What the Alex Smith Deal Means for Miami... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What the Alex Smith Deal Means for Miami...

Dude, you can just google "Do ACL tears heal"

Dude, you can just read the page that you googled.....

TL;DR: ACLs don't heal, but it's possible to rehab a knee to the point where you can play sports again. That's what Tannehill tried. Didn't work out.

Alex Smith to the Redskins is a pretty surprising move. And it's one that could affect the Dolphins. Now with Cousins set to become a free agent do we try to make a run at him? IMO it would be awesome to have him but of course pricey.

Even if we don't sign him I think this still helps us. If a qb needy team drafting ahead of us signs Cousins then that makes one available for us in the draft.

Thoughts?

Without checking, don't most QB-desperate teams with high picks draft. Washington would have likely had to move up to get a R1 QB and, I suspect, they decided Smith's contract was more palatable than the cost of moving up. They, like Miami, have many holes to fill. Cousins future will be interesting. No chance of him being a top QB. Will CLE et al spend big money on a QB with limited potential (I doubt it) or draft a QB seen as having a high upside AND much cheaper? I don't see this as affecting the teams already projected to take a QB top 10. What I think it WILL do is affect the other QBs about to hit FA. On one hand, the price just went up. OTOH, those not signed as a starter will be competing for backup roles - advantage Miami.
BTW, this is one example of why I have no interest in mocks until a couple of weeks before the draft.

Cousins probably winds up in Denver, I'd imagine, which might spit one of the "Big 3" QBs closer to us. What that means for our draft, I have no idea.

We won't sign Cousins, because we have Tannehill. He's not that much of an improvement, and why would we sign him? It'd mean learning a whole new system, growing pains, etc. If we're really hell bent on another QB, we're much better off drafting a new guy, putting him in our system and letting him ride the bench and learn behind Tannehill for a few seasons then ultimately throwing him in there, and going the KC route.

Dumping Tannehill at this point for a chance Cousins is like being married and dumping your wife because the girl you used to have a crush on in high school just got kicked to the curb by her long term beau and suddenly became available...it's stupid and insane and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If we did that, we're a dumber organization than I previously thought.

Imagine being a Redskins fan?
Cousins was the least of their problems. They have no weapons. Do they think Smith will solve their lackluster offense?
yeah, I've been reading their biggest forum.. they are very depressed thinking they traded QBs who were comparable and got one 3 years older and committed to until his late 30s, and giving up a 3rd and Fuller who everyone loved. Says that Andy Reid hosed them again like he did when in Philly with the McNab trade.

This thread is so backwards. Instead of "hey, Cousins may go to a team ahead of us making another QB available for us," it should actually be, "damn, anyone ahead of us that needs a QB might take Cousins instead, leaving one less (non QB) elite prospect for us at 11."

Hopefully it doesn't happen and he's signed by someone after us.

Hey, someone ahead of us might have traded for Alex Smith if this hadn't happened (the bright side).

I think it has more to do with cousins pricing himself out of Washington than anything else. Possible he told them given the tags the last few years he’s not resigning regardless.

Gruden better take a good chunk of Reid’s playbook and play calls with Alex Smith

Jets could be another team on tbe cousins hunt.
on the Skins forum they're bemoaning the fact that Smith won't have the receiving and rushing weapons he had in KC and his play will reflect that accordingly

He’s not gonna have kelce and the tight end he does have who is a stud stays hurt.

Giving up a top 3 young nickel corner is a blow too

Alex does gain a hell of an oline when all hands are on deck.

Move looks highly lateral for the skins. Alex will take care of the ball better but also make less downfield plays

To make this move kc obviously feels good about where mahomes is.

I guess we will see. Be more interesting to see how much the offense design shifts with mahomes. Do they become more vertical

My friends in la la land. He thinks he’s upgraded

Skins fans sure do drink tbe kool aid

Smith was the best down field passer in 2017. he actually took three more deep shot (passes thrown over 21 yards in air) than Cousins.
56-53 and threw 3 more TD passes.
And he threw twice as many passes over 31 yards in air (30-15)

Smith shed that label that he can't go down field this past year. Whether he can do it without Tyreek remains to be seen.

Last edited:
To make this move kc obviously feels good about where mahomes is.

I guess we will see. Be more interesting to see how much the offense design shifts with mahomes. Do they become more vertical

KC was vertical this past year, you are thinking past seasons

Kirk Cousins - QB - Redskins
ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini fully expects New York to be "one of the suitors" for free agent Kirk Cousins.

The Jets have a boat load of cap space -- $73 million and the fourth-most in the league. Their need for a quarterback has been hanging over the team's head seemingly since the Joe Namath days. With Jeremy Bates expected to be promoted to offensive coordinator, that puts another feather in the team's cap to make them more attractive to Cousins. Bates is a disciple of the Mike Shanahan offense, the same offense Cousins was drafted into in Washington and excelled at under the Shanahans and then Jay Gruden-Sean McVay. Cousins spoke glowingly of Bates while at the Super Bowl on Tuesday. The Jets won't be his only suitor, however, and whoever wins the bidding war will have to back up the Brinks truck.

Ozzy rules!!

Cousins has said he wants to win and will take less $$$, that leaves Jets out...whew
Alex Smith is a vg QB, Redskins could do worse, way worse
We need a rook and seasoned vet to replace Moore once he's gone, that is unless Gase sees potential in one we already have...doubt it
Bills are a pretty good target. They need a QB and getting Cousins means they don't need to move up in the draft and can hold on to their #21 and #22 picks. If they get Cousins they could actually make a run at NE or if reaching the playoffs could do some damage in the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom