What stops this offense? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What stops this offense?

Miami's Offense is one of the top in the league. I agree with the thoughts about keeping our QB upright and a clean jersey being keys to success. I think more importantly is the reduction of mental errors which result in untimely penalties which are hard to overcome. If you keep penalties and turnovers down, it will be hard to stop our offense.

And conservative play calling late in the game.
The Defense is okay against RBs, but the secondary is full of injuries and gives up a ton of yards and points. On Special Teams, Sanders is no longer reliable, they're not making big plays on kickoff or punt returns, and they're giving up too many big returns. (They need a consistently good return guy, and they should have kept Hollins; he was a playmaker on Special Teams!) Basically, except for a miracle, the Defense and Special Teams are not going to win games; it's up to the offense to score as much as possible to make sure that they win. So, conservative playcalling is very bad... unless they're up by at least 3 scores in the final few minutes.

Exactly. This is why have always preferred Tua to Herbert. His game is way more comparable to Brady’s game than people talk about. Brady was practically unstoppable because he got the ball out quickly, had a complimentary running game, and could occasionally hit receivers 20-30 yards downfield. I think this offense can look a lot like the Pats of the 2000’s. The great Ravens defenses would occasionally stop them. Even our pass rush on occasion. But mostly they controlled the game. That’s what I hope we do going forward.
They had success when they rattled Brady, I don't see Tua getting rattled. You hit Brady once or twice really hard and it would get him off his game. If Tua can stay collected after a few hits, which currently don't seem to really bother him (see Buffalo game after the Milano hit/shove), I think he'll have much success. Brady often sped up his throwing when rattled and didn't have the ultra-quick receivers, as we do, to get open that quickly. We have the ability to get rid of the ball quickly with success to neutralize any quick rush. Much Quicker than Brady ever had, he may have had a quick release but when the receivers can't get open that quickly is where he would run into trouble...

Last edited:
Bad THREAD!

:DWN:

Based on a negative premise!

:WOW:

Make it go AWAY!

:out:

I wonder what would happen if you pressed Hill and Waddle with bigger CB's and with cover 2 safeties? I'm sure they would just motion alot more right(

Miami's Offense is one of the top in the league. I agree with the thoughts about keeping our QB upright and a clean jersey being keys to success. I think more importantly is the reduction of mental errors which result in untimely penalties which are hard to overcome. If you keep penalties and turnovers down, it will be hard to stop our offense.
The penalties come from our OL run blocking on almost every play (regardless if it's a pass) and making it into the second level before the ball is thrown. We got a lot with TB and ST and still a few too many against the Steelers but we've cleaned it up since because Tua let's it rip quicker, before our OL become "ineligible" or "Offensive holding" or any name the official gives it.

We've all been on a fantastic high these past few weeks watching Tua and co. dissect NFL defenses with ease. There hasn't been a whole lot slowing down the phins other than a smattering of self inflicted injuries in the form of penalties, dropped passes, and Tua misfires. Hill is a matchup nightmare who gets to do whatever he wants on the field. Teams are either so respectful of his speed they play off him or McDaniel manufactures a clean release by bringing him in motion. The RPO/play action has kept everyone guessing enough that Tua has had a couple clean jersey days. I can't imagine he ever though he'd see another in his career after the past couple seasons of getting hammered.

We've seen this before with offensive attacks that have everyone baffled until someone comes along with what seems at least on the surface to be a ridiculously simple solution. McVay had his moment until he saw an extra man on the line of scrimmage completely nullifying his rushing attack. Mahomes and Reid couldn't be stopped until someone decided he wasn't going to throw deep on them anymore. Even Murray and Kingsbury had their brief time in the sun.

So what do you think is going to be the counter to the McDaniel/Tua show?
Crossing 40 mph wind and/or snow and QB trying to grip the frozen/slick football with the above conditions.

Back
Top Bottom