What to do with the extra money/All this room, yet no news | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What to do with the extra money/All this room, yet no news

EddieIrvine13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
What to do with the extra money...

OK, everyone is thrwoing out a name... well, if we sign players to the veteran minimum, that is only a 450K hit. We will probably have $2 million to spend after signing the rookies if Williams contract only has a $1 million cap hit this year. We can get a few players with the vet min.... they will come here for a ring and no sales tax... and who wouldnt want to play football in miami!
Anyone know how much Sam Adams or Levon Kirkland want?
It would be great if we could get Freeman and Greer to sign for the veteran minimum and then we still might have enough money to nail Sam Adams or Levon Kirkland.
Maybe get another QB in.
Too bad we werent fast enough to get Marco Coleman.
And too bad we also let Darnay Scott go to the Jaguars.
Or do you think we should just get a couple more guys at the vet min. and save the rest for PT cuts?

We could have used $450,000 to sign Darney Scott. He just signed with the Jags for league minimum.

Oh...by the way.

We can't sign Kirkland. He signed for league minimum with the Eagles.

Damn... if we had only been faster to sign players.... players we could have gotten as a package and their cap hit:
DE We would have saved money by taking Marco Coleman instead of Jay Williams. 850K vs. ?
WR Darnay Scott (league minimum) 450K
LB Levon Kirkland (league minimum) 450K
CB Greer (league minimum) 450K
DT Sam Adams (about 850K hit?)

That would have all fit under the belt if we released DG sooner and nabbed these guys instead of getting Jay Williams.

All this room, yet no news

Miami just cleared all this cap room, yet there has been no news of them entertaining a FA, or signing any draft picks. Do you think there was intent to clearing up 3 mill or are they just cheap? I really want to see Adams come here, but I wouldn't mind Freeman either. At the very least they should resign RW so he won't be cautious this season before he gets big money. You would think if they are going to do something it will come in the next 2 days has anyone heard anything?

I dont know how I'd feel about Freeman. He's not really known for being a team player and it seems the coaches are basically on a leadership/goodguy kick in terms of locker room personalities. It would really be one thing if Freeman could outweigh his crap with production but at this stage he really can't. Besides he was raised in the West Coast Offense and Norv's system is definitely not West Coast style at all. Freeman would be learning a bunch of routes he's never even run before as a pro.

Sam Adams is a pipe dream. But on the downside of even an Adams signing, it likely would p!ss Larry Chester off a lot. You can replace a guy thats already on your roster, or sign a guy to compete with him. He might get p!ssed but its a business. What you shouldn't do though is sign a guy and tell him he's going to start and then replace him before he even gets a chance to flash his wares. The reason is, the guy might not have signed with you had he known that the starting job was not being handed to him. Much like Darnay signed with the Jags because they basically told him the #2 job is his to lose...we told Larry Chester that on run downs you're our starting DT. Now we sign another run stuffing pro bowl DT without even letting Chester throw on some pads and give it a whirl? I guess we could TRY to claim his injury as an excuse to make us nervous but still...he would NOT be happy with us and by all accounts he'll be here for a while.

But honestly, I wish we'd sign Adams. :)

By the way I was gonna make a thread about this issue too but I was gonna put in a poll with some free agents saying who should we sign...

But I can't get an up to date account of who is still on the market. I thought KFFL's list was pretty up to date but then I noticed a bunch of guys on there that I KNOW signed, and signed a while ago

We're approximately $2.4 million under the salary cap not counting our rookie pool (which means we really do have $2.4 mil to burn on free agents) and I'm guessing that with the new deal for Jay Williams, we're probably now a full $3 million under. It wouldn't make sense to use that to negotiate a new contract for Ricky unless somehow the gesture of faith NOW will lower his contract numbers in the future (most especially 2003 and 2004).

We could use it to buy beer and strippers.

Now we sign another run stuffing pro bowl DT without even letting Chester throw on some pads and give it a whirl?

You said it all right there, a pro bowl DT!

Bowens can only handle 60-70% of the D's downs. Chester is returning from a major injury that we have yet to see how much of a load he can take on. DG was going to come in for around 30% of the snaps at DT. The reaoon i say this is with Adams or not there will be plenty of playing time for the top 3 DTs. We could even rotate them often just to keep them fresh, and avoid injury. That being said I don't really care about Chesters fealings. Put all 3 in there durring the preseason and see who wants it more, the competition may help all of them play at a higher level.

Originally posted by EddieIrvine13
Damn... if we had only been faster to sign players.... players we could have gotten as a package and their cap hit:
DE We would have saved money by taking Marco Coleman instead of Jay Williams. 850K vs. ?
WR Darnay Scott (league minimum) 450K
LB Levon Kirkland (league minimum) 450K
CB Greer (league minimum) 450K
DT Sam Adams (about 850K hit?)

That would have all fit under the belt if we released DG sooner and nabbed these guys instead of getting Jay Williams.

From what I have read about Sam Adams it doesn't seem he will attend a camp for less than 2mill.

Yeah if he doesnt get what he wants he's just gonna take the season off and manage his semi-pro team out of Seattle.

We have enough to jump in the race for Sam Adams honestly but I believe he wants a west coast team, closer to home. Then again a 1 yr contract wouldn't discourage him from heading back to the East because then he could play out his time and wait for the big payday at the beginning of free agency next year. In the meantime we could do whatever it takes to impress him with the So.Fla scene, the coaching staff, facilities, lack of state taxes etc, in order to entice him to go longer term with the Dolphins so that we could make Tim Bowens expendable.

DG was not going to play 30% of the snaps at DT. He was going to play in some passrush situations but the Phins were pretty much going to leave him at end most of the time and hope he develops some passrush skills at end. His back wouldn't hold up playing DE 70% of the time and DT 30% of the time and the Phins knew that.

Bowens could PROBABLY handle as many downs as you want to give him thats not the problem. The problem is you just don't want him there on passrush downs because...whats the point? He's not going to get penetration. But its the same with Sam Adams. He's not going to get penetration either. Will Larry Chester? Nope. Is Jermaine Haley a penetation type of DT? Nope. Ernest Grant even? Nope.

A glut of run stuffers is what we'd have and its kind of a misallocation because we'd be terribly over-equipped on run downs at DT, and terribly under-equipped on pass downs at DT (we're currently under-equipped, its just that an Adams signing wouldn't help that situation at all).

Currently the plan for pass downs I believe is a line that includes David Bowens, Rob Burnett and Jay Williams at DT, and Jason Taylor.

And honestly you really have to care about what Larry Chester thinks. We didn't just sign the guy for a year. We signed him long term. Signing a guy promising him the start and then replacing him before he even gets to throw on some pads is not the way to build a reputation in free agency in this league. It would damage our credibility with other free agents as well as make Chester himself angry...and considering we have him signed longterm and a Sam Adams signing would be for just a year...thats not a good thing. Not a good way to coach.

Still its very tempting. If only we could find an excuse for it.

In light of some recent articles about Jay Williams...it makes sense why we traded for this guy to replace Daryl Gardener. His specialty is holding up at the point of attack against the run at defensive end Kenny Mixon style, and his specialty is also passrushing from DT.

Both of which Daryl Gardener was slated to do.

Back
Top Bottom