What QB does Tua remind you of. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What QB does Tua remind you of.

Of the recent QB's, he's most similar to Mayfield, who reminded me most of Brees. He doesn't freestyle as much as Mayfield, but that's not the strength of Mayfield's game anyway.
Tua reminds me of Steve Young- obviously both lefty- but more than this- stature about 6-1, pocket presence, ball placement, anticipation, athleticism

Russel Wilson’s feet

But Wilson throws off back foot a lot

I agree with the Steve Young comparison tho

He's a MUCH better prospect than Russell, the arm talent isn't even close and he's a better athlete as well.

The arm talent is closer than people think and Tua being a better athlete than Wilson...there's no way you should be saying this with any amount of confidence.

Last edited:
The arm talent is closer than people think and Tua being a better athlete than Wilson...there's no way you should be saying this with any amount of confidence.

Well I basically consider height a part of athleticism, as well as straight line speed and I bet Tua is better in both critical areas. I’m far from an expert though as I only watch pro ball, but I know Wilson isn’t even close to an ideal athlete for the position. And I would assume Tua has a stronger arm which is also critical and a part of athleticism to me as well, being that he was you know, the top qb prospect before going to bama

Last edited:
Well I basically consider height a part of athleticism, as well as straight line speed and I bet Tua is better in both critical areas. I’m far from an expert though as I only watch pro ball, but I know Wilson isn’t even close to an ideal athlete for the position. And I would assume Tua has a stronger arm which is also critical and a part of athleticism to me as well, being that he was you know, the top qb prospect before going to bama
I haven't seen anything 'strong', per say, about Tua's arm...accurate, yes. Strong...no.

Straight line speed...Wilson's 40 was 4.55. Tua can only hope to match that.

Uhhhh bold saying a QB with 3,600 career rushing yards isn't as athletic as a QB not known for running...

Football also isn't run in a straight line, so hard to call that a critical area.

And height is not an athletic attribute, for the love of god.

Uhhhh bold saying a QB with 3,600 career rushing yards isn't as athletic as a QB not known for running...

Football also isn't run in a straight line, so hard to call that a critical area.

And height is not an athletic attribute, for the love of god.

Height and arm strength technically aren't athleticism, but I break down all prospects in any sport into 3 categories:

1. Physical attributes (Height, weight, speed, arm talent, agility) which I call athleticism sometimes because to me it means everything a person is physically
2. Mental attributes (intelligence, mental toughness, etc.)
3. Skill attributes (catching, blocking, throwing accuracy/mechanics)

In my first category I feel like Tua is superior to RW not only becasue of the height which is critical, but I believe he has a stronger arm too which I guess is debatable :shrug:

Tua may not be known for running, but he was timed at 4.76 and 4.81 which is pretty damn good for a QB with his arm talent, Mayfield ran a 4.84 and he looks quick to me.

RW may be faster (didn't know he ran a 4.55), but even still with the height and arm talent I consider Tua a physically superior prospect, Tua is supposed to have enormous hands as well.

I don't know much about the mental/skill attributes in Tua because I don't watch him, but I hear he's very accurate and would bet he's going to be a better pocket passer than RW in the pros.

I'm not a stats guy, but the reality is RW has only thrown for over 4,200 yards in 1 of his 7 full NFL seasons.

Compare that to a guy like Luck who wasn't a great QB imo but a superior physical prospect compared to RW, he threw for over 4,200 yards in 4 out of 5 of his full seasons.

Seattle is smart to be a run heavy team because RW isn't an elite volume passer, I believe Tua has a much higher ceiling in that regard mostly due to his superior physical attributes.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything 'strong', per say, about Tua's arm...accurate, yes. Strong...no.

Straight line speed...Wilson's 40 was 4.55. Tua can only hope to match that.

I've read more about Tua and apparently some scouts are concerned about his arm talent, didn't know that.

Also yes I doubt Tua runs a 4.55 so I'll give you that, but I just know logically there's a reason why Tua was a 5 star recruit and considered the top high school QB prospect in the country and it ain't because of a lack of talent...

I've read more about Tua and apparently some scouts are concerned about his arm talent, didn't know that.

Also yes I doubt Tua runs a 4.55 so I'll give you that, but I just know logically there's a reason why Tua was a 5 star recruit and considered the top high school QB prospect in the country and it ain't because of a lack of talent...
I'm fine if we get Tua...

I'm fine if we stack up picks and draft Jordan Love.

I'm fine if we stack up picks and play Rosen.

I just hope we don't mess this up....

This is not true.

Arm strength is not one of Tua's big selling points. And I don't think he has quite the same talent there as Russell Wilson.

This is not true.

Arm strength is not one of Tua's big selling points. And I don't think he has quite the same talent there as Russell Wilson.

I believe Tua's arm is being underrated just like Daniel Jones arm is/was, Tua has plenty of juice on his "effortless" throws but like with Jones people are trying hard to find a major flaw in his game (probably because lots of people hate Bama and Duke lol).

I know Wilson has a strong arm too and perhaps he does have a stronger arm and is a little bit faster, but still, Tua is a MUCH better prospect than RW ever was.

RW is very fortunate to have been drafted by an organization like Seattle imo, with Tua, I believe he will be a better QB than RW ever was and it doesn't even matter where he gets drafted.

He's that good/talented and has been since high school which is why it was practically unfair he ended up there where he naturally saved them from losing a championship as a f****** true freshman.

I can't complain though, I just watched Z, Barrett, and Reddish for an entire season which wasn't exactly fair either lol, college sports...

Last edited:
Tua's arm strength looks plenty strong enough to me. Does he have Josh Allen arm strength? No. But he easily has Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan type arm strength. Arm strength is something that can improve in the NFL. I watched Russell Wilson at NC State and his arm strength at that time was not good, he never pushed the ball down the field and I always thought it's because he knew his limitations. Some QBs can improve in this area. I think Drew Brees did, Aaron Rodgers definitely did, Russell Wilson, and Tom Brady.

I believe Tua's arm is being underrated just like Daniel Jones arm is/was, Tua has plenty of juice on his "effortless" throws but like with Jones people are trying hard to find a major flaw in his game (probably because lots of people hate Bama and Duke lol).

I know Wilson has a strong arm too and perhaps he does have a stronger arm and is a little bit faster, but still, Tua is a MUCH better prospect than RW ever was.

RW is very fortunate to have been drafted by an organization like Seattle imo, with Tua, I believe he will be a better QB than RW ever was and it doesn't even matter where he gets drafted.

He's that good/talented and has been since high school which is why it was practically unfair he ended up there where he naturally saved them from losing a championship as a f****** true freshman.

I can't complain though, I just watched Z, Barrett, and Reddish for an entire season which wasn't exactly fair either lol, college sports...

Daniel Jones had a hell of a preseason, no denying that. And I'm one who believes that tends to bode well for quarterbacks, even though some dismiss preseason altogether.

But he did nothing to challenge the narrative about his arm strength. He threw with touch and timing, and several of his completions looked pretty in part because the ball didn't have a lot of mustard on it and so the defensive back was able to close further on the receiver, making the windows appear smaller.

But I'm not sure it matters because Tua Tagovailoa has a stronger arm than Daniel Jones.

Back
Top Bottom