What to do with Jake Long? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What to do with Jake Long?

Jake isn't going anywhere. With our cap we take care of our own. We resign Long, Bush, Starks, Hartline and Smith. All those guys are earning their money. Yes maybe jake is having an off year but he deserves the benefit of doubt. We keep building thru the draft.

Give him the 1st round tender and be happy to to get a 1st round round in return when he signs with somebody else.

Let em walk and kick martin to LT. We cant lock up joe thomas type money on him he is breaking down, spend the $ on playmakers.

just what i was going to say because if we cant sign him to decent contract then we still have martin that has played LT all through college and imo it wont be as hard to find a RT as much as it would to get a LT, but as far as signing a FA WR we will still have enough money even if we sign Long and the rest of the FAs we have left to sign.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Yeah we have space but we also have hartline,bush,starks,long, and smith as key free agents. I see us signing 4 of the 5 but will we have enough for a receiver like Bowe?

sure will.

Just can't imagine him taking that kind of money. At his best, he's been elite. Unfortunately, I don't think we've seen that for a while now since he's been banged up (shoulder, knee, etc) in the last couple years. I think at 27 he likely thinks he is or can get back to elite and demand that type of money.

If we want to keep him, we may franchise him one year to see his body comes around, but that rarely seems to happen in the NFL for linemen. No way I sign him long term elite LT money when we have such big needs at play making positions at WR, C, S, and TE.

why do we have big needs at C ? we have one of the best young centers in the league in pouncey , imo our most needs are WR , CB and another pass rusher oppsite of wake , and we could use a little bit of an upgrade at S , but imo its not as bad of a need as the other 3 that i mentioned.

Jonathan Martin's natural position is left tackle...you would only need to draft a good right tackle to replace him.

I don't think you overpay if the guy isn't getting it done...it has to be evaluated. Good teams don't overpay their players, they let them walk.

imo we are going to be in control and not in serious trouble if Long dosent take what we offer, the ball is in our cornor to where we can offer a cotract to where we are not having to throw crazy money at Long and our team is getting better and better each week and there will be alot of players wanting to come and play here, because we have finally gotten a franchise QB, we can negociate with Long without panicing and throwing big money out there just because we dont have another option , because we do and we should be able to get a fair deal done with Long.

Horrible? :rolleyes2: Even when not playing his best he is still an elite LT
He's given up what, at least 4 sacks this year. How about all the penalties he is getting as well this year. He is very far from elite in 2012. He may be elite compared to a Damien McIntosh, or a Wade Smith, but compared to how he is capable of playing, he is playing horrible.

Cant' say he has been horrible, but no way you pay him top LT money. He has been average (maybe slightly above) even going back to last season. I understand he has been playing hurt but that has become part of his problem, he seems to be hurt constantly. I get that some think we owe him for what he has done in the past but this is a what have you done for me lately league. If he is willing to settle on a fair contract fine, if not you have to do whats best for the team. Like others have said we have Martin in the wings and his natural position is LT, no need to pay Long top money.

He deserves top tier money. Re-sign your own. Finding LT's are hard to do. Plus, remember he is playing hurt. He easily could have sat with his numerous injuries, but each and every week he suits up and plays hard.

I would do a deal with him. Tag Smith. Attempt to re-sign Hartline and Starks. Bush I would let play the market.
The problem is he seems to be playing hurt alot. Its obviously admirable, but I suspect he's gonna break down bigtime at some point during his next big contract.

Pay the man, a he might not be top 3 but he is def top 10 in NFL -
he is a great run blocker - and solid Pass blocker -why make a huge hole in the OL --
remember what a bad LT looked like back in 2005 - 2006? do we really want too watch that again??

imo we are going to be in control and not in serious trouble if Long dosent take what we offer, the ball is in our cornor to where we can offer a cotract to where we are not having to throw crazy money at Long and our team is getting better and better each week and there will be alot of players wanting to come and play here, because we have finally gotten a franchise QB, we can negociate with Long without panicing and throwing big money out there just because we dont have another option , because we do and we should be able to get a fair deal done with Long.

I hope so...but the reality of the business is you have to evaluate where Jake is in his career...his health, his level of play etc etc etc.....if his demands are not in line with what he brings to the table we are better off moving on.

I do think that many of you need to realize the scheme of offense we are running now is not exactly a perfect fit for Jake, his value is not as great.

i have a real real real big feeling that hes going to want some big big money!

That's probably the reason they drafted Martin...Use Martin as a bargaining chip saying that he can be moved to LT easily if Long won't accept the Dolphins offer.

If he signs for an average LT deals, fine...If not, let him walk and move Martin to his natural position.

He isnt an average LT why would he sign an average LT contract?

He needs to take a major paycut or I would let him walk. If I was Ireland I would already be starting contract talks with Sean Smith , Reggie Bush and Hartline. I could careless if they keep Long or not. He got paid a lot of money the past few years and has been average at best!

Resign long and draft more talent on offense and defense, don't make another whole on the line

Back
Top Bottom