What tactic will Grier use on draft night? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What tactic will Grier use on draft night?

Agreed. I'm old enough to remember the early years of the franchise. Joe Thomas always said he had an overall draft philosophy and applied it every year. With that that of approach you'll have plenty of blotches and also dependable gems. Look at the 1968 through 1970 drafts. 1968 had Csonka, Dick Anderson and Jim Kiick. Only Csonka was earlier than third round. 1969 had Bill Stanfill, Mercury Morris and Lloyd Mumphord. Only Stanfill was earlier than third round. 1970 was a motherload with Jim Mandich, Tim Foley, Curtis Johnson, Jake Scott and Mike Kolen. Only Mandich was earlier than third round.

It seems to me that Grier relies on subjectivity and tries to win every pick of every round. You can't do it that way. If I were Ross I would be having frequent meetings with Grier regarding what philosophy he intends to employ, and why. Then Ross should stand over Grier's shoulder on every pick. No, Chris, we aren't going to deviate just because the past 10 picks have gone differently than we expected. You described your philosophy for 6 weeks. In this case it applies to that player, correct? Then that's who we are going to pick. Same thing next round and next year.
You think that the businessman should stand over the football professional's shoulder and dictate to him what he needs to do?

Really?

What tactic will Grier use on draft night?

Will we see BPA? positional value? Team needs?

last year 2 non-QBs were developmental players at positions of need and offered positional value. Swing for the fences.

In 2019 Wilkins character was needed as much as his skill set. Quite a safe pick.
I expect least one surprise. My guess would be trading a current player for more picks.

GRIER AND FLO AT THE TABLE DRAFT NIGHT

200w-1.gif

This is a tough question to answer without knowing what is on the Dolphins draft board. How are the players grouped? Are there positions that we won't consider?

It gets worse... which players who are playing on expiring contracts do we intend to keep? Which players on longer term contracts are at risk from a performance vs. pay standpoint?

Without knowing the answers to these questions, drawing any sensible conclusions is impossible.

Let's say that Grier and Flores LOVE Rashod Bateman... indeed, maybe they think he's the best WR in the draft. I know, this defies the conventional wisdom here at FH, but it could be true, and those with open minds can grant this.

So... at #6, Grier decides to trade down with Washington for several picks, and then selects Bateman with #19. He might be the happiest man on Earth... and most of Finheaven would be angry... and they'd have no clue that the trade down was to GET Bateman.

But substitute any player you like for Bateman... It doesn't matter, because NONE of us know what the Dolphins board looks like. Hell, we wouldn't have known how much they wanted Davis last year if we hadn't seen the high fives after they selected him.
Depending what we do at 6, there are 2-3 players (DVP, Gesicki and X) who could be traded on draft day. That will throw a wrench into everyone’s mock. Would be such a Grier thing to do

Depending what we do at 6, there are 2-3 players (DVP, Gesicki and X) who could be traded on draft day. That will throw a wrench into everyone’s mock. Would be such a Grier thing to do
Those could all happen... I'd wager that DVP is the least likely to go. His contract is very affordable this year, and actually goes down in 2022 and 2023. He signed a contract that assumed that he wouldn't be the #1 WR going forward. New money in 2022 and 2023 is just over 6M per year. Cheap.

Same ole tactic where he misses on players he thought would still be there

I think there are a few factors the team thinks about.

1. Where we are picking. Early in the draft there is more pressure to pick bpa, as the draft goes on its all about need. Idk what anyone says tho, teams pick based on need almost always.

2. Bad contracts. Who needs to go next year becuase the contract is bad. Jones and mccain come to mind for this years draft.

3. Value of position. Look at the way we are built, our picks went to the oline and QB our money went to CB. Flo obviously likes to pick lineman before skill guys and I think it is easier to hit on a rb or wr in the second round than it is to find an edge rusher or the huge tackle in the first round. I think this year is the year we get the rb and wr just not sure if that happens in the 1st round.

The awesome thing we can all agree on is having the 6,18,36,50 gives us the flexibility to get the job done in almost an order of position. Maybe we do pick a wr in the 1st round we have the ammo!

Where is the pressure?

Wide receiver is such a weird position, given that mano a mano aspect. None of the test categories fully apply, although I think jumping translates well. The league thought it was devaluing Metcalf and Higgins via lessens learned from Treadwell, who scored very poorly in some categories equating to a very poor RAS. Then it turns out to be nothing similar because the other two guys do have the competitiveness aspect and also the instinctive ability to body position and box out.

Every year there are a flood of wide receivers entering college with huge ratings. The college recruiting gurus always rave about it. More talent at that position than any other. Seems to me in this era of specialization every NFL team should have someone who specializes in scouting wide receivers, and especially the traits that make a great wide receiver. Really no excuse to be lagging at that position right now. You almost have to go out of your way to do it.

Tee Higgins is wild, because he was a star basketball ball player coming out of Tennessee and the Top HS WR by at least some publications. He then went to Clemson and was good right away, continued to get better, tied the Clemson TD receptions record, and has like 34" arms. He didn't test well, though. He didn't test terribly - just not well. So, you have this guy who is as blue chip as they come, except for testing, at a position where only really poor speed/burst/agility preclude you from greatness.

Meanwhile, Ruggs was never particularly good, and he went WR1.

If there's a position where I want to project as little as possible, it's WR. The good ones let you know they're good. They generally go to the best schools, because they're already really good in HS, and they play against the best DB's, and they bear the best CB's. Basically - a few SEC teams, Clemson, Ohio State, some other guys scattered around Big 10, and the occasional other guy from somewhere else. That could obviously change if Miami or USC wakes up, but right now, that's where the talent goes.

The other thing, you don't get to see how a lot of these guys really play WR. Only a few WR's in a given class face press coverage from future NFL CB's on a somewhat consistent basis - as consistent as it gets, anyway. A lot of these guys face nothing but free releases and open space. In the NFL, beating press is a fundamental thing - same for the SEC and CFB Playoffs. Before some say, but Ruggs went to Alabama, and SEC schools, you still have to be good. He's always been just a nice role player.

At WR, in particular, draft the best of the best. If a guy figures out how to beat the best college CB's on a regular basis, against coverage most similar to what he'll see in the NFL, he'll probably also figure out how to do it in the NFL. If certain metrics dislike him, they're probably less consistent and less comprehensive than the info you can gather by watching him beat the best competition available.

Agreed. I'm old enough to remember the early years of the franchise. Joe Thomas always said he had an overall draft philosophy and applied it every year. With that that of approach you'll have plenty of blotches and also dependable gems. Look at the 1968 through 1970 drafts. 1968 had Csonka, Dick Anderson and Jim Kiick. Only Csonka was earlier than third round. 1969 had Bill Stanfill, Mercury Morris and Lloyd Mumphord. Only Stanfill was earlier than third round. 1970 was a motherload with Jim Mandich, Tim Foley, Curtis Johnson, Jake Scott and Mike Kolen. Only Mandich was earlier than third round.

It seems to me that Grier relies on subjectivity and tries to win every pick of every round. You can't do it that way. If I were Ross I would be having frequent meetings with Grier regarding what philosophy he intends to employ, and why. Then Ross should stand over Grier's shoulder on every pick. No, Chris, we aren't going to deviate just because the past 10 picks have gone differently than we expected. You described your philosophy for 6 weeks. In this case it applies to that player, correct? Then that's who we are going to pick. Same thing next round and next year.
Well, I hear what you are saying about Grier, but I personally dont want Mr. Ross dictating much at any point draft-wise. If he tells Flores to keep Grier focused I would be fine with that. Just remember Ross hired guys like Gase, Tannenbaum, Philbin...

Back
Top Bottom