What some Jet Fans are saying about the Jets-Fins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What some Jet Fans are saying about the Jets-Fins

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
samurai_inc - 02:43am Sep 17, 2002 EST (# 3640 of 3641)

Ever see that NFL commercials that sell the team merchandise - you know what commercial, the one with all the Jet fans and the one single HAPPY Dolphin loser.

Thankfully Reality had been nice on me - I happen to go into a place where there are a herd of Dolphin Fans and I'm the only single Jet fan.

Notice the key word "had" - meaning that Reality might crash very hard on me this Sunday if The Jets "don't find themselves".

Here is the situation - The Dolphins beat the daylights out of The Colts, who are currently coached by Herm's old boss Tony Dungy (I hope I got the spelling right for Mr. Perfect). Both Herm and Dungy share a lot of the same philosophy about Defense - The Dolphins shredded some of that last Sunday.

Trouble, right?

Considering that the Dolphins have lost the last 8 games with everyone's favorite Team - I don't think there is a lack of motivation there when it's game time this Sunday, unlike what is happening in Jet-land.

After reading that article about what The Jets thought about the Patriot game - the whining, the depressing analysis, whatever about how they can't find themselves - the last thing I need to see is the whole team on the first show of Dr. Phil.

Here's my analysis (my POV) - The Jets think too hard and play static at their positions to the playbook.

They're all too hyped up about how much they know "the system" and how it will get them to the Superbowl - problem is that in their eagerness to do "the system" exactly right - they forgot how to play their postions.

Herm hit it on the button when he criticized about being too much of the "thinking man's QB" and "not letting the ball fly" - too bad he was talking about Pennington and not about both the Offensive and Defensive Units of the team.

The Jets rely too much on the "System" and get lost - the players are not using their instincts when playing the game because they're too busy trying to follow through all the nooks and crannys of "the system". The players have forgotten that for "the system" to work they have to be able to apply each play to a given situation and be ready to change it when the situation changes. For example, during last Sunday's game, when Martin began to do a run, the defense had the O-line confused as to how to set-up the screen or the man-to-man coverage for a proper run, there was still time for Martin to see this before he took the ball from Vinny - but instead of playing his position and adjusting to run lateral to the side line, he followed "the system" to the letter and ran up the middle to four guys just soo happy to tackle him. Or the defense allowing a lot of Brady's long distance strikes go past them - above their heads without attmpting to either catch or deflect the pass at a moment's notice.

"They can't find themselves" - that line makes me crack up. This is New York, where a minute is as long as a Lifetime of decisions and regrets - nobody has the time to "lose themself".

If there is a deejay reading this, I like to dedicate a song to The Jets right now! It's sung by the Eagles - it's called, "Get over it!"

The Dolphins are hungry and angry. If there was a genie at Coco beach, The Dolphins would wish to humilate them like The Pats did for what has happened in the past (especially on Miracle Monday).

This is what the Jets got to do - "play the freak'in game" and let things slide into "the system" and if it doesn't, do your job and win.

God, I'd like to see 10 in a row this season over The Dolphins.

I'm trying to sift through and find positives about the Fins-Jets game that aren't just homeristic "the Pins are dumb@sses and we're cool and own them so we'll win!" kind of smacktalk. Basically, all I'm finding is a bunch of stuff about how the Jets coaching staff sucks and they could be in big trouble next week...

barkus1 - 04:46pm Sep 15, 2002 EST (# 3329 of 3641)

easily the worst loss of edward's short regime. In fact, this loss ranks up there with some of the all-timers.

O-line is a serious problem. I don't know if it's lack of talent or unfamiliarity but something is really wrong here. Maybe machado is not the answer.

Def. looks worse than last year right now.

two straight games of inablity to move and keep the ball.

the phins have a decent D and ricky in the backfield. It looks like it is going to be real ugly next week.

steffylivie - 04:42pm Sep 15, 2002 EST (# 3328 of 3641)

I have seen lousy football teams after watching the Jets all these years I have never seen them look so pathetic..The difference between the Pats and them is that the Pats have a good team and a great coaching staff...The Jets a good team but a lousy coaching staff..Where oh where is this vaunted defense we paid a lot of money for again they were completely humiliated and pushed all over the place, and our great offense typical Hackett three yards here four yards there and to think that some of the plays that the Pats made were strictly high school what a total embarasment...After pre season we all talked super bowl, the way these gus are playing they wouldn't make it to the toilet bowl..Again I have been watching them for years but this is by far the worst I have ever seen...Seventy five points in two games, and guess who we play next week..Boy oh boy...Just one mans opinion and a disgusted long time Jet fan

I'm trying to find a more in-depth discussion non-smack type of post that analyzes the Jets chances against the Phins positively..and there simply doesn't appear to be any room on the NYTimes MB for this type of thing...its either Jets Suck or Dolphins Suck.

davidahl - 04:10pm Sep 15, 2002 EST (# 3319 of 3641)

The reason the Jets got rid of Coleman and Glenn was because they couldn't tackle. Well two games into the season it appears that neither Abraham nor Beasely can tackle as well. The only difference is that Glenn and Coleman could cover man-to-man. Based on Hertz's stats last year's secondary is certainly better than this years secondary which is incapable of making a third down play.

On the other side of the ball, Hackett's offense has been outstanding--outstandingly bad. Hackett is not an NFL coach. His offense only works against a plain vanilla defense. Any game planning renders his offense powerless.

The absence of Bill Muir shows. Last season the Jets O-line gave excellent protection and consistently won the battle in the trenches. This year the O-line is being manhandled by the opposing lines including those former Jets: Hamilton, Pleasant, Lyle and Martin.

At this point the Jets will be lucky to play .500 ball this season. The bend-but-don't-break defense is consistently bending AND breaking. Its time for Cottrell and Edwards to do some game planning. Doing the same thing every week is a prescription for disaster. It would also be helpful if some of the Jets learned to tackle. This seems to be a forgotten skill on this team. Poor tackling is a reflection on the coaching staff. The coaching staff chooses the players and teaches them what is important. Its time to stop giving hosannas to Edwards and Cottrell and demand that they produce.

Based on today's performance, I'm now predicting that the Jets will lose next week in Miami by at least two TDs.

Here's a response to the last analysis by another fan...

darryl1960 - 04:37pm Sep 15, 2002 EST (# 3325 of 3641)

David

I thought your analysis was a bit harsh, but somewhat accurate. The O-line played horribly, like they had never played a NFL game together. CM had no holes to speak of, and when there was one, it was called back because of holding. I'm not sure if it was coaching, or just the influence of the Pats D-line.

Vinny was vinny when he is bad. He stinks up the joint when the Jets are not playing well. Where were the receivers????

The defense, especially the line, better start sucking it up. By the end of the second quarter they were spent. They played like it was December 15th,not September 15th. When the gun went off at the end of the first half, I thought they need a fleet of ambulances with wheelchairs to cart them off.

No doubt the worst effort since Herm signed on.

Herm and the coaching staff will have a ton of work just trying to the lift the team's confidence. No Jet player can possibly believe they are ready to challenge New England. I was impressed how the Patriots played like a defending Super Bowl champion. Very workman-like,very All-business.

I have to agree with Happyguy..the Pats are the class of the division, the Jets are just playing for a Wild Card spot.

It would appear that the only guy there that is still optimistic about the Phins game, is Ray_Ray19. Who I'm sure is pretty infamous among Dolphins Boards as being the most inflammatory, infamous, flamboyant, and homeristic Jet fan that populates any Phins boards.

Ray Ray is inflammatory all right. He needs to be doused with Preparation H.

The problem with the first post is that according to Herm/Dungy and their cover 2 scheme...you HAVE to stick to the system. That is what the system relies on. Everyone knowing their role and sticking to it and covering their zone. It worked in Tampa because they always had great players to play in it. Ever watch Tampa's D when John Lynch is out???

Just like Spurriers sputtering offense last night, it will take another year to get the personnel in there (at the expense of the other side of the ball) for the system to work well.

The good news is this is the year we sweep the Jets and worry about the Pats.

Seems like old times.

Everyone it seems is panicking. This high-octane offense that the Jets were gonna run this year is not working. (Right Now)

Problem has been Vinny has not had time to throw. The Pats doubled both Moss and Coles and basically told the Jets that if you are gonna beat us your gonna have to do it with Chrebet and Becht. Add to the fact that the o-line did not pass block well and Curtis Martin was only in for a few plays. Well you know the rest.

This is gonna be a really big game for both sides. I expect to see a very angry Jets squad come out and try to run the ball down Miami's throat. Although if Surtain does not play that could change.

Weather could also be a factor. If it is incredibly hot and humid I can see both side try for time consuming drives and wear down the defense.

It's gonna be a war and it's gonna be fun.

I'll admit..I'm a bit concern about a team who lost like that..they won't gradification now..they will play harder than they normally would..knowing this game means so much from a divison stand points..they would be 2 down with only 5 to go..that's not a good position in a 4 team division..but we've got to want to smack them just because the streak..this will be a good game..hopefully we don't come out flat..

"stick to the system, stick to the system"

Famous words of Rich Kotite.

Other than Joe Gibbs successful NFL coaches coach to their talent. Most losers try and mold their talent to the system. Edwards is learning, by the time he gets his 2nd NFL coaching job in 2004 he may show some flexibility.

Gibbs and Walsh and Shanahan and.........

I want the Jets to play their heart out, as long as they can. How long can they go 100% in this heat and humidity? Shawn, honestly, your D-line better be spending the whole week in very hot weather. They have to deal with the heat, humiduty, and a very determined Dolphins team that boasts the bruising Ricky Williams. Can they last the whole game against a runner like Ricky while putting up with this heat? Plus, I guarantee you all will be wearing your green jerseys, not the white. It'll be a long day for your team if their not prepared......

Here are some matchups for the game, as opposed to the past 8 game win streak over the Fins I would be feeling like home field advantage will help the Fins overcome and win this one. But as I heard on the Sporanos last night "Welcome to the NFL, kid"

http://www.covers.com/data/nfl/game/g1_10300.html

Overall the Fins are favored by 6.

Originally posted by BMarion31
I want the Jets to play their heart out, as long as they can. How long can they go 100% in this heat and humidity? Shawn, honestly, your D-line better be spending the whole week in very hot weather. They have to deal with the heat, humiduty, and a very determined Dolphins team that boasts the bruising Ricky Williams. Can they last the whole game against a runner like Ricky while putting up with this heat? Plus, I guarantee you all will be wearing your green jerseys, not the white. It'll be a long day for your team if their not prepared......

The heat could definately be a factor. Last I checked though at weather.com they were calling for thundershowers and a high of 89 so we may catch a break there.

We handled Ricky last year and our run defense was not that great. Now I'm not sure if Miami's O-Line is better right now than what the Saints were last year but I'm hoping (Notice I'm not saying) they can contain him again.

Offensively I think your gonna get alot of Curtis, and if Surtain does not play I could see the Jets trying to exploit it by maybe throwing to Moss or Coles. (If they can remember how to throw the ball downfield).

It's gonna be real interesting to see how this turns out. Jets could ill afford to fall 2 games behind Miami and New England.

Originally posted by shawn306

The heat could definately be a factor. Last I checked though at weather.com they were calling for thundershowers and a high of 89 so we may catch a break there.

Offensively I think your gonna get alot of Curtis,

Sorry but there is still the humidity which makes you just melt.

Isn't Curtis's ankle still hurting which is why he has not shown up the last two weeks???

Back
Top Bottom