What Rule Changes Would You Like to See....Miami Edition | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Rule Changes Would You Like to See....Miami Edition

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
One of the most exciting plays in Miami Dolphins history was Nat Moore returning the opening kickoff for a touchdown in that famed 1974 Sea of Hands playoff game. Today, the majority of kicks are not returnable. I understand that safety is the main concern, but the NFL has essentially turned an exciting play into a ho hum. Why even bother kicking off? I would love to see a rule that returns excitement to the kickoffs.

The onside kick has also become a ho-hum. I don't know if any team has recovered one this year, but the odds are now incredible small. I'm not sure that change in the rule made the play any safer. Any ideas here?

I've always thought that a forward pass that's caught behind the line of scrimmage should be considered a run, but I'm not going to fight that one. Tom Brady would hate me!

Any rule changes that you'd like to see?

I have to agree with the crowd complaining about a fumble going out of bounds in the endzone being awarded to the defense, such as Derek Carr's fumble on Sunday. I'm not sure how you change the rule, but as it stands now it makes no sense that if the ball goes out of bounds anywhere else it goes to the offense but if it goes out in the defending teams endzone the defense gets the ball. Maybe bring back the old XFL version of a coin toss, placing the ball at the 50 and have a player from each team race to the ball for possesion. Almost a football version of a jump ball.

Id like a rule which bans Steve Ross from internal front office hires. And basketball agents. And unqualified Bucs lifers who are about to be fired.

The kickoff is a non play now. What’s more, I shake my head when a team gets a holding penalty on a kick that goes out of the EZ - LOL. Like why bother?

The onsides kick thing basically cut the chance of injury in half - just now depends on what half of the field you kick it to. The play stinks now. Did that many people really get hurt on them? If you want to change it make it something else then. Give the offense 1 play from their 25 to get 20 yards. Something hard but enough to raise the conversion chances. Get rid of situational rules - “this is ok at this part of the game but not in the last 5 minutes”. Logic is so flawed. Every play impacts the outcome of the game. Bring back hitting the QB - 75%-80% completion % isn’t fun to watch. Throw in the other 5% where you get PI or D holding and almost every pass play is a positive play. Too much.

This is easy for me. The spot foul pass interference is so antiquated. It was fine in the 70's when teams only threw the ball about twenty times a game and points were hard to come by, but in this era of football the penalty is ridiculous. It should be a 10 or fifteen yard penalty and an automatic first down. It would cut down on the outrage on the ticky-tack pass interference calls that dramatically effect the outcomes of games.

This is easy for me. The spot foul pass interference is so antiquated. It was fine in the 70's when teams only threw the ball about twenty times a game and points were hard to come by, but in this era of football the penalty is ridiculous. It should be a 10 or fifteen yard penalty and an automatic first down. It would cut down on the outrage on the ticky-tack pass interference calls that dramatically effect the outcomes of games.

I'm torn both ways. I don't want to see teams just chucking up the long pass in hopes of a interference call and a cheap 40 or 50 yard gain, but I also don't want to see a defender who is being beaten for a long gain just grab a receiver 40 or 50 yards downfield and then the offense oly getting a 15 yard gain either. A team should never be a position of opting to commit a foul because it benefits them.

One of the most exciting plays in Miami Dolphins history was Nat Moore returning the opening kickoff for a touchdown in that famed 1974 Sea of Hands playoff game. Today, the majority of kicks are not returnable. I understand that safety is the main concern, but the NFL has essentially turned an exciting play into a ho hum. Why even bother kicking off? I would love to see a rule that returns excitement to the kickoffs.

The onside kick has also become a ho-hum. I don't know if any team has recovered one this year, but the odds are now incredible small. I'm not sure that change in the rule made the play any safer. Any ideas here?

I've always thought that a forward pass that's caught behind the line of scrimmage should be considered a run, but I'm not going to fight that one. Tom Brady would hate me!

Any rule changes that you'd like to see?
A lottery system for deciding draft picks.

Get rid of kickoffs and extra point kicks.

Also it's about time to replace the first down chains with electronic devices, it's 2019 come on.

These are sensible changes that I could get on board with.

Rewind the rulebook to 1976. Whatever the rules were then and never ever change them again. Anyone who attempts to should be shot

-Remove defensive holding penalties.

-Penalize cut blocks. (Not just chop blocks)

Back
Top Bottom