What stops this offense? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What stops this offense?

In general, if the QB gets the ball out in under 2.5 seconds accurately and on time to the right guy and he catches it then nothing can stop this offense. In other words, there's no defense for the perfect pass.

A defense could, however, try to make any of those steps more difficult.

A defense can try to get pressure before 2.5 seconds (it would have to be up the middle against most play calls). (That's why moving Williams to C was such a key decision). You could see that in games where teams disrupted Brady. It was often with pressure up the middle.

They can try and confuse the QB. Teams have tried this but so far Tua has been pretty good at reading defenses and has made them pay.

They can try and flood the zones where the QB wants to go. This is the one I think is most likely. Pitt had success in the second half b/c it seemed like Minkah scared Tua off his middle of the field passes. Tua was clearly rusty that game and didn't use his outside alternatives very well. Cleveland did something similar with a ton of cover 3 and cover 6. They tried to take away the middle of the field and anything deep to force the offense to be more methodical. But Tua had better answers than against Pitt and showed much better patience.

Not only did he use more other targets, but specifically he used the backs out of the backfield a lot more. Mostert, who was never a great receiving back, caught several. And Wilson provided a huge upgrade as a receiver vs. what we got from Chase. Ingold also contributed after some drops out of the backfield early in the season. Being able to hit those backs out of the backfield is huge when you stretch the defense vertically. It's just a tough ask for LBs to get deep and take away the middle and then come back up to tackle in the short areas.

The other key is the addition of the run game. If the team can run against the better DLs, then defenses have to involve the LBs more. That, of course makes it more difficult for them to get enough depth quickly enough against really fast receivers.

So basically, a defense needs to be able to stop the run and get inside pressure with their DL, have LBs or hybrid Ss that can cover a lot of space in the middle of the field yet also get up to limit the backs out of the backfield.
Do you think Tua prefers attacking the middle of the field because he doesn't have elite arm strength to make the sideline throws in the intermed-deep range? Not knocking Tua's arm strength just asking why he seems to prefer the middle of the field.

At this point, I think we can only stop ourselves with killer penalties. Oh, and Jason Effin Sanders!

What would happen is we would just go to other guys who, by definition of doubling Hill/Waddle, would be either single covered, or covered by a shorthanded zone approach.

With McD, it's more a choice of picking your poison. If we execute at a high level, and there's no reason to believe otherwise, no defense can take away everything.

Beyond that, few teams have Corners that can effectively press average receivers, let alone these two freaks.

Perfect post (Except for the capital C in corners).

But ya, you can't take anything away from this offense, you can only react to it.

Jaylen Waddle makes things unfair for defenses.

Last edited:
At this point, I think we can only stop ourselves with killer penalties. Oh, and Jason Effin Sanders!

I think its fair for the next defender who lines up in the neutral zone to get the tips of their fingers cut off.

I really, really, REALLY think thats fair. Penalties during play happen, lining up offsides is lazy.

Was it the Pittsburgh game that we literally did it 5 times? After the 3rd, 4th and 5th time is seemed like a joke.

Perfect post (Except for the capital C in corners).

But ya, you can't take anything away from this offense, you can only react to it.

Jaylen Waddle makes things unfair for defenses.
I believe capitalization for positional references is the correct literary composition convention...............

Only thing that stops this offense it's itself .......penalties or mistakes have stopped some drives......play clean and we can move the ball and score on anybody

I think its fair for the next defender who lines up in the neutral zone to get the tips of their fingers cut off.

I really, really, REALLY think thats fair. Penalties during play happen, lining up offsides is lazy.

Was it the Pittsburgh game that we literally did it 5 times? After the 3rd, 4th and 5th time is seemed like a joke.
Doesn't make any sense to me either, we execute everything else with focus and efficiency.

Perhals Wilkins is grabbing crotches and tugging to hard...football is a game of inches. A couple of extra and you're hanging out in the neutral bone.

I'd blame Tua tbh, what QB allows his DL to commit penalties he has no control over?! And why hasn't he cut Sanders, someone call Mina Kimes ASAP some hot takes.

Back
Top Bottom