What To Do With Feely if We Draft Smith? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What To Do With Feely if We Draft Smith?

What To Do With Feely if We Draft Smith?

• Keep him and (try to) groom him as trade fodder for next years draft.

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • Trade him immediately (even during the draft) for a draft pick this year or next year.

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kucha

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm sure that this has been discussed at some level but I haven't seen a post directly dedicated to this possibility. If we do get Smith, should we:

1) Keep Feely and have him compete for the starting job. If he pans out, make him trade bait for next year?

2) Trade Feely immediately, during the draft after seleting Smith. What's he worth if that was a case? I predict a third or fourth rounder next year.

3) Cut his butt and send him packing with Spielman right after the draft.

KuchaMucha said:
I'm sure that this has been discussed at some level but I haven't seen a post directly dedicated to this possibility. If we do get Smith, should we:

1) Keep Feely and have him compete for the starting job. If he pans out, make him trade bait for next year?

2) Trade Feely immediately, during the draft after seleting Smith. What's he worth if that was a case? I predict a third or fourth rounder next year.

3) Cut his butt and send him packing with Spielman right after the draft.
If we end up drafting a QB at any point this year, I think you keep Feeley for as long as you can, and maybe move him by the trading deadline, given that every year, a QB or two goes down and someone overpays for an replacement. Same could be said for Frerotte, for that matter - whoever is the #2 QB could get dealt.

why not cut ferrotte and keep feeley as the bkup, could go either way

Justasportsfan said:
Only Spielman would be willing to do that.

This is a good point...maybe we send Spielman to the Jills and then get our #2 back...What did they get for Bledsoe??

NJFINSFAN1 said:
he would be cut next year
Yeah - if you can't move him this year, cut him next year. I think he's due a huge roster bonus at the end of this year.

I don't see a QB in the draft that can start until 1-2 years...so I would think Saban keeps him for the next two years to let a QB develop...which is basically what Saban stated.

Justasportsfan said:
Only Spielman would be willing to do that.

true...and that's an optimistic projection, imo because he didn't show me much last year. it's possible he may be worth even less next year if he really proves he's as horrible as he played (most of the time) this past year come fall...but that's just my negativity talking.

msg said:
why not cut ferrotte and keep feeley as the bkup, could go either way
If they signed Frerotte because he's more familiar with Linehan's system, and when you factor in the stages of their careers (Frerotte v. Feeley), then it makes more sense that you keep Frerotte for 2-3 years to teach the new kid. And he's cheaper than Feeley, so the economics make more sense. And Feeley as the backup won't really wash with the fans, IMO.

you've got to keep him.

Feeley, Frerotte, Smith.

Smith (or any other rookie QB) rides the pine for a year, Feeley is still the starter.

We'd be lucky to get a bag of footballs and a tackling dummy for Feeley if we traded him right now. No, the only hope would be to play him next year, let the new guy learn from practice and the sidelines, and then hope AJ does enough to get some trade value.

I don't think we are even in the running for a QB. Saban IMO will give Feely a year with the new system and if he doesn't work out there are a raft of UFA's next year including Rohan Davey from New England who Saban really likes.

Ricky comes back and we trade down to pick up DJ, Merriman and or Williamson depending on what picks we acquire on the trade down.

id ship him onw, if we draft a rookie QB i want him starting right away, im not about sitting on the sidelines grooming them... thats a waste of LOTS of first round money... bring in a rookie and start him now, im not about to wait 3 years for a rookie QB to be decent, let him get his growing pains year 1 and be at full potential by year 3...

Feeley isnt worth crap this year. Maybe if he played this season, and did decent- then they can trade him.

But I dont think he will even play much this year since Frerotte will most likely be the starter.

So after this season, he will probably just be cut especially since hes due a bonus after this year.

Back
Top Bottom