What Rule Changes Would You Like to See....Miami Edition | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Rule Changes Would You Like to See....Miami Edition

1. Replace all kickoffs with a 4th and 20 from the 35.

2. Get rid of the fumble out of the end zone being a touchback.

3. Allow for more players on the roster and dressing. Allow some type of leniency for keeping 3rd and 4th string QBs on the roster. This would allow QBs to learn the playbooks and actually develop.

The onside kick change has made it nigh on impossible to recover kicks. I'd like that to change. I like the change they made to the extra point kicks. it's no longer a gimme as we have seen.

I like the college version of OT though I doubt many would want this in the NFL.

Calling the current rules more consistently would go a long way with me. For example, the last SB was ruined for me by having the wrong 2 teams get in. In a cruel, but just, twist of fate the NFL got a pretty boring game from what I heard, compared to what KC and NO probably would have displayed.
Show me the replay off Dee Ford jumping offsides from the sideline at the line of scrimmage again, I don't ever remember seeing that exact camera view that( even) every preseason has had. They had 90 camera angles of Edelmans non fumble, but when ***got 12 throws the pic, they had the offside called. not saying it wasn't, would just like to see that angle..... There's always an Angle.... As Pacino said in Carlito's way "When you can’t see the angles no more, you’re in trouble, baby. You’re in trouble........ Two big market teams in the SB last year wasn't a bad ($) angle

I agree on the electronic devices, rather than the chains. If the kickoff rule stays as is might as well get rid of it. Would you still have the two-point conversion, but after every touchdown? That might add some excitement.
Make a td 7 points with an option to go for two, maybe move the line of scrimmage back a few yards.

In 'soccer' there is now technology which makes the referees watch vibrate when the ball crosses the goal line. Surely something like this could be set up in NFL stadiums (and there aren't even very many of them compared to other sports) which would eliminate all the measurements and debates which slow down the game. The referee will always know the instant a first down has been completed.

But it would be more expensive than two sticks and a chain so it will no doubt not happen

Last edited:
I like this idea and it also takes the Refs out of the equation. That should be the goal...less human interference and more technical help to get bad calls out of it

Might have to be a judgement call. This would give the defense the opportunity to "mug" a player if it were a surefire touchdown and just get a 10-15 yard penalty. That rule does annoy me, though.

They don't have that problem in college football. I never see that or hear anyone complain about it.

No holding can be called on a team wearing aqua....

In 'soccer' there is now technology which makes the referees watch vibrate when the ball crosses the goal line. Surely something like this could be set up in NFL stadiums (and there aren't even very many of them compared to other sports) which would eliminate all the measurements and debates which slow down the game. The referee will always know the instant a first down has been completed.

But it would be more expensive than two sticks a chain so it will no doubt not happen

And the guys doing the measurements are on average 65 years old. Never understood that.

But it would be more expensive than two sticks a chain so it will no doubt not happen
I think the NFL might have enough spare change to foot the bill.

2 punt rule changes
Rule change #1: get rid of the whimpy punts on 4th and 1. Anything under 5 yards there is no punting. :chuckle:
Rule change #2: mandatory punts for Patriots on 1st down. :lol:

How about this for MNF?

Have all Monday night games be divisional match-ups between the 2 top seeded teams in each division. The following week, the same teams play each other Sunday 1pm. It should initially be the top 2 ranked teams from whatever division each week (based on final rankings prior season). Playing the same team the following week would eliminate the "short week" advantage/disadvantage. It may add some excitement to the match-ups also, knowing the two teams will be playing each other 2 weeks in a row. Interesting effect on game preparation and adjustments.

For example. Patriots win the title and are top seeded. They would automatically get 1 MNF Home game against the second seeded team in the division. The following week, those teams would play each other again Sunday 1 pm at the second seed team's home stadium.

Scheduling committee would have to decide best match-ups to schedule which weeks. There are other details that would have to be ironed out. For example, 2 overall high seeded teams in same division. Would you give the second seeded team a home MNF game against a lower seeded divisional opponent? Maybe not cause then they'd have 2 MNF games to the top seed's 1.

I suppose the downside is you wouldn't be able to get some of the exciting cross-divisional and cross-conference matchups.

I don't think it's possible to work anything out for Thursday night games to mitigate the advantage/disadvantages unless you try to work the bye week schedule around the Thurs night match-ups. However that would limit or completely eliminate the ability to swap out games mid-season.

How about this for MNF?

Have all Monday night games be divisional match-ups between the 2 top seeded teams in each division. The following week, the same teams play each other Sunday 1pm. It should initially be the top 2 ranked teams from whatever division each week (based on final rankings prior season). Playing the same team the following week would eliminate the "short week" advantage/disadvantage. It may add some excitement to the match-ups also, knowing the two teams will be playing each other 2 weeks in a row. Interesting effect on game preparation and adjustments.

For example. Patriots win the title and are top seeded. They would automatically get 1 MNF Home game against the second seeded team in the division. The following week, those teams would play each other again Sunday 1 pm at the second seed team's home stadium.

Scheduling committee would have to decide best match-ups to schedule which weeks. There are other details that would have to be ironed out. For example, 2 overall high seeded teams in same division. Would you give the second seeded team a home MNF game against a lower seeded divisional opponent? Maybe not cause then they'd have 2 MNF games to the top seed's 1.

I suppose the downside is you wouldn't be able to get some of the exciting cross-divisional and cross-conference matchups.

I don't think it's possible to work anything out for Thursday night games to mitigate the advantage/disadvantages unless you try to work the bye week schedule around the Thurs night match-ups. However that would limit or completely eliminate the ability to swap out games mid-season.
Never happen. People buy plane tickets and other travel plans months before the season starts. Can't have revolving dates like that all season.

Get rid of kickoffs and extra point kicks.
Why?
There's still plenty of KOs that are returnable, but teams are downing the ball to get it at the 25. It's still a game changing play.
Extra point changes have definately changed the outcome of games since the rule change. It's no longer automatic, and adds another dimension to the game.

Back
Top Bottom