What tactic will Grier use on draft night? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What tactic will Grier use on draft night?

We’ve been drafting for need and look what that’s done for us the past 25 yrs. Round 1 & 2 go BPA, after that you can draft for need.
The biggest for the Dolphins has been QB and that has not been Miami's approach.

I mean this is harsh, but at the same time, its hard to really pin down some sort of strategy from his picks so it does feel like darts... Grier has put the Fins in a good position assets wise going foward, great value moves and some bad value moves but Fins are still the chip leaders in that department. BUT, the player picking part of it is all over the place, positional value, BPA, team needs whatever... Does feel like darts.

2 years ago with Rosen and Wilkens I believe were picks more by Grier filling the needs on the team projected with Florres with Grier choosing the players. Last year watching the comments and actions on draft day it appeared Florres had much more in the input in the choices. When Davis was chosen he was very excited and I believe he backed the Iggy pick too.
Looking back at the picks, draft guides and grades after the draft the linebacker Weaver was heralded as our best selection, while Davis, Hunt and couple of others were presented as reaches and in the end Weaver was cut right away and for the most part outside Iggy the others contributed more than expected. Look for larger size players or guys that can contribute at different positions as highly sought after by this team.

It's chess. What player maximizes our quest to win the AFC East. We have to consider who we play, the matchups and the pieces we need to have an advantage. It's not rocket science.

What tactic will Grier use on draft night?​

He can man the phones, as he does okay making deals. But, make sure someone else is doing the drafting!

This is a tough question to answer without knowing what is on the Dolphins draft board. How are the players grouped? Are there positions that we won't consider?

It gets worse... which players who are playing on expiring contracts do we intend to keep? Which players on longer term contracts are at risk from a performance vs. pay standpoint?

Without knowing the answers to these questions, drawing any sensible conclusions is impossible.

Let's say that Grier and Flores LOVE Rashod Bateman... indeed, maybe they think he's the best WR in the draft. I know, this defies the conventional wisdom here at FH, but it could be true, and those with open minds can grant this.

So... at #6, Grier decides to trade down with Washington for several picks, and then selects Bateman with #19. He might be the happiest man on Earth... and most of Finheaven would be angry... and they'd have no clue that the trade down was to GET Bateman.

But substitute any player you like for Bateman... It doesn't matter, because NONE of us know what the Dolphins board looks like. Hell, we wouldn't have known how much they wanted Davis last year if we hadn't seen the high fives after they selected him.

This is a tough question to answer without knowing what is on the Dolphins draft board. How are the players grouped? Are there positions that we won't consider?

It gets worse... which players who are playing on expiring contracts do we intend to keep? Which players on longer term contracts are at risk from a performance vs. pay standpoint?

Without knowing the answers to these questions, drawing any sensible conclusions is impossible.

Let's say that Grier and Flores LOVE Rashod Bateman... indeed, maybe they think he's the best WR in the draft. I know, this defies the conventional wisdom here at FH, but it could be true, and those with open minds can grant this.

So... at #6, Grier decides to trade down with Washington for several picks, and then selects Bateman with #19. He might be the happiest man on Earth... and most of Finheaven would be angry... and they'd have no clue that the trade down was to GET Bateman.

But substitute any player you like for Bateman... It doesn't matter, because NONE of us know what the Dolphins board looks like. Hell, we wouldn't have known how much they wanted Davis last year if we hadn't seen the high fives after they selected him.
I definitely appreciate that you are reminding us that Grier will probably look at things differently than us. I have my favorites, but I am preparing myself for the worst and a possible night of disappointment. We could take Sewell (Zierlein's 9th ranked player) and Rousseau (Zierlein's 46 ranked player), and initially, I will be upset. Not saying they won't be good players. I don't know, but to pass on Pitts or one of the WR when it's obvious to everyone, even me, that we are hurting badly for playmakers on offense would be a headscratcher for sure. I can understand the Sewell pick more than the other, but I am sure after I sleep on it for a while, I will come around, but it will probably take a while.

Last edited:
I think Parsons is a real possibility at 6 IF:

1. Miami signs off on the person
2. Pitts and (probably) Chase are off the board
3. Miami expects the WR's to fall

J. Mayo is among the earliest picks the Patriots ever used on a player under BB (might be the earliest?), and Hightower is also one of the earliest (though obv later than Mayo). Things have changed since those two were drafted, so I don't think you can read too much into it, but it's worth noting.

As hoops and I have said, Pitts and Parsons are the two most obviously great prospects in the class (outside of QB). Most obvious does not equal best, but it counts for a lot.

If you feel confident you can get Smith at 18, I'd be good with it, but I wouldn't bypass Tier 1 WR's to draft Parsons. I could see Grier/Flores doing it, though.

You're supposed to have your priorities in order when you're drafting.
You have your must, your needs and your wants.
Right now your must is playmakers on offense. WR/TE
Your needs are RB/Edge and maybe safety
Your wants, Center.....some will call this a need but I'm not sure yet as Skura has some talent and if he can stay healthy he could cover that need.

Now what will the team do?.......probably the total opposite.
You could say the same thing about WR. With Wilson back and the addition of Fuller they now have playmakers at WR. If they can stay healthy they could fill that role as well.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you don't address the WR position, but with those two on the roster I don't know if it's a MUST. They could take the and slide it down the priority list and slide another area higher. This WR class is very deep and that position can be addressed in any of the first four rounds and get play makers.

J. Mayo is among the earliest picks the Patriots ever used on a player under BB (might be the earliest?), and Hightower is also one of the earliest (though obv later than Mayo). Things have changed since those two were drafted, so I don't think you can read too much into it, but it's worth noting.

As hoops and I have said, Pitts and Parsons are the two most obviously great prospects in the class (outside of QB). Most obvious does not equal best, but it counts for a lot.

If you feel confident you can get Smith at 18, I'd be good with it, but I wouldn't bypass Tier 1 WR's to draft Parsons. I could see Grier/Flores doing it, though.
I agree. You have to think Flo and Boyer are just chomping at the bits to get a player like Parsons in that defense. He is a day one starter and impact player. Outside of Sewell and maybe Pitts IMO he's the one player that comes in and makes an immediate impact.

The so called "tier 1" WRs haven't been all that great in recent (2 decades) draft history.

I'm not going to complain if its Parsons, Pitts, Chase or even Sewell (which I highly doubt).

Back
Top Bottom