What to do with X? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What to do with X?

So, I will agree that the Dolphins cannot let X hold them hostage. Hope, it does not get to that point, because they will move on for sure. You say he signed a contract and should play it out. How many teams honor the whole contract for players? Come on man. Teams cut players all the time long before their contracts are up. He is a big part of the defense. We all know they started clicking when Jones got healthy and they had two corners that could play man. The D flowed from them. This is a tough situation. I say the Dolphins should come up with a number. If X says no, then they should trade him. I'm more worried about aging and injuries.
If he plays like last year i'm ok with the money, top 3 money (like it's mine but we have needs). Do I think he'll maintain, doubt it but if he does give him the fruits of his labor but through incentives

If you look at griers drafts which he now admits per mando were his from 2016 x is by far the best pick still on the roster and folks want to trade him for more draft picks... for what more average and propped up by scheme players? Cause you got a lot of that

grier keeps pulling the wool over folks eyes.

will anything ever show up and be elite under this guys watch? Ever?

I'd like to see the team sit down with X and have a reasonable discussion about his contract. Move some money up so that he's paid a bit more now and add a year with new money in the form of a signing bonus. Remind him you want to be able to add pieces so he can be a champ.

I'd like to have a guy like JJ Watt in the building at the same time as X. Talk to JJ about a short term contract and the players around him. It doesn't have to be Watt, maybe Von Miller or someone that reminds him of what they can become.

My point is, he is an elite CB and deserves to be paid like one. He's already been paid all of the guaranteed money in his deal if you include the upcoming season. He's also collected $12M for missing a year.

https://overthecap.com/player/xavien-howard/4751/

Here are his contract details, what would you do?
Why don't we get the pesky police interview about the shooting into his agent's house that he keeps dodging like he has something to do with it first? MMMMkay?

We can then go straight into how he can go die in a fire if he doesn't like his current contract that he just got. We didn't dock him pay when he was repeatedly injured in the prior year (he's played a full season what one maybe two times????), so we aren't going to increase his pay because he's finally able to string a full season together and play up to his contract. This whole the pay elevator only goes one direction thing is absolute lunacy, He has a contract. So he can honor that contract and still make a literal butt ton of money or he can threaten to sit out and he can lose money. His choice.

I have zero problem with players in the NFL wanting a new deal with time left. This is the only major sport that doesn't have guaranteed contracts and the 2nd one of these guys have a bad year, they are asked to take a pay cut or get released and lose money. Go and try to get your money X as you balled out, we can easily restructure his contract to kick a few more guaranteed dollars his way to make him happy.

We still have a ton of room for improve on the talent of our roster, I would prefer to keep adding to it instead of kicking the can down the road trying to get future prospects. We are entering our window to win now if we do this draft and free agency correctly.

If you look at griers drafts which he now admits per mando were his from 2016 x is by far the best pick still on the roster and folks want to trade him for more draft picks... for what more average and propped up by scheme players? Cause you got a lot of that

grier keeps pulling the wool over folks eyes.

will anything ever show up and be elite under this guys watch? Ever?
Weren't you a big advocate of Tua? Won't he be 'elite'?

I have zero problem with players in the NFL wanting a new deal with time left. This is the only major sport that doesn't have guaranteed contracts and the 2nd one of these guys have a bad year, they are asked to take a pay cut or get released and lose money. Go and try to get your money X as you balled out, we can easily restructure his contract to kick a few more guaranteed dollars his way to make him happy.

We still have a ton of room for improve on the talent of our roster, I would prefer to keep adding to it instead of kicking the can down the road trying to get future prospects. We are entering our window to win now if we do this draft and free agency correctly.
Oh the poor NFL athletes. However do they survive? He's only making an average of $15mm. You're right. Let's compromise our FA ability to get him more money so he doesn't feel ignored. ROFL.

So, I will agree that the Dolphins cannot let X hold them hostage. Hope, it does not get to that point, because they will move on for sure. You say he signed a contract and should play it out. How many teams honor the whole contract for players? Come on man. Teams cut players all the time long before their contracts are up. He is a big part of the defense. We all know they started clicking when Jones got healthy and they had two corners that could play man. The D flowed from them. This is a tough situation. I say the Dolphins should come up with a number. If X says no, then they should trade him. I'm more worried about aging and injuries.
They all honor the contracts. Those contracts are all very specifically worded by lawyers on both sides of the negotiations. There are clauses, and penalties that are precicely spelled out. If a team was ever in breach of contract, not only would the player's agent, and his attourneys file a lawsuit, the NFLPA lawyers would also be on it like stink on ****.

This rhetoric about teams not honoring contracts is from ppl who do nut understand corporate contracts at best, or ppl that are disingenuous at worst.

Hell, even the media analyses the true meaning of the agreements v the headline numbers.

Let's not pretend this is something it isn't.

But the difference is terminology in the contract allowing teams to cut, get out, etc is transparent and known to parties when they sign. Teams can't just cut a guy without following the terms of the contract and many times still are on the hook for payment when they do so that's why many choose the large signing bonus upfront. Agents spell this out to clients so it should never be a surprise. Teams cant take back money on a injury laden year or if performance wasn't as it was in a prior year. X is doing what teams can't, period.

I am not against a restructure that includes incentives but to give him say top 3 money...that would be another 6-7 million a year and at his age and knee history it's a problem in my opinion. Let him make it but anything near a redo of 6+ a year needs to have some incentives built in. IMO I don't think he wants another 3-4, he wants to be paid top 3 which is between 18-21.We could help the team with that 6-7 per year and the odds of him duplicating last year is probably not that great. In sum, pay the man but not in the way he want's it after all all he did sign on the dotted line in a down year.
It might not be spelled out in the contract but considering X's guaranteed money runs out after this season, its pretty obvious he'd be looking to renegotiate now - especially after having such a good year.

Teams rarely honour contracts, unless its a year-long prove it. Fans are happy to cut players who go out and play hard. If X got a serious injury next season, people would be calling him to be cut. I can't blame a player for looking to make as much money as they can. @GeauxFins2020 absolutely hit the nail on the head.

What is up with all these players complaining about there contracts and wanting to be in on all the management decisions ect.. Heads up
your still an employee remember! X has no room to complain about anything contract wise. They complain when they have a good season but, you want here them during an average season. I, would see his trade value and be pre paired to move own from him if a trade warrants it. He should have had a better agent when he did his last contract !! Mariota and a 1rst round pick from the Raiders sounds like a start. He would be a good backup for Tua. Use that 1rst for possibly his replacement if Noah is not ready.

I'd like to see the team sit down with X and have a reasonable discussion about his contract. Move some money up so that he's paid a bit more now and add a year with new money in the form of a signing bonus. Remind him you want to be able to add pieces so he can be a champ.

I'd like to have a guy like JJ Watt in the building at the same time as X. Talk to JJ about a short term contract and the players around him. It doesn't have to be Watt, maybe Von Miller or someone that reminds him of what they can become.

My point is, he is an elite CB and deserves to be paid like one. He's already been paid all of the guaranteed money in his deal if you include the upcoming season. He's also collected $12M for missing a year.

https://overthecap.com/player/xavien-howard/4751/

Here are his contract details, what would you do?
I happen to be one of those guys who believe if you sign a contract, you play under that contract. The Dolphins didn’t go to Howard and request he play for less money in 2020 because he missed most of the 2019 season because of injury. They simply paid him in 2019 while he recovered from his injury based on the salary he was entitled to under his contract.

Obviously players demanding to restructure their contract after having an excellent season is now common practice. So I don’t condemn Howard for wanting more but I also won’t be upset if the Dolphins refuse to give in to his demands. .

Hopefully the two sides will work it out but if they can’t and it means Howard is traded, so be it. As far as signing Watt is concerned, I don’t see that happening. He will likely be asking for more money than the Dolphins are willing to pay for a player who is on the downside of his career. Especially when the Dolphins still have a number of holes on their roster to fill with their limited cap resources.

It might not be spelled out in the contract but considering X's guaranteed money runs out after this season, its pretty obvious he'd be looking to renegotiate now - especially after having such a good year.

Teams rarely honour contracts, unless its a year-long prove it. Fans are happy to cut players who go out and play hard. If X got a serious injury next season, people would be calling him to be cut. I can't blame a player for looking to make as much money as they can. @GeauxFins2020 absolutely hit the nail on the head.
Again with "teams don't honor contracts"?

That just isn't true. They aren't gauranteed, but that is known up front, and the contracts are structured with that in mind.

If they were found to be in breach, there would ne lawsuits, or arbitration.

The specifics of NFL contracts have been negotiated, and agreed to by both the owners, and player's union.

man, it's like we don't know how to handle having an all pro player. This happens all the time in the league and players rarely getting traded for asking for more cash. I really don't see what the big deal is kicking him a few more dollars to make him happy. We can structure it in a way to have minimal impact on the cap.

Again with "teams don't honor contracts"?

That just isn't true. They aren't gauranteed, but that is known up front, and the contracts are structured with that in mind.

If they were found to be in breach, there would ne lawsuits, or arbitration.

The specifics of NFL contracts have been negotiated, and agreed to by both the owners, and player's union.
I definitely get your point, but the flip side is that teams are fully aware holding out is a thing. So while the team cutting someone early isn’t a breach and holding out is a breach, in reality it has the same effect. Both parties can do it if they want and decide it’s in their best interest.

Back
Top Bottom