What tactic will Grier use on draft night? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What tactic will Grier use on draft night?

The so called "tier 1" WRs haven't been all that great in recent (2 decades) draft history.

I'm not going to complain if its Parsons, Pitts, Chase or even Sewell (which I highly doubt).

Have to look a little deeper than that. Some WR's are great bets; some are not. Tier 2 has a couple of great bets, too. Ruggs, for example, was never a Tier 1 guy. Jefferson and Tee Higgins were, though. The NFL just let them fall, because it tends to prioritize the wrong things.

We’ve been drafting for need and look what that’s done for us the past 25 yrs. Round 1 & 2 go BPA, after that you can draft for need.
Tunsil and Fitzpatrick weren't needs, both were bpa's and they're both gone. At least we got good value for them in trades I guess.

Have to look a little deeper than that. Some WR's are great bets; some are not. Tier 2 has a couple of great bets, too. Ruggs, for example, was never a Tier 1 guy. Jefferson and Tee Higgins were, though. The NFL just let them fall, because it tends to prioritize the wrong things.
Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

This draft looks deep @WR, and I don't see the big gap between the top 2, and the next half dozen that some purport.

If there were a top level Edge/pass rusher available, I wouldn't be looking WR at #6 at all, TBH.

Which player helps the team the most?

BPA at positions we need...Unless there is a player that is just too good to pass up, and far better then anyone else still there.

Excellent point about Ruggs, Higgins and Jefferson..

Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

This draft looks deep @WR, and I don't see the big gap between the top 2, and the next half dozen that some purport.

If there were a top level Edge/pass rusher available, I wouldn't be looking WR at #6 at all, TBH.

I had both Higgins and Jefferson Tier 1, and I did not have Ruggs Tier 1, so hindsight doesn't apply.

I think the depth of the class is overrated, and after the top 6 WR's I don't have any Top 40 players.

Will we see BPA? positional value? Team needs?

last year 2 non-QBs were developmental players at positions of need and offered positional value. Swing for the fences.

In 2019 Wilkins character was needed as much as his skill set. Quite a safe pick.

Pitts dark magic

I had both Higgins and Jefferson Tier 1, and I did not have Ruggs Tier 1, so hindsight doesn't apply.

I think the depth of the class is overrated, and after the top 6 WR's I don't have any Top 40 players.
I'll take your word for it. We don't always agree philosophically, but your evals are usually good.

I agree that around 6 or so guys ( I might go 8) are worthy of top 40 consideration.

Some guys, for example, are seen as better slot fit, rather than wide. It depends on what a specific team is looking for. Then there are guys that have good upside but may need a year of development.

It isn't always about what a player is today, but what they could be with NFL level coaching. Obviously, you don't want to take a "project" with a top 20 pick.

Will we see BPA? positional value? Team needs?

last year 2 non-QBs were developmental players at positions of need and offered positional value. Swing for the fences.

In 2019 Wilkins character was needed as much as his skill set. Quite a safe pick.
Yes

Grier will do what fans expect him to do with pick 6 which is drafting a playmaker. After maybe pick 36 he will start Griering, picking based on need and reaching for players.

Back
Top Bottom