What to do with pick number 3 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What to do with pick number 3

Now that Jakeem Grant is rumored to be cut, I think the Smith pick becomes more obvious. My preference is Smith (at 3 or with a trade down), then if one of the other 3 playmakers can be obtained at 18 or sooner, draft one of them otherwise Harris or Etienne. Get LB, C, OT/G and Outside rusher with other picks. Drafting Sewell at 3 would be a huge disappointment to me, as we have spent several top picks last 2 drafts on OL and should let those play themselves out, some haven't even had a full offseason or preseason to be able to use the facilities yet.
What does Grant have to do with Smith?

They have zero in common.

I wanted Smith but he doesn't seem very mature. At this point I'm thinking it's gotta be Sewell, Chase or Parsons if we stay at 3.

I can't see us drafting Pitts even though I know a few on this board want that to be the case.

My list: (assuming #3 is not traded for Watson, which I'm only for if it's a low bargain price)

1. Trade down to tweens or teens, for a haul of extra picks, this year or future. If for example, it's SF at 12, I think there's a pretty good chance one of Chase, Pitts Smith, Waddle, or Parsons is still there. Otherwise Slater, AVT/USC, or top edge rusher.

2. Trade down a few slots staying in top 8. Take top 3 wr or Pitts.

3. Trade down to late teens or twenties for a haul and a half. If not addressed in FA, take Harris and Bateman/Toney/Marshall, with 18 and the trade pick.

4. Take Chase. ( This was Smith a month ago, and in my mind might switch back. Tough call)

5. Take Sewell.

Yes the 4th is Pitts.

I don't get paid to make the decisions, but I know if I'm Chris Grier, the priority is to get one of those 4 guys, even more than picking up additional value. Both would be ideal . . . but you can't sell me on "well we added a 2022 first even though we missed the 4 top guys in the process". You make a trade out you better make damn sure you add one of those elite guys somehow someway and not be mislead by mock drafts thinking you can easily do both.

Again I'd feel just fine taking Smith at 3 as well. He's the best player in the draft for my money so getting him 2 spots after the top pick works for me.
When you have a chance at truly rare prospects...you don’t trade down.

Pitts is the clearest example of a Freak catching the football, there is no way I would pass on him!

Most of the mock drafts I see do not have us trading down. I wonder if that is because they do not think we will or do not think we can?

Most of the mock drafts I see do not have us trading down. I wonder if that is because they do not think we will or do not think we can?
Many mocks don't do trades because there is almost no actual basis for that level of specificity.

What Mach said...

Most people assume that we'll be trading down, but forecasting who and for how much is a fool's game. So they just do by the numbers drafts... usually, no one trades at all.

Chase Young is a beast, so maybe there!1 st this yr and Chase . Done deal

We don't have a single truly special player on our first two lines (I'd say front 7, but that's outmoded). We are... solid... and scheme driven. Adding a Chase Young would make everyone better. If he became available... I'm listening... closely.

When you have a chance at truly rare prospects...you don’t trade down.

Pitts is the clearest example of a Freak catching the football, there is no way I would pass on him!
I’m all about pitts @ 1a and Harris @ 1b. Go for the stars if it doesn’t work out at least we tried.

Back
Top Bottom