What to do with X? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What to do with X?

I agree, his value will never be higher than it is right now.

But you take X away from this defense last year, this team isn't .500. I fully believe that. He was that good.

I agree with that. He probably was worth 2 wins to ya

hard to say that about dbs but when you aren’t getting anything from the offense not that hard

So, I will agree that the Dolphins cannot let X hold them hostage. Hope, it does not get to that point, because they will move on for sure. You say he signed a contract and should play it out. How many teams honor the whole contract for players? Come on man. Teams cut players all the time long before their contracts are up. He is a big part of the defense. We all know they started clicking when Jones got healthy and they had two corners that could play man. The D flowed from them. This is a tough situation. I say the Dolphins should come up with a number. If X says no, then they should trade him. I'm more worried about aging and injuries.
If he has exceeded expectations he should revisit his contract through his agent IMO ... players airing their attitudes toward the money they think they deserve is a slap in the face to the organization ... meeting the FO through his agent would be the approach I would expect ...

If the 2 sides can't come to an agreement then put him on the trade block ...

Nothing wrong with "asking for a raise" ... it's not the business of the general population ... once it becomes nationwide news then it's a distraction ... teammates watch, listen ... it's a bad situation ... based on what I've seen since Flo became coach allowing that kind of division (power play) doesn't end well ...

Yes he signed a contract and should play it out unless he is unhappy with the team he plays for ... negotiating a raise behind closed doors doesn't put the FO/coaching staff in a bad light in front of the other team members ...

I haven't read that he is demanding top CB pay or else BUT IF that is his stance he can pound sand

X is arguably the best CB in the league (Ramsey)

I'll listen (read) a case for anyone else but......I already watch a lot of football.

It's easy to say trade him for 2 1sts but you'd be damn lucky to end up with even one all-pro (either team) for even a year.

We're in almost certainty sub .500 last year without X.

Move some money up, guarantee next year. The only way i'd trade him is in the package for Watson.

Again with "teams don't honor contracts"?

That just isn't true. They aren't gauranteed, but that is known up front, and the contracts are structured with that in mind.

If they were found to be in breach, there would ne lawsuits, or arbitration.

The specifics of NFL contracts have been negotiated, and agreed to by both the owners, and player's union.
This misses the point. Either side can refuse to "honor" the contract. If the player doesn't play, he doesn't get paid.

I have no idea why you state, “fans are happy to cut players who go out and play hard”. I wasn’t aware any fans cut players. I always thought it was the organization that was responsible for cutting players.

As far as the teams not honoring contracts is concerned. The players and the owners have a CBA which
states that the only money a player is entitled too under a contract is the guaranteed money in the players contract. Any other money in the contract is only paid if the player remains on the team or meets certain goals during a season.

So saying a team doesn’t honor a player contract is not correct. If the players aren’t happy with the way contracts work in the NFL, they need to change the terms of the contracts when they sign their next CBA
with the owners. The reality is the player and each organization know the terms of the CBA when they enter into a contract and that is why players try to get as much guaranteed money as possible when they sign their contract. They are all fully aware that any money in their contract beyond
the guaranteed money will only be paid if they remain a player in the NFL.

Therefore every team does honor the terms of every player contract based on the the terms of the CBA,
Not even close!

What if X came out and said I'll honour the rest of the contract if you guarantee the rest of it? Coming off an all-pro season it seems legit to expect more than one season of guaranteed salary, especially when it's barely #1 money.

This misses the point. Either side can refuse to "honor" the contract. If the player doesn't play, he doesn't get paid.
No, you are missing the point.

Teams do honor the contracts. Part of the duration can be gauranteed, and part is an option, with or without gaurantees.

The terms are known by all up front, and there is recourse for an owner breaching the contract.

Stop with the "not honoring". That is incorrect. Perhaps you don't like the system, but that's a different matter than contract law.

Last edited:
I like X but it kinda bugs me every time he has 1 good season he wants more money. Trade him. He was designed to finish out his contract and Noah takes over. Do it now.

I like X but it kinda bugs me every time he has 1 good season he wants more money. Trade him. He was designed to finish out his contract and Noah takes over. Do it now.
I mean he's put up 17 interceptions in the two seasons he's asked for more money. I don't blame him. Get his (even if it's with someone else). However the 2nd time asking for more money was kind of Miami's fault as they overpaid Byron Jones, and Howard should definitely be paid more than Jones.

Is X worth Jalen Ramsey compensation? If so I’ll take two firsts, see ya buddy.

What if X came out and said I'll honour the rest of the contract if you guarantee the rest of it? Coming off an all-pro season it seems legit to expect more than one season of guaranteed salary, especially when it's barely #1 money.

Would be worse for the Dolphins, versus guaranteeing 2 years and adding some money to the entire contract.

NFL contracts are a leverage game. Miami loses all of it in a move like that.

Is X worth Jalen Ramsey compensation? If so I’ll take two firsts, see ya buddy.

Keep in mind the trade for Ramsey happened when Ramsey was 24. X will be 28 before the season starts. You aren't getting Ramsey compensation.

You absolutely could get a 1st and something else.

No, you are missing the point.

Teams do honor the contracts. Part of the duration can be gauranteed, and part is an option, with or without gaurantees.

The terms are known by all up front, and there is recourse bor an owner breaching the contract.

Stop with the "not honoring". That is incorrect. Perhaps you don't like the system, but that's a different matter than contract law.
I am completely ambivalent to the system. Teams back out of contracts all the time. Its part of the system...you should stop acting like it's only bad when players want to renegotiate.

As someone commented without X's ints would we have had a 10 win season. I doubt it
He's the best playmaker we have on that side and if it takes a few more dollars to keep him happy i would find a way to get them

Who was the last multiple probowls player we have had on the D ?
Jones maybe or did he just get there once.
Not something to undervalue

Back
Top Bottom