What to do with X? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What to do with X?

Dynastybuilder

Club Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see the team sit down with X and have a reasonable discussion about his contract. Move some money up so that he's paid a bit more now and add a year with new money in the form of a signing bonus. Remind him you want to be able to add pieces so he can be a champ.

I'd like to have a guy like JJ Watt in the building at the same time as X. Talk to JJ about a short term contract and the players around him. It doesn't have to be Watt, maybe Von Miller or someone that reminds him of what they can become.

My point is, he is an elite CB and deserves to be paid like one. He's already been paid all of the guaranteed money in his deal if you include the upcoming season. He's also collected $12M for missing a year.

https://overthecap.com/player/xavien-howard/4751/

Here are his contract details, what would you do?

At this stage of his career he shouldn't need a pep talk from a veteran .... he signed a contract and he should play it out ... if he is disgruntled over money (you know, the same money he eagerly signed up for) then he can pound sand

If his attitude (ego, pride... whatever) is higher pay or no play then trade his a$$ to the highest bidder and move on

Coddling players over money is not in play for me unless a player has CLEARLY out-performed his contract ... I'm no expert here but to me it would mean lesser corners are getting new deals for much more money. If the average CB is being paid a million dollars a year and X is making 500K then I could see a case being made (of course that is an example to put my attitude in perspective... don't pounce cap nerds)

There are probably a few reasons to restructure a contract but if the player wants to be the highest paid at whatever position (which could change every year or so) then I'm out.

For me to even consider coddling a player over money and his pride the player would have to be the reason my team is what it is (in a good way) .... the catalyst ... the nucleus ... irreplaceable etc.

In this sport he is merely one wheel that helps me go... a nice wheel wheel with cool rims but he's only one ... and he is not THE difference maker on our defense .... seems to me he should have not signed a new deal and tested free agency and he's having buyers remorse ... but like my example hindsight is 20/20 ... tough $hit

If he had been clamoring for a pay cut after his injury year I would understand him want a pay increase after a good season

he’s on a fair contract afterglow good season

let’s see him finish 2 in a row than will see

I have zero respect for a player that wants a new contract after one year. If I'm not mistaken, he is in the top 5 for his position. He should be happy, especially this year when the cap is down.

I will say the Dolphins made a huge mistake when they gave Jones more money though. Im sure that X is upset that he isn't the highest paid defender on the team, and maybe he feels like his dissatisfaction is warranted. But the team made a huge commitment to him and he needs to reciprocate. Besides, Jones won't be here much longer with that contract and play anyways.

If he holds out, put him on the trading block asap and send him off to a crappy franchise.

I disagree about players wanting to renegotiate or honoring their deal...you don't respect players because they signed a contract? The team signs it too.

It's a double standard by fans--and it's ignorant. Take Bobby McCain, for one. There is serious talk about cutting him--to save his salary. He's never complained, been in trouble, embarrassed the franchise. But I've never read fans say, "this is BS move by the team because they offered him a contract and should honor it."

Same for Albert Wilson.

Players careers are short. They have ten years or so (usually much less) to maximize their earning potential. And they are putting their lives and health on the line!

The Dolphins are going to be here long after we are all gone.

If Xavier and his financial advisors think he can get more money, they are within their right to try. The team can respond or not. Then Xavien can play or not.

It's just business.

I’d love to have the Raiders first this year and next for X but I’d rather pay the man if a reasonable deal can be reached. Given his injury history I’m not in the mood to put up with too much crap from him and his agent though. If he would not have missed so many games he would have got a better contract.

I disagree about players wanting to renegotiate or honoring their deal...you don't respect players because they signed a contract? The team signs it too.

It's a double standard by fans--and it's ignorant. Take Bobby McCain, for one. There is serious talk about cutting him--to save his salary. He's never complained, been in trouble, embarrassed the franchise. But I've never read fans say, "this is BS move by the team because they offered him a contract and should honor it."

Same for Albert Wilson.

Players careers are short. They have ten years or so (usually much less) to maximize their earning potential. And they are putting their lives and health on the line!

The Dolphins are going to be here long after we are all gone.

If Xavier and his financial advisors think he can get more money, they are within their right to try. The team can respond or not. Then Xavien can play or not.

It's just business.
But the difference is terminology in the contract allowing teams to cut, get out, etc is transparent and known to parties when they sign. Teams can't just cut a guy without following the terms of the contract and many times still are on the hook for payment when they do so that's why many choose the large signing bonus upfront. Agents spell this out to clients so it should never be a surprise. Teams cant take back money on a injury laden year or if performance wasn't as it was in a prior year. X is doing what teams can't, period.

I am not against a restructure that includes incentives but to give him say top 3 money...that would be another 6-7 million a year and at his age and knee history it's a problem in my opinion. Let him make it but anything near a redo of 6+ a year needs to have some incentives built in. IMO I don't think he wants another 3-4, he wants to be paid top 3 which is between 18-21.We could help the team with that 6-7 per year and the odds of him duplicating last year is probably not that great. In sum, pay the man but not in the way he want's it after all all he did sign on the dotted line in a down year.

There are ways to look at it from both sides. Of course he can want and he can ask for more money. It doesn't mean the team has to give it to him. On the one hand he had a good year. On the other hand he's not grossly underpaid. It just happens that we paid more to Jones to get him on the team. As far as I know Howard hasn't asked for anything yet so we'll see what happens. I'm pretty sure they can work something out but when you start doing this then every player will want to do the same thing if they have a good year so you have to be careful how you do it.

He signed a very lucrative contract that makes his a very rich man for the rest of his life. He did get us 10 interceptions so maybe we can do something for him so he doesn't feel slighted. But, the tail doesn't wag the dog. He is under contract to the Miami Dolphins and as such, he is expected to show up and give us his best. Disgruntled players are bad for the culture and the locker room. I agree with the OP. Head this off at the pass before it becomes a major issue. Keep Howard happy, if that becomes impossible then sell him to the highest bidder. No diva's on this team.

He has FOUR years left on this contract. He’s had knee issues that caused him to miss a lot of games and off the field issues. He’s getting into his later 20’s. I think the team holds firm and quite possibly trades him next offseason if Noah comes along and looks solid. If he was near the end of a long term contract I might feel different. To me, it’s just a bad precedent for a risky player. They’ve done well with responsible contracts that are not albatrosses. Boosting him now could create a problem down the road.

He has FOUR years left on this contract. He’s had knee issues that caused him to miss a lot of games and off the field issues. He’s getting into his later 20’s. I think the team holds firm and quite possibly trades him next offseason if Noah comes along and looks solid. If he was near the end of a long term contract I might feel different. To me, it’s just a bad precedent for a risky player. They’ve done well with responsible contracts that are not albatrosses. Boosting him now could create a problem down the road.
Agree, as you mentioned the past two off seasons he has had some not so good attention and in his defense he hasn't been charged but obviously flirting with the wrong crowd. Age, knees, character issues makes a huge redo of the contract a big concern. I am sure the team won't be stupid here and will try to appease but he if he stuck on top salary no way do I up him 6-7 mil a year without that being heavily focused on incentives via production which I am sure he doesn't want.

Agree, as you mentioned the past two off seasons he has had some not so good attention and in his defense he hasn't been charged but obviously flirting with the wrong crowd. Age, knees, character issues makes a huge redo of the contract a big concern. I am sure the team won't be stupid here and will try to appease but he if he stuck on top salary no way do I up him 6-7 mil a year without that being heavily focused on incentives via production which I am sure he doesn't want.
As you said his knees are a concern going forward and he is 28 nearly 30 when history shows a lot of CBs performance starts going down, and how many of his interceptions were they were throwing his way away from jones,
everyone always prises other teams when they let players walk and get as much as possible before they get worse maybe this is the point where we sell high instead of holding on too long and being forced to sell low

At this stage of his career he shouldn't need a pep talk from a veteran .... he signed a contract and he should play it out ... if he is disgruntled over money (you know, the same money he eagerly signed up for) then he can pound sand

If his attitude (ego, pride... whatever) is higher pay or no play then trade his a$$ to the highest bidder and move on

Coddling players over money is not in play for me unless a player has CLEARLY out-performed his contract ... I'm no expert here but to me it would mean lesser corners are getting new deals for much more money. If the average CB is being paid a million dollars a year and X is making 500K then I could see a case being made (of course that is an example to put my attitude in perspective... don't pounce cap nerds)

There are probably a few reasons to restructure a contract but if the player wants to be the highest paid at whatever position (which could change every year or so) then I'm out.

For me to even consider coddling a player over money and his pride the player would have to be the reason my team is what it is (in a good way) .... the catalyst ... the nucleus ... irreplaceable etc.

In this sport he is merely one wheel that helps me go... a nice wheel wheel with cool rims but he's only one ... and he is not THE difference maker on our defense .... seems to me he should have not signed a new deal and tested free agency and he's having buyers remorse ... but like my example hindsight is 20/20 ... tough $hit
So, I will agree that the Dolphins cannot let X hold them hostage. Hope, it does not get to that point, because they will move on for sure. You say he signed a contract and should play it out. How many teams honor the whole contract for players? Come on man. Teams cut players all the time long before their contracts are up. He is a big part of the defense. We all know they started clicking when Jones got healthy and they had two corners that could play man. The D flowed from them. This is a tough situation. I say the Dolphins should come up with a number. If X says no, then they should trade him. I'm more worried about aging and injuries.

As you said his knees are a concern going forward and he is 28 nearly 30 when history shows a lot of CBs performance starts going down, and how many of his interceptions were they were throwing his way away from jones,
everyone always prises other teams when they let players walk and get as much as possible before they get worse maybe this is the point where we sell high instead of holding on too long and being forced to sell low
That's the way winning orgs do it, if he is adamant on the high end probably a great time to let him walk rather than get hosed. I say the ball is in his court, i'd like him here another year or two but only on a reasonable contract, a reasonable addition to his current contract that is.

Back
Top Bottom