What sides are you leaning to? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What sides are you leaning to?

Well take Watson ($40 mil per) and a 3rd round pick

Texans get: Tua 8 mil) Byron Jones (17 mil), Parker (12 mil)
3rd pick, 36th pick this year, 2nd round pick next season.

Keep and redo Howard's contact, draft best WR or OT with 18, trade back with the 2nd second round pick. There's lots of great late second round, talent. I'd take any of those receivers if they're there in the law sector and 3rd. Sage Surratt will be s Gabriel Davis type kid this year. Exede expectationsView attachment 62620View attachment 626213rd and 4th Round RBs and WRs

It's hard to say how much Watson would cost. We can talk about how much he should cost, but Houston gave Miami 2 1st's for a LT with a new contract on the horizon. They also traded Hopkins for pennies. I'm very interested in adding Watson, but you have to make sure you have the resources left over to build an offense for him. I don't see it happening, but Watson is special, and if you can get a special QB, you have to at least try to work a deal.

At 3, it's Fields/Wilson > trade down >>>> Smith/Chase > Sewell. I LOVE Smith, but I don't think he's going Top 5.

I like OT at 18 based on current projections - unless Waddle were to fall.
No question Watson should be the priority. Instant relevancy. Surge of energy and optimism that might be able to overcome the likely regression in 2021.

Normally when there's this much whisper it means at least some legitimacy. I wish Jack Easterby were fully running that team. He's got a blueprint that doesn't include guys like Watson. That's why I hope Watson does escape, whether or not it's to Miami.

You think a team would give a top 10 pick for Howard rather than just take Surtain? In what scenario are you wanting to take Surtain, we pretty much have zero offensive weapons.
If we trade X for another top 10 pick in 1st, IMO we are 100% drafting Surtain at 3. Then either Smith or Chase in top 10 and pass rusher/LB at 18. I love NDame hybrid LB/S, Owusu-Koramoah at 18.

For the millionth time, Miami is not trading their draft and blowing up their cap by 150M for D Watson. Everyone needs to get over that fantasy.

This will be an exciting offseason.

Let's all go on record on what side we lean towards on each of the relevant subjects so far.

Watson

Howard

What would you like the general strategy to be?

On Watson; I would just do my thing and wait until the Texans offer Watson and then deal w it. Period. Ignore it otherwise.

Howard; gimme a Top 16 pick + another 1st, otherwise I risk the hold out, try to convince him to play another year on this contract and renew next year.

#3, trade down, depending on Howard pick either a CB or WR.

#18, trade down also to maybe 24-25 and take Harris.

Stock pile value, whether players or picks, general rule. I want multiple picks in 2022 again.
Explore Watson. Two first round pics is fair compensation for a young franchise QB. Watson is amazing...the only thing amazing about Tua was his attitude when he got benched for playing poorly.

I'd pay Howard $1 more than we are paying Byron Jones. Its fair for him to be our highest paid CB. Otherwise, I explore trade options.

3.. Sewell or trade down.

18. Terrace Marshall or trade down.

Still seeing a lot of people with the attitude that we have to pick WRs early or we can't get good players...its totally wrong. Good players in every round.

watson..... I'm fine with keeping tua, give the kid weapons and time to develop. The ONLY way i'd kick myself over NOT trading for Watson is if he became a Patriot and we were stuck at #3 in the division for the next 10 years.

Howard...If he's holding out to demand being highest paid corner in the league, i almost say, try to get 2 firsts. If he wants to restructure his contract to be similiar AAV but wants to add guarantees, then I'm okay with that since i believe all his guaranteed money is gone. Never would i say "trade him for the sake of trading him because his value is at its highest"

#3 we need a wr, I'm guessing the gurus are telling me smith is the best. Im no college expert and didnt see a single bama game this year (fell asleep before the championship, im an old man). I would really like to feel Free Agency and the first two picks out. I dont want to just run up to the podium and hand in Smiths name the second we go on the clock. Ideally it'd be great to flip picks with ATL and pick up something in exchange. If Cinci makes a push for weapons in free agency, then i think it may be safe to trade as low as 5. If they shore up their OL in free agency, then they are probably looking weapon.
a) have to have willing partner
b) Cinci spent big on FA wr
if not, im fine with drafting a wr with the 3rd pick

#18 BPA UNLESS QB or CB take the talent and dont force this pick. we can get a good wr or rb at the 2A, or if we make the trade at #3, then we could probably package our way back into the bottom of the 1st.

General strategy..... isnt all the above general strategy?

Get Tua weapons that get seperation. Some of the experts here were talking about Tua throwing WR's open...interesting part, all the wr he "threw open" already had a yard or more seperation. It doesnt seem like the Chase or Pitts type players are his kind of wrs. Fitz just throws the balls up and tells the guys to get it, Tua feels like he has to be precise (IMO), maybe its a trust issue, maybe its confidence, maybe it's the "ask".

I would like a better roamer deep in the secondary though. we also need an OC that will open the playbook for Tua. Once again, we dont know if it was Flo, Gailey, or Tua's fault he was so hesitant with the ball. And dont attack me for saying Tua, i know the wr were unreliable and not that great, but he didnt take risks and we dont know if that was cause he was told not to, because he didnt trust the wr/te/rb, or if cause he was just worried about making a mistake.

Anymore than 2 firsts and Tua for Watson and you have to question whether it’s worth it?

Losing draft capital and taking on an additional high salary (albeit not initially) would hurt the rebuild.

I’m not sure there are any stand out FA that would fit what we want to do? They say Allen Robinson is too similar to Parker and we need someone to stretch the field.

Juju didn’t cover himself in glory in his last game so maybe there’s character concerns there?

I’m confident that Grier will do his due diligence and he won’t risk the rebuild for one player no matter how good he is. The deal has to be right for the long term.

Would Love DW but not at his cap hit or what it would cost to get him.
Howard I would keep unless blown away by a trade.Like the Tunsil trade.
#3 I would trade down
#18 I would also trade down unless Pitts is still there.

We made this mistake before with not signing Brees, I understand Tua is a rookie and hope he becomes great but when we have a chance to land a young top 5 QB in the league it's hard to pass up, and now that Armondo's article is out Tua will always be looking over his shoulder, it's hard for a QB to develop when even his players doubt his ability. The one thing I don't want to happen is all the locker room toxic energy that we have had for years before Flores took the reigns.

That doesn't make sense, so we could solve two offensive issues via free agency yet you're not willing to give up tua and the number 3 and number 18 for Watson.
I am willing give it up.. 3,18 and tua.. watson would speed up process..add wr and draft rb.. and dept to team..it still normal draft.. buffalo,bal,k.c,ten, and browns ain't going nowhere...these team are load w talent.. if dolphins can make it happen.. do it and dont look back..

I'll bite. Here's my dream scenario.

Keep Tua and forget the Watson rumors. With the salary and draft picks you'd have to give up there is no way you could build a long term winning franchise.

Give Howard the $. There are plenty of ways to give him a raise and make it team friendly.

1 major offseason free agent pickup: Chris Godwin.

Pick 3. Trade back with Cinci at 5 and draft Smith or Chase. Get the #38 from Cinci.

Pick 18. Trade up with the #50 & #82 for Parsons. One of those teams who needs a QB is going to miss out and be looking for more future picks...pounce.

Pick 36. Harris

Pick 38 from Cinci. Creed Humphrey

This solidifies our interior line, gives Tua weapons and gives the D the linebacker is hasn't seen since Zach Thomas. I expect my contract offer from Ross to be in the mail shortly.

I’d take Watson if Houston takes Tua, the 18th pick, and a 1 next year.

If that happens, I’d trade down from 3 to get that team’s 2021 1 and 2022 1. I want Smith and Harris. Then get me a LB and Edge rusher with the 2nd rounders. After that it’s BPA.

This isn’t even taking into account free agency. I don’t know how any of that will play out.

As for Howard possibly holding out? Trade him.

Watson - Not interested, Tua will be the QB we envisioned.

Howard - Keep him, convince him to play this season (playoff bound and beyond), and begin contract talks during the season while he's playing.

#3 - DeVonta Smith - Without having intel on what other teams are after, don't get cute, draft your guy. He will be drafted in the top 10 by a team regardless. Philly fans want him just as bad as us.

#18 - Najee Harris - the perfect back for our system. Bruiser back with breakaway speed, catch passes, and pass pro. Again, don't get cute and draft your guy. He won't get past Pittsburgh.

Najee Harris and DeVonta Smith looked really good playing on their future home field, we should've kept them in town so they can begin practicing with the Dolphins.

Last edited:
I’d give them their picks back for Watson.

X can play out his contract or sit, his choice.

#3 trade back and get Smith or Chase, no trade take Sewell

#18 trade back and take Najee, liking him more and more
no trade take Bateman, Collins, Rousseau

I'll bite. Here's my dream scenario.

Keep Tua and forget the Watson rumors. With the salary and draft picks you'd have to give up there is no way you could build a long term winning franchise.

Give Howard the $. There are plenty of ways to give him a raise and make it team friendly.

1 major offseason free agent pickup: Chris Godwin.

Pick 3. Trade back with Cinci at 5 and draft Smith or Chase. Get the #38 from Cinci.

Pick 18. Trade up with the #50 & #82 for Parsons. One of those teams who needs a QB is going to miss out and be looking for more future picks...pounce.

Pick 36. Harris

Pick 38 from Cinci. Creed Humphrey

This solidifies our interior line, gives Tua weapons and gives the D the linebacker is hasn't seen since Zach Thomas. I expect my contract offer from Ross to be in the mail shortly.

this is an interesting scenario but you aren’t getting to 18 for that price and parsons is gonna have to really fail for football character which means Miami probably won’t even want him to be there at 18.

that Tulsa kid might get more in your range.

Back
Top Bottom