What Team Would You Most Like to Resemble? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
With the Miami Dolphins in a total rebuild mode, I just wonder what team you would most like Miami to resemble?

For me, I think it would be the 49ers. Not sure yet on Jimmy G, but he did make it to the super bowl in his first full season as a starter. I think Dan Marino was the last to accomplish that. Anyway, I like their defensive line and how it can take over games. Also, their offensive line is pretty darn good. Due partly to scheme and Kyle Shanahan they can seemingly run the ball successfully without a star runner. They look to be built for the long-term, but that is always hard to forecast in the NFL.

Obviously, I love the Chiefs offense but I'm not kidding myself into thinking Pat Mahomes type quarterbacks grow on trees. I like the physical style Baltimore plays. I'm just not sure how sustainable Lamar Jackson is. He has struggled in the playoffs.

Anyway, I think a good discussion point moving forward.

I would never wanna build my team around something that requires everything to fall perfectly into place & 4 1st rounders on the DL..

Once the 9ers have to start paying folks they will fall back down to being barely average franchise because their qb is barely average. To many variables need to happen for that to work out properly.

Hard to say or choose for sure. Today's NFL is all about the QB and offensive scheme. The golden days were about Defense and Running the football. Mahomes is a rare talent, who's team just bludgeoned opponents via its offensive scheme and ability to put points on the board. If I had to choose, I'd say it be the 49ers model. I love the game management style Garopolo brings. He mixes in a solid passing aptitude with good leadership. IMHO I thought the 49ers lost the Super Bowl due to coaching. They moved off the things that were working in the 1st half allowing the Chiefs a chance to come back. At the same time, Kansas City shut down San Francisco passing game. I'm old school. So I prefer defense and smash mouth football.

I live in western PA and despise the Steelers (Patriots, Bills, jets, Steelers, Cowboys, and 49ers are the bane of my NFL fandom). But the Steelers are almost always in the mix and a team I would love to resemble on a year-in, year-out basis (this is because they are a solid organization in the front office as well, even if they are sometimes too patient with coaches). I would love to resemble the Pats as well with their long-term success. But that would mean doing many things in shady ways and outright cheating in others. I don't want to be that way, no matter how much success we have.

My final option would be the Ravens. It will be interesting to see if they have sustained success with the retirement of Ozzie Newsome after last season (or two seasons ago, depending on how you look at it). I always consider it "this season" until the draft. But that's just my quirkiness at work.

This side of NE, KC has the best-looking window of the last 20 years. Why? A brilliant playcaller/designer, a super-elite QB, an adequate OL, and one of the top offensive skill groups in the league (if not the top). I expect rises and falls in the D, but as long as Reid and Mahomes are running things, they're in excellent shape.

Was listening to Move the Sticks, and Bucky Brooks, who I really like but often disagree with, highlighted how Reid and company developed Mahomes. Essentially, they allowed him to play around and see what works and what doesn't - without worrying about making mistakes - and they tightened his decision making closer to when it was actually time to start. I love that approach. If you remember, P. Manning threw a lot of INT's early in his career ("Playoffs!?"), and a lot of them seemed to be testing what he could and couldn't do in the NFL. By cutting Mahomes loose when it didn't matter (scout team and preseason), it's expediting that process. If your QB isn't super sharp, it won't matter, but it's the best approach I've come across.

Anyway, I'd focus on building a dynamic offense and building and rebuilding the D as I needed. You're going to have to rebuild the D anyway. They don't last.

This side of NE, KC has the best-looking window of the last 20 years. Why? A brilliant playcaller/designer, a super-elite QB, an adequate OL, and one of the top offensive skill groups in the league (if not the top). I expect rises and falls in the D, but as long as Reid and Mahomes are running things, they're in excellent shape.

Was listening to Move the Sticks, and Bucky Brooks, who I really like but often disagree with, highlighted how Reid and company developed Mahomes. Essentially, they allowed him to play around and see what works and what doesn't - without worrying about making mistakes - and they tightened his decision making closer to when it was actually time to start. I love that approach. If you remember, P. Manning threw a lot of INT's early in his career ("Playoffs!?"), and a lot of them seemed to be testing what he could and couldn't do in the NFL. By cutting Mahomes loose when it didn't matter (scout team and preseason), it's expediting that process. If your QB isn't super sharp, it won't matter, but it's the best approach I've come across.

Anyway, I'd focus on building a dynamic offense and building and rebuilding the D as I needed. You're going to have to rebuild the D anyway. They don't last.

"Adequate" is too harsh. It's a good/not-great OL that struggled vs SF, but RT held up, at least.

No doubt a team that can score fast and often and for that you need the QB but you also need play makers.......this is why we should draft a WR from this great class. All this stuff that we're good at WR makes no sense. Give the QB as many weapons as possible and let him get to work.

I admire & despise the Ravens at the same time lol so that would be my pick. I know Lamar has sorta laid a couple eggs in the playoffs but he is going to be a good one for sure ( also I think he's younger than Joe Burrow too ) and has a coach / organization that has full confidence in him. The Ravens are a franchise that I wish the Dolphins would be more like.

Obviously my choice at this time is the Chiefs because they just won the SB. My view of the NFL is that every season you have 1 winner and 31 losers. So I will always want the Dolphins to resemble that 1 winner.

No doubt a team that can score fast and often and for that you need the QB but you also need play makers.......this is why we should draft a WR from this great class. All this stuff that we're good at WR makes no sense. Give the QB as many weapons as possible and let him get to work.
No doubt. Miami has some nice receivers. but no one who is keeping defensive coordinators up at night.

As a defensive first guy that is hard to hear, but I think you are correct. Too many variables to keep enough good players together on defense.

Throughout their run, New England has always managed to keep/develop/draft talent on the defensive line. I see SF doing the same with the understanding that maybe that means the secondary or another position seriously lacks.

Anyway, it's clear that KC struck gold with Mahomes. That offense is unreal and the defense is good enough to make a few plays, but not necessarily dominate.

I would never wanna build my team around something that requires everything to fall perfectly into place & 4 1st rounders on the DL..

Once the 9ers have to start paying folks they will fall back down to being barely average franchise because their qb is barely average. To many variables need to happen for that to work out properly.
Good point. I do think Shanahan is a good coach. though. Although I do question his ability to manage big games. Getting away from the run cost Atlanta the super bowl when he was there.

I think SF left too many plays on the field. Not sure I blame Shanahan there with maybe the exception being the no timeout call before the half.

Back
Top Bottom