What to do with Jake Long? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What to do with Jake Long?

He needs to take a major paycut or I would let him walk. If I was Ireland I would already be starting contract talks with Sean Smith , Reggie Bush and Hartline. I could careless if they keep Long or not. He got paid a lot of money the past few years and has been average at best!

Yes but be careful with Reggie as he is already on the limp again - I would secure Jake if the salary is reasonable, but Reggie love him to bits but he can't stay healthy

Smith is a must with VDs trade, and hopefully may have figured out a few things, and he stays healthy because he keeps his jersey clean

You would think JL would be reasonable. This franchise took a lot of heat for taking him over MR. He got paid for 1st round pick money before the restructure of draft picks. 100 million he has made from the Fins. Wealth for generations, throw us a bone Jake.

Lot of football left to be played...........giving Long the benefit of the doubt, his

status should be a lot clearer down the road

Why would we let him walk when we could have traded him for at least a second round pick? I don't think even Ireland is that dumb.

I think Vontae proves this point. You don't let Long just walk, period. Not when you could/should get something for him. Ireland has no problem trading and stock piling picks. If Long wasn't in the long term plans for this franchise, he would be else where like Davis/Marshall are today.

How it is that the Jets can have 3 linebackers with +$40 mill deals, give their corner a new contract every year, sign their offensive lineman to a top deal, and give their quarterback a raise(Ha!) and have room for cap, but Miami Dolphins fans are sweating whether one of the best players on our team should be resigned?

Whether or not teams can win the Superbowl with a top ranked left tackle is irrelevant. He is one of the best players on our team and in the league for his position and should be paid accordingly. Im willing to bet that teams such as the Steelers, Packers, or Giants wouldnt turn down a top ranked left tackle. The fact of the matter is, individual players do get paid a chunk of their teams total salary. That money usually goes to quarterbacks or pass rushers. Thing is, we dont need to worry about dropping big money for our quarterback for another 2-3 years. Why not resign Long now and worry about his contract 3 years from now?

Another thing people have to remember: we are going to have to spend our cap money. The CBA is going to force us to spend upwards of 90% of our cap(cant remember the exact percentage and what year it increases). Regardless, before Tannehills next contract we will be forced to spend the vast majority of our cap. With all of that in mind, i have no doubt we can resign the majority of our players and still have enough for a stud signing.

If the Jests werent a good enough example, how about Tampa just this past offseason? They have some top paid contracts(including left tackle) and still went out and signed 2 players to huge contracts. If our front office cant figure this all out in the offseason, we have bigger problems then resigning our left tackle.

why do we have big needs at C ? we have one of the best young centers in the league in pouncey , imo our most needs are WR , CB and another pass rusher oppsite of wake , and we could use a little bit of an upgrade at S , but imo its not as bad of a need as the other 3 that i mentioned.
My bad...meant corner...not Center. Agree Pouncey certainly needs no replacement.

Try and give him a decent deal that is affordable, but not insulting. He has to understand that he is injured all of the time and isn't as durable as years ago. If he refuses, Tag+Trade him for a first rounder. Martin can be moved to LT and we can use one of our two first round picks to fill the hole. I would rather use the money to surround Tannehill with more weapons. We need a seam threat TE.

I think this conversation will go down to the wire, if he plays 16 games this year and returns to the form of a couple of years ago, then he's probably gonna get the contract he wants. If he misses games again this year then I can see the club letting him walk. Sitting between the two options by tagging him is probably the favourite right now. I personally would probably let him walk unless he starts to improve his play to what should be expected of a #1 draft choice just entering his prime.

How's C more of a play making position than a LT? Also, pretty sure that's one of the few positions on the team that I wouldn't worry about, Pouncey's been very solid
i think he meant CB

If he finishes the year, I say we re-sign him. Worst case scenario, tag him.
Our Oline is a strength now and one of the best units in the league.
Martin is developing beautifully at RT.

We have a great thing going here. Let's not shoot ourselves in the foot.

Try and give him a decent deal that is affordable, but not insulting. He has to understand that he is injured all of the time and isn't as durable as years ago. If he refuses, Tag+Trade him for a first rounder. Martin can be moved to LT and we can use one of our two first round picks to fill the hole. I would rather use the money to surround Tannehill with more weapons. We need a seam threat TE.

You're never getting a 1st for Long in that position. You never tag expecting a trade. You certainly are open to it, but you don't do it NOT expecting him to be on your team otherwise if you have already put into motion the "replacement plan" into place other teams will realize this and you have a game of chess for value vs perceived value.

"Why offer a 1st when the team wants to dump his salary and just get value? Offer a 3rd. They'll bite!" - That's the mentality every single team interested in Jake Long (which, we are not sure is a very strong market, by the way)

A friend brought up a good point recently when discussing Jake Long. If Ireland is still around, he thinks he keeps Jake Long, simply because it'd be impossible to cut the player they drafted over Matt Ryan. You have to keep some semblance of delusion that Long is still playing at an elite level and pay him as such.

If Jake would take a re-up on his current deal, I'd probably do it. Even then it's a bit much, but why mess with what appears to be a great thing.

he brings more to the team than just production, he's a leader and the younger guys look up to him. we need some senior players on the roster and its hardly like he's a shadow of the player he was.

Back
Top Bottom