What Type Of Base Defense Does Miami's Current Personnel Best Fit?0 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Type Of Base Defense Does Miami's Current Personnel Best Fit?0

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
USATSI_11817854.jpg

Coach Brian Flores and the rest of the Miami staff have talked a lot this winter about how they want to be “multiple” on defense. How being able to change what you do on a week to week basis is their dream scenario, one they hope to see materialize on the field.

Ultimately, teams have to play what their players are capable of. What does that mean for Miami? The Dolphins will be challenged either way, barring hitting a home run in this month’s NFL Draft. The team simply lacks the pass rush needed to shine in any alignment. But there are some pieces who would certainly benefit from one type of look more than another.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...fense-does-miamis-current-personnel-best-fit/

Like the article said. None unless we get a pass rush and hence, we should be looking at edge players in two weeks.

who would you be targeting and where
I really like Wilkins because he can do so many things. He's a DT that could probably play the nose. He's good against the run but can push the pocket from the inside and I bet he could line up at End on a 3-4. He also scored 4 TD's on offense playing FB he can carry the ball on short yards situations or block. One of the real leaders of Clemson too.

There's a few guys in the 2nd and 3rd round range like Winovich, Omenihu, Bagonu, Collier and Ferguson that could fit what they want to do.

Like the article said. None unless we get a pass rush and hence, we should be looking at edge players in two weeks.
I agree. Without some semblance of a pass rush, beyond LBs blitzing, and, an aat least competent cover corner opposite X, our D will be horrible.

I agree. Without some semblance of a pass rush, beyond LBs blitzing, and, an aat least competent cover corner opposite X, our D will be horrible.
There's going to be some growing pains this year for sure even if we have a good draft. I try to be realistic so lets say we add two very good players to our D-line.. Then we have Taylor and Godchaux who I believe will continue to improve. Now your D-line is looking much better but we'd still need for RM and Baker to improve a lot and we'd still be missing a corner 2 to go along with Howard. We can hope that one of these guys we just got from the AAF can develop and become at least a contributor. That's a lot of IF's right there. Having said that. If those things can happen then in 2020 we might just need to add a couple of more guys thru the draft and/ or free agency and we could have a good defense.

There's going to be some growing pains this year for sure even if we have a good draft. I try to be realistic so lets say we add two very good players to our D-line.. Then we have Taylor and Godchaux who I believe will continue to improve. Now your D-line is looking much better but we'd still need for RM and Baker to improve a lot and we'd still be missing a corner 2 to go along with Howard. We can hope that one of these guys we just got from the AAF can develop and become at least a contributor. That's a lot of IF's right there. Having said that. If those things can happen then in 2020 we might just need to add a couple of more guys thru the draft and/ or free agency and we could have a good defense.
I truly believe, both RW, and particularly, Baker will greatly benifit from having, not only competent coaching, but a real NFL scheme, as well as a year of playing experience.

One decent corner should make our secondary a solid unit.

The D-line is my biggest concern, and some depth at LB wouldn't hurt either.

As you said, 2020 we should be in a much better position. We have a lot of holes to fill in one draft.

A true assessment. Only thing I'd add, is that we might also need at least 2 more corners as the patriots are in Dime for a significant amount of their snaps.

I really like Wilkins because he can do so many things. He's a DT that could probably play the nose. He's good against the run but can push the pocket from the inside and I bet he could line up at End on a 3-4. He also scored 4 TD's on offense playing FB he can carry the ball on short yards situations or block. One of the real leaders of Clemson too.

There's a few guys in the 2nd and 3rd round range like Winovich, Omenihu, Bagonu, Collier and Ferguson that could fit what they want to do.

Nice. I agree. I love me some Wilkins. I don't think he fits the NT great. But he can definitely play multiple positions along a multiple alignment up front.

A true assessment. Only thing I'd add, is that we might also need at least 2 more corners as the patriots are in Dime for a significant amount of their snaps.
No doubt we need at the very least one more Corner to start opposite Howard and some depth. This is going to take two good drafts.

You may be right about needing two CBs. I'm hoping Tank can fill some of that need, and as long as McCain can stay in the slot, he is at least competent.

Well... with 3 inside linebackers and a defensive end group that only plays the run, I'd say we have a defensive unit built for 1930.

Back
Top Bottom