Eli many don't believe he was ever an elite QB, even though many of those same people still say he will get in or deserves to get in the Hall.

That's likely how I will feel if/when RW makes it to the Hall (expect as of now I don't believe he deserves it), unless he turns it around in the playoffs because I put heavy weight on that and believe my mother could have been the QB and won the SB with that all time great 03 Seahawks squad (SB was over on the first play against Manning in his prime lol).

Last edited:
There's a lot of ridiculous negative stuff being said about Tua in this thread that can be attributed to nothing more than hating on him or Alabama rather than actually watching the film.

Back
Top Bottom