What stops this offense? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What stops this offense?

propheticWrit

Rookie
Reaction score
We've all been on a fantastic high these past few weeks watching Tua and co. dissect NFL defenses with ease. There hasn't been a whole lot slowing down the phins other than a smattering of self inflicted injuries in the form of penalties, dropped passes, and Tua misfires. Hill is a matchup nightmare who gets to do whatever he wants on the field. Teams are either so respectful of his speed they play off him or McDaniel manufactures a clean release by bringing him in motion. The RPO/play action has kept everyone guessing enough that Tua has had a couple clean jersey days. I can't imagine he ever though he'd see another in his career after the past couple seasons of getting hammered.

We've seen this before with offensive attacks that have everyone baffled until someone comes along with what seems at least on the surface to be a ridiculously simple solution. McVay had his moment until he saw an extra man on the line of scrimmage completely nullifying his rushing attack. Mahomes and Reid couldn't be stopped until someone decided he wasn't going to throw deep on them anymore. Even Murray and Kingsbury had their brief time in the sun.

So what do you think is going to be the counter to the McDaniel/Tua show?

We've all been on a fantastic high these past few weeks watching Tua and co. dissect NFL defenses with ease. There hasn't been a whole lot slowing down the phins other than a smattering of self inflicted injuries in the form of penalties, dropped passes, and Tua misfires. Hill is a matchup nightmare who gets to do whatever he wants on the field. Teams are either so respectful of his speed they play off him or McDaniel manufactures a clean release by bringing him in motion. The RPO/play action has kept everyone guessing enough that Tua has had a couple clean jersey days. I can't imagine he ever though he'd see another in his career after the past couple seasons of getting hammered.

We've seen this before with offensive attacks that have everyone baffled until someone comes along with what seems at least on the surface to be a ridiculously simple solution. McVay had his moment until he saw an extra man on the line of scrimmage completely nullifying his rushing attack. Mahomes and Reid couldn't be stopped until someone decided he wasn't going to throw deep on them anymore. Even Murray and Kingsbury had their brief time in the sun.

So what do you think is going to be the counter to the McDaniel/Tua show?
Offenses that rely on short to intermediate passing are very difficult to stop if your QB is upright, and accurate.
Where they fall is usually in the red zone, where these offenses tend to bog down...

But thus far, Tua has been very, very good in these situations... so, I'm not sure we can be stopped... merely slowed down.

A Tua injury (knocking HARD AF on wood)!

As long as Tua continues to not make those plays from the past, where he would hold on to the ball for too long, and get a coverage sack, we will be fine. I would say a good DLine would be an issue, but not only does he get rid of the ball quicker than the Dlinemen can get to him, but his pocket presence and anticipation is elite.

As long as we are healthy, I believe this offense will continue to produce. I do not see any defense in the league that can clamp down on us. Contain us, yes, shut is down, nah, I do not see it.

Offenses that rely on short to intermediate passing are very difficult to stop if your QB is upright, and accurate.
Where they fall is usually in the red zone, where these offenses tend to bog down...

But thus far, Tua has been very, very good in these situations... so, I'm not sure we can be stopped... merely slowed down.
Exactly. This is why have always preferred Tua to Herbert. His game is way more comparable to Brady’s game than people talk about. Brady was practically unstoppable because he got the ball out quickly, had a complimentary running game, and could occasionally hit receivers 20-30 yards downfield. I think this offense can look a lot like the Pats of the 2000’s. The great Ravens defenses would occasionally stop them. Even our pass rush on occasion. But mostly they controlled the game. That’s what I hope we do going forward.

Exactly. This is why have always preferred Tua to Herbert. His game is way more comparable to Brady’s game than people talk about. Brady was practically unstoppable because he got the ball out quickly, had a complimentary running game, and could occasionally hit receivers 20-30 yards downfield. I think this offense can look a lot like the Pats of the 2000’s. The great Ravens defenses would occasionally stop them. Even our pass rush on occasion. But mostly they controlled the game. That’s what I hope we do going forward.
The way to beat a fairly immobile QB is to beat his ass... and that always worked on Brady... and Brees as well, and it's why the Armstead signing was so monumentally important. We MUST keep Tua clean; he's small, injury prone, and not a plus scrambler.
I think our offensive success has more to do with Williams, Armstead, and Hunt than it does with Hill, Mostert, and Wilson. Weapons are good, but a line is better in my mind.
If any two of Jackson, Jones, and Eichenberg become plus players... this team will not be stopped-- the intermediate routes are open now, one more second in the pocket will open the deep routes too.

The scheme is perfectly designed for the current rules, as long as you stay healthy and the opponent doesn’t have overwhelming mismatches…just execute and don’t beat yourself!

The Perfect team played under a different rule book, but they didn’t beat themselves…they played smart football.

We have three VERY good defenses in our division (hint: ours isn't one of the three). We'll see how we finish out the season. This is NOT doom and gloom, it's just wanting a little more confirmation we've arrived...and winning at least 2 of our last 3 divisional games would prove it for me. I'm excited to see it unfold.

With Tua getting the ball out lightning fast, making the OL look better than they are (though definitely improved over previous seasons), the track team of targets, a run game that looks vastly improved with JWJ, and hopefully Chubb shoring up the defense and making them more potent and able to play structures that lock down offenses better, everything's pointing up...just need to do it against stellar defenses and oh my...

I was thinking about this same thing the other day. Many have already touched on this, the O line has to stay healthy. Tua doesn't need all day, but he does need a few seconds to make his reads and fire. Beyond that, I think if we came up against a team with very good corners, who could blitz - they could slow this offense down. I think after a quarter or a half, McD would make adjustments to hot reads, more run plays, and we could still be successful. But that type of D could slow things down. I'm very curious to see what the Pats do in the next game with us.

Stop the stupid penalties that kill drives or give the opposition first downs. Get a Kicker who can make extra points so we dont lose the close games or have to go for it on 4th and 5 too often.

Lack of execution, i.e. pre-snap penalties, taking the ball out of Tua's hands. However, we got rid of one of the main culprits in Chase Edmonds.

Back
Top Bottom