What to do with X? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What to do with X?

You keep X and you play him until he starts to decline in a year or two.

The better question to ask is what is our long term strategy at the CB position? We have two great players that will be 29 an 28 years old this year. Our talent at this position will drop off quickly in another year or two.

The problem I have with players whining about being paid 'the highest on my team', or 'the best at my position' is that this is a zero-sum situation. For every dollar that one player makes, it comes directly from another guy on the team. There is a salary cap and the guy who is already making a large stack of money to want someone else's money too... is well... which word do you want me to use here? Selfish? Egotistical? Thoughtless? Soulless?

These guys are not team players and ultimately, the only thing you can really trust them to do is to sell you out when it is time for them to move against you.

I get it, I do... they have short careers and they have to look out for themselves, but when you are already making so much money, money to live the rest of your life without working a single day... how much would EVER be enough? ...and this makes you a rotten and selfish human being.

Just my two and a half cents, but if he's actually threatening to hold out, I start shopping him immediately. If he's just doing some early negotiating, I tell him to have another year like this year, and we'll bump him up when the salary cap increases. My reaction would depend ENTIRELY on his posture to that.

trade him. elite CB's get traded and play on multiple teams throughout their careers. See if we can get a first for him or include him in a trade for Watson.

But the difference is terminology in the contract allowing teams to cut, get out, etc is transparent and known to parties when they sign. Teams can't just cut a guy without following the terms of the contract and many times still are on the hook for payment when they do so that's why many choose the large signing bonus upfront. Agents spell this out to clients so it should never be a surprise. Teams cant take back money on a injury laden year or if performance wasn't as it was in a prior year. X is doing what teams can't, period.

I am not against a restructure that includes incentives but to give him say top 3 money...that would be another 6-7 million a year and at his age and knee history it's a problem in my opinion. Let him make it but anything near a redo of 6+ a year needs to have some incentives built in. IMO I don't think he wants another 3-4, he wants to be paid top 3 which is between 18-21.We could help the team with that 6-7 per year and the odds of him duplicating last year is probably not that great. In sum, pay the man but not in the way he want's it after all all he did sign on the dotted line in a down year.
Are you saying teams never cut veterans unless its known by both parties? That's not even close to correct. The only thing the teams are on the hook for is money already paid or injury (in which case, both parties sign on to that.)

Teams cut players all the time because of underperforming. Its fine..that's their right. No one expects a team to honor an expensive contract from underachieving players. And most times they don't. What gets my goat is when people start criticizing players for outperforming their contract and wanting to get paid. Thats THIER right. Doesn't mean the team will do it. Players get traded all the time because of contracts that sour the relationship. Its the way of the NFL world.

But spare me the "he signed a contract" so hes somehow dishonorable for wanting more money. FTR, I'd offer him what Jones makes or try to get picks for him...but I certainly don't begrudge him for trying to maximize his earning potential.

Ugh, dear Lord - sorry I was overly vague. Fans are happy to see players get cut who go out and play hard. Is that better? See, for example, the recent posts on cutting Bobby McCain.

If a player is cut, the contract isn't honoured. If its a contract for 3 years and they're cut after 2, its not honoured. I don't really get how you're arguing about that. The teams dont want fully guaranteed contracts for the players, this is pretty much inevitable under that system - and I doubt anyone at the organisation is overly upset about Howard asking for more money.
I don’t think the average fan is happy when any player is cut. Yet just like the front office and coaching staff, it comes down to available cap money and whether the team can upgrade the position with a player who is either cheaper or a better player. Even if paying the better player means paying him more money.

I think the reason a lot of people constantly bring up McCain is many fans see him as an average to below average player who is scheduled to be paid more than they feel he is worth. I think if he was making half what he is scheduled to make next year, there would not be that many people looking to cut him.

Fans in that way are similar to the FO and coaching staff. They look at what they perceive to be the value of the player in relationship to his cost against the cap. This might not seem fair but basically that is how every business views the relationship between ownership and worker. If you are a worker who isn’t worth what the company is paying you, you won’t be working for that company very long.

As far as you statement that the team is not honoring a players contract when they cut him before his contract ends. As I pointed out earlier, the only money a player is
assured of when he signs a contract is the money guaranteed in the contract and the money he earns in incentives each year which is spelled out in his contract.

Every player who signs a contract in the NFL is fully aware of the fact their contract can be terminated at the discretion of the team. Therefore they sign a contract knowing that the organization owes them nothing but the guaranteed money in their contract if they are cut from the team before their contract ends. The organization is only responsible for paying the guaranteed part of the contract and any injury related cost once the player is no longer a member f the team.

Because the contracts are written in this way under terms of the CBA between the owners and the players. I disagree with you when you state that contracts are not honored if a player is cut prior to the end of his contract. Because once the guaranteed money is paid, the organization has basically paid the
player everything they agreed to pay him if they decide to release him from his contract and he is then free to sign with any other team that wants to sign him.

I don’t think the average fan is happy when any player is cut. Yet just like the front office and coaching staff, it comes down to available cap money and whether the team can upgrade the position with a player who is either cheaper or a better player. Even if paying the better player means paying him more money.

I think the reason a lot of people constantly bring up McCain is many fans see him as an average to below average player who is scheduled to be paid more than they feel he is worth. I think if he was making half what he is scheduled to make next year, there would not be that many people looking to cut him.

Fans in that way are similar to the FO and coaching staff. They look at what they perceive to be the value of the player in relationship to his cost against the cap. This might not seem fair but basically that is how every business views the relationship between ownership and worker. If you are a worker who isn’t worth what the company is paying you, you won’t be working for that company very long.

As far as you statement that the team is not honoring a players contract when they cut him before his contract ends. As I pointed out earlier, the only money a player is
assured of when he signs a contract is the money guaranteed in the contract and the money he earns in incentives each year which is spelled out in his contract.

Every player who signs a contract in the NFL is fully aware of the fact their contract can be terminated at the discretion of the team. Therefore they sign a contract knowing that the organization owes them nothing but the guaranteed money in their contract if they are cut from the team before their contract ends. The organization is only responsible for paying the guaranteed part of the contract and any injury related cost once the player is no longer a member f the team.

Because the contracts are written in this way under terms of the CBA between the owners and the players. I disagree with you when you state that contracts are not honored if a player is cut prior to the end of his contract. Because once the guaranteed money is paid, the organization has basically paid the
player everything they agreed to pay him if they decide to release him from his contract and he is then free to sign with any other team that wants to sign him.
Exactly, the difference is clear. Now if a team signed a player to a contract and just stopped paying him while he is playing because he got hurt or wasn't playing up to par then I would say that is wrong and of corse collective bargaining/arbitration etc would kick in and the team would be forced to pay. Quite a difference than signing a contract on a down year then playing really well and demanding more.

Lastly, I would love to give X more money to make him happy but if he demands top CB #1-#3 money I think that's a bit much and too his credit it hasn't gotten ugly yet and I hope it does. I would love to have him another year or two but can't get crazy.

I really like X and want him here BUT if we can’t keep him satisfied we should move him on while his stock is at it’s highest currently. I’d hate to see him leave though, him and Byron are a great combo

I'm okay with trading Howard if we can get two picks for him and use one for Surtain.

Time to rebuild our team the right way. Lets not give up all our draft picks we acquired for one player

Only way I trade X is if its to get Watson.

If we trade X only to draft a Corner and another Tackle with our 1st round picks and we don't get Watson im gonna vomit.

Igbo needs to start opposite Jones. We don't need Surtain. Igbo should be very good, corners always take time to develop its probably the hardest postion to play outside QB

Back
Top Bottom