What Team Would You Most Like to Resemble? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums
I’m gonna take the cop-out; KC. I think the 49ers are incredibly overrated. They are great at beating teams that can’t score. They build a lead and relentlessly pass rush. It’s a pretty simple formula and it works. Until they go up against at team like KC that can score 21 points in 3 drives. Then the ball goes into Jimmy G’s hands and you get to see that he’s pretty much the poor man’s Alex Smith. I’d much rather build an explosive offense around an elite QB and have one of those typical Patriots defenses that bends but doesn’t break.

I’m gonna take the cop-out; KC. I think the 49ers are incredibly overrated. They are great at beating teams that can’t score. They build a lead and relentlessly pass rush. It’s a pretty simple formula and it works. Until they go up against at team like KC that can score 21 points in 3 drives. Then the ball goes into Jimmy G’s hands and you get to see that he’s pretty much the poor man’s Alex Smith. I’d much rather build an explosive offense around an elite QB and have one of those typical Patriots defenses that bends but doesn’t break.

This isn't a cop out bro Andy Reid is vastly underrated as a coach. Reid is one of the few coaches that adapts to the players he has and doesn't try to pound square pegs into round holes. So if you're not picking Pitt or the Pats, KC is right there as well.

With the Miami Dolphins in a total rebuild mode, I just wonder what team you would most like Miami to resemble?

For me, I think it would be the 49ers. Not sure yet on Jimmy G, but he did make it to the super bowl in his first full season as a starter. I think Dan Marino was the last to accomplish that. Anyway, I like their defensive line and how it can take over games. Also, their offensive line is pretty darn good. Due partly to scheme and Kyle Shanahan they can seemingly run the ball successfully without a star runner. They look to be built for the long-term, but that is always hard to forecast in the NFL.

Obviously, I love the Chiefs offense but I'm not kidding myself into thinking Pat Mahomes type quarterbacks grow on trees. I like the physical style Baltimore plays. I'm just not sure how sustainable Lamar Jackson is. He has struggled in the playoffs.

Anyway, I think a good discussion point moving forward.
Offense sells tickets, brings in excitement and gives hope to splash free agents . Defense gives championship dynasties, brings in elite defenders, depth at their position (see offense free agents on steroids) but at depth, and we have a defensive coach we know needs a Tom Brady (as a player, it’s not happening).

New England comes to my mind ….

Everybody wants a dynamic offense and a dominating defense …. but New England seems to have a staff that can draw up different schemes that can at least confuse their opponents and/or shut them down … they can change their plans as the game develops … exploiting matchups … they, of course, have had Brady at QB and that's a huge difference maker … but it's been more than just Brady

I want the Dolphins to do that … like the quote from Bum Phillips back in the day when speaking about Shula … He can takes his'n and beat your'n …. then take your'n and beat his'n

I think the Patriots are the closest thing to that … But, it all starts with the right QB and trickles to the coaching staff IMO

I appreciate a well thought out exercise like this one so I'm not going to bust the OP's chops. But for me, I really think you can't pigeonhole yourself into emulating another team. There's too many ingredients that are inevitably going to differ.

When I read the original question I didn't think in terms of a teams roster, identity, scheme, or even win percentage. I thought about the entire origination and what is it that allows certain ones to be consistently relevant. Previously I mentioned that I was surprised nobody pointed to ownership.

My list would be something like Pats, Steelers, Ravens but would have to also include Packers, Saints, Seahawks and Chiefs.

The common thread seems to be long term stability at QB and coach. I think that points to smart ownership who understand the cyclic nature of business. You don't panic and make wholesale changes. You adapt as the market evolves. You acquire talent and create an environment of trust that allows your talent the freedom and desire to flourish. It isn't basketball where three superstars, that play well together, can win despite the coach and owner.

For example, if Dawn Aponte, Jeff Ireland, and Joe Philbin hate each other.......I don't care how many Dan Marino's, Jason Taylor's and Ricky Williams you have. You might have a team on the field but you don't have a team as a whole.

"Adequate" is too harsh. It's a good/not-great OL that struggled vs SF, but RT held up, at least.

Everybody struggles against that 49er line. They did enough in pass protection and really well in the run game. Solid wins in this league.

Buffalo

jk that one would hedge largely on josh allens development

I love the physicality of the 49ers but I think a great qb masks so many deficiencies. If you think about it, we’ve been attempting to build a similar style team as SF for the last 25 years, it just didn’t work out. With all these extra picks, we should identify a qb and get him. This coaching staff has shown, at least in year one, that they can get the most out of players and we don’t necessarily need pro bowlers at every position in order to be successful.

Back
Top Bottom