What to do with X? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What to do with X?

It took elandon roberts agent to tell us that he tore an acl even though most of us thought he did clutching it like that

Not that I was ever gonna plan on that as a plan a going forward

I don’t see how scar tissue would keep you out of early camp. Clean up jobs don’t usually take that long.

remember they weened x in in camp. Think it was something more significant than that.

At any rate the guy bounces back from surgery at a clip few can match.

Didn't X appear in court on crutches....he looked more than just a clean up.

Didn't X appear in court on crutches....he looked more than just a clean up.

yeah but I don’t know how long after the procedure that was. You’d be on crutches for a few days at least even on a clean up Id say

If you look at griers drafts which he now admits per mando were his from 2016 x is by far the best pick still on the roster and folks want to trade him for more draft picks... for what more average and propped up by scheme players? Cause you got a lot of that

grier keeps pulling the wool over folks eyes.

will anything ever show up and be elite under this guys watch? Ever?

Drafting Sewell will do that for him.

Nothing you said is incorrect, but the counter is that teams are fully aware holding out is a thing. So while it’s technically a breach of contract to hold out and it’s not to cut someone early, effectively it really doesn’t matter in terms of the legalese. All the parties know the landscape.
I fully understand that it has become common practice for some players who feel they have out performed their contract to threaten to hold out if their contract is not updated. Yet even in this scenario, the team holds most of the cards. They can either agree to restructure the contract, trade the player or let him sit out while not paying him.

The Dolphins haven’t been in a situation in a long time in which a player has threatened to sit out unless
his contract is restructured. So it should be interesting to see how this situation resolves itself if Howard does decide to demand to a new contract before he reports to camp next season.

Trade him. 2 firsts and a 2nd.
Howard will be 28 years old next season and as well as he played last year, he has only had 2 outstanding seasons in 5 years in the league. The other 3 years were either average or he was injured.

If the Dolphins were to trade him, they might get one first round pick for him but there is no way they would get 2 firsts and a second. With his injury history, I just don’t see any team giving up that many high draft picks for Howard.

Howard will be 28 years old next season and as well as he played last year, he has only had 2 outstanding seasons in 5 years in the league. The other 3 years were either average or he was injured.

If the Dolphins were to trade him, they might get one first round pick for him but there is no way they would get 2 firsts and a second. With his injury history, I just don’t see any team giving up that many high draft picks for Howard.
Where is Bill OBrien when you need him?

The point is that when ppl say teams don't honor contracts, that is incorrect. Therefore that arguement is a strawman.

If you find the system unfair, that's a different matter. Even there, the NFLPA agreed to it, and they got concessions from the owners for doing so.
Yah no disagreements, I’m kind of splitting hairs, my only point is neither holding out or cutting someone early should be seen as morally wrong or anything like that.

when most your ints come on pre to post snap primary’s they aren’t throwing away from someone else
I mean he only had 2 INTs kind of hard to conclude anything based on that. I haven’t seen the numbers, but it certainly felt like Jones was not targeted often.

I fully understand that it has become common practice for some players who feel they have out performed their contract to threaten to hold out if their contract is not updated. Yet even in this scenario, the team holds most of the cards. They can either agree to restructure the contract, trade the player or let him sit out while not paying him.

The Dolphins haven’t been in a situation in a long time in which a player has threatened to sit out unless
his contract is restructured. So it should be interesting to see how this situation resolves itself if Howard does decide to demand to a new contract before he reports to camp next season.
Agreed, team typically is in the better position but if the player is good enough and also financially comfortable it can even the stakes.

I mean he only had 2 INTs kind of hard to conclude anything based on that. I haven’t seen the numbers, but it certainly felt like Jones was not targeted often.

im not talking about jones. X ints came mostly off primary’s which means they weren’t bypassing byron to go after x on them

Any player in any sport, who puts money over the current covid environment, isn't worth the drama, it causes. Howard should know better. Everyone is suffering financially all over the globe. To put the team and quite possibly teammates in his crosshairs is absolutely selfish. He was paid $12m for taking a year off due to lingering affects of surgery. How quickly he's forgotten the support he got.

It wouldn't surprise me if his selfish attitude and me first persona, gets him traded. JMO.

I have no idea why you state, “fans are happy to cut players who go out and play hard”. I wasn’t aware any fans cut players. I always thought it was the organization that was responsible for cutting players.

As far as the teams not honoring contracts is concerned. The players and the owners have a CBA which
states that the only money a player is entitled too under a contract is the guaranteed money in the players contract. Any other money in the contract is only paid if the player remains on the team or meets certain goals during a season.

So saying a team doesn’t honor a player contract is not correct. If the players aren’t happy with the way contracts work in the NFL, they need to change the terms of the contracts when they sign their next CBA
with the owners. The reality is the player and each organization know the terms of the CBA when they enter into a contract and that is why players try to get as much guaranteed money as possible when they sign their contract. They are all fully aware that any money in their contract beyond
the guaranteed money will only be paid if they remain a player in the NFL.

Therefore every team does honor the terms of every player contract based on the the terms of the CBA,
Ugh, dear Lord - sorry I was overly vague. Fans are happy to see players get cut who go out and play hard. Is that better? See, for example, the recent posts on cutting Bobby McCain.

If a player is cut, the contract isn't honoured. If its a contract for 3 years and they're cut after 2, its not honoured. I don't really get how you're arguing about that. The teams dont want fully guaranteed contracts for the players, this is pretty much inevitable under that system - and I doubt anyone at the organisation is overly upset about Howard asking for more money.

Agreed, team typically is in the better position but if the player is good enough and also financially comfortable it can even the stakes.
Owners are rich and they will remain rich even if players play or not. While players certainly make an excellent salary while playing, those salaries are greatly reduced one their playing days are over. While some players are fortunate enough to establish careers after football which provides them with continued financial security. The reality is that most players have financial issues after retiring.

Most young players don’t have the fiscal responsibility to invest their money wisely. They live a lavish lifestyle while they are making millions of dollars and when those million dollar salaries end, many players end up bankrupt or unable to afford the lifestyle they had while playing in the NFL.

Obviously I have no idea if Howard has already taken steps to ensure his financial future once his career is over but I also doubt he would want to give up a years salary by sitting out the season if the Dolphins refuse to restructure his contract.

Back
Top Bottom