What team did you leave to become a Dolphins fan? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What team did you leave to become a Dolphins fan?

Grew up on Miami Beach. I loved John Unitas and the Baltimore Colts. After Shula became their Coach I was hooked. When Shula came to Miami it was freaking heaven on earth .Then we had the undefeated season. I just thank God that I lived to see the great Miami Dolphin team of 1972 run the table culminating in a great Super Bowl victory. It was a feat that may never happen again. I was just a kid but I was there as a crazy fan watching every game like my life depended on it.
The team we have now reminds me a little bit of the 72 Fins. We didn't have a ton of Pro Bowl players early on. The players got major recognition and became stars as the team became great. A lot of players on our roster now have the same opportunity. They know they will win or lose as a team. 72 Fins were a bunch of team first guys who played very sound football under a great Head Coach. Flores and this team can achieve greatness. It's all there in front of them. We need to be a team that commits very few penalties, we need to be opportunistic on defense, we need to generate a pass rush that gets into the opposing QB's head, we need to be a play action ball control offense that takes its deep shots when they're there. We have a ton of speed on all 3 sides of the ball. The days of the Dolphins being an easy out are over.

None, rooted for them since I was 7, 72ish. I think the lure of the Florida sun and bright colors must have got me. After all tv and press wasn’t all that abundant.

I remember as I grew I would catch maybe one or two games on the tube, playoffs ones in particular and received a magazine with some dated info on the team. I have pics of me wearing my Dolphins heavy coat, hat, mittens from Sears catalog. Damn that catalog was about 6”think but had a sports clothes section.

I actually went to a game at the Orange Bowl as a boy and thought life couldn’t get any better.

I was born and raised in upstate NY. I was a big Giants fan as that was the only channel we had growing up. Once I moved to Florida my boss was a Dolphins season ticket holder and used to take me to a lot of games. Been a huge fan ever since!!!!

I grew up in Miami and was a Colt fan until Miami got a NFL franchise and the Dolphins were born.
Good-bye Colts, but I was pleased to no end when the Dolphins got Shula who was the Colts head coach.

Became a Dolphins fan at a young age, loved the uniforms. But also root for the New York Giants. As a young kid all they televised were the New York teams so the Giants became my 2nd team. The Dolphins were always my team. Traveling to visit family in Florida was always a treat, because I'd ask my parents to take me to the store to buy Dolphins T-shirts. Fun times.

So you two are brothers - LOL
Most of my family barely follows Dolphins anymore I am the only one with dedication left. Lackluster decades they quit really following, they may ask me for latest information but they don't really follow the team.

None, was a fins fan as soon as I saw Marino and the logo as a kid

I do live close to KC and have become a Mahomes fan I have to admit. Most of my life I hated the Chiefs, but Mahomes is so fun to watch hes kinda won me over.

Fan since the early '70s when I was a kid. I live in Chicago, never really cared for the Bears.

I watched Flipper when I was kid, I thought the dolphin was a beautiful mammal, so I associated that with the football team. 🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬
Flipper kinda a played a roll in my love for the team too. I always thought Dolphins were badass bc they could kill sharks lol

Flipper was a badass

I've never been a fan of ANY other NFL team. Its been the Miami Dolphins all day everyday since probably the beginning of the 90s. I was born in central Illinois then moved to Indiana when I was about 9 or 10 years old. This was way back when the Colts were still in the AFC East and we always had the Dolphins playing on TV (not to mention all the Monday night games being shown). I became a big fan rather quickly cause of Marino, Shula, the one of a kind awesome uniforms and the fact that all my childhood friends HATED the Fins (because they would destroy the Colts on pretty much a regular basis) lol . They were so much fun to watch (especially watching in awe as Marino slinging it all day) and also growing up my parents would take me to some games when Miami would come to Indy . As well as watching some Dolphins' practices over the years growing up when we went on vacation as a family. Ah good times!

So yeah, there was never a time in my life when I was a fan of another team. Nor will there ever be. GO FINS!

One of the coolest things about this site is that we all love the Miami Dolphins. We may have our little disagreements but when you scrape it all away we share a strong bond. If a Bill's fan shows up or some lurker comes here spouting negative crap about our team we close ranks quickly and pretty much rip the hell out of the poor slob!! If you come here talking crap you're going to get slammed!!
The other thing I like is after a tough loss we can come here and lick our wounds together. We can commiserate, look for silver linings etc. Some of the better posters used to post positives to take from a loss. It all helps when you're feeling awful over a loss.

Back
Top Bottom