What type of Corner will we be looking for? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What type of Corner will we be looking for?

We won;'t know until the combine. It's all about elite athleticism.

We know some of them are elite athletes. Guys don't go from 4.3's coming out of HS to 4.5's at the Combine or lose significant agility or jumping ability unless they suffer a significant injury or series of injuries.

Main thing with Fulton is he’s dinged up a lot with nagging injuries. Struggled in some games like Texas, etc.

Reminds me a little bit of Vontae Davis.

Good chance I'm underrating him. I'm going to revisit him before the Combine. Hard to get over the guy across from him, who would be the CB1 in this (loaded) class if he were draft eligible.

Maybe so but I think part of the reason he even had that chance to show himself was because teams were avoiding throwing to the other guy.

We know some of them are elite athletes. Guys don't go from 4.3's coming out of HS to 4.5's at the Combine or lose significant agility or jumping ability unless they suffer a significant injury or series of injuries.

He's a receiver not cornerback but Jeff Thomas of the Canes will be an interesting test of that theory. On Canes sites I've seen predictions of 4.2s all the way up to 4.5s. He ran 4.38 in high school. No significant injuries subsequently. Unless you count mental injuries to all the coaches who have had to deal with him.

Fans projecting from the 4.38 are asserting 4.2s while fans who watched him last season exclusively are saying 4.5s.

I'll be surprised if he matches his high school time, unless he's really worked on his start.

Anyway, regarding cornerback I hope it's not first round. The position is bust central. Part of the reason is they keep subjectively pushing the guys who don't belong, like Hargeaves with his tiny hands and very short arms. The Seahawk blogger reminded of this the other day, "100% of multiple first team All-Pro cornerbacks drafted since 1998 have +32 inch arms." He has emphasized that for years. It's one of the reasons I didn't want to sign 31.25 Xavien Howard for that type of money. Seemingly next to impossible for him to live up to it. Besides, in a league with 65% completion percentage occupying nearly half the starters I don't know how much you can reasonably expect to gain from a cornerback unless he's ultra elite.

Recent history of lousy return on first round investment, and rules that do a good job blending players at the position. I'd prefer to honor the trends instead of bucking them. But at least make sure he's scrappy with 32+ arms and bothers to look for the football.

He's a receiver not cornerback but Jeff Thomas of the Canes will be an interesting test of that theory. On Canes sites I've seen predictions of 4.2s all the way up to 4.5s. He ran 4.38 in high school. No significant injuries subsequently. Unless you count mental injuries to all the coaches who have had to deal with him.

Fans projecting from the 4.38 are asserting 4.2s while fans who watched him last season exclusively are saying 4.5s.

I'll be surprised if he matches his high school time, unless he's really worked on his start.

Anyway, regarding cornerback I hope it's not first round. The position is bust central. Part of the reason is they keep subjectively pushing the guys who don't belong, like Hargeaves with his tiny hands and very short arms. The Seahawk blogger reminded of this the other day, "100% of multiple first team All-Pro cornerbacks drafted since 1998 have +32 inch arms." He has emphasized that for years. It's one of the reasons I didn't want to sign 31.25 Xavien Howard for that type of money. Seemingly next to impossible for him to live up to it. Besides, in a league with 65% completion percentage occupying nearly half the starters I don't know how much you can reasonably expect to gain from a cornerback unless he's ultra elite.

Recent history of lousy return on first round investment, and rules that do a good job blending players at the position. I'd prefer to honor the trends instead of bucking them. But at least make sure he's scrappy with 32+ arms and bothers to look for the football.

If Jeff Thomas runs significantly slower than 4.38, it'll be a testament to his laziness - or some other issue I'm unaware of. Watching his 2018 stuff, he looks like he runs in the 4.3's.

For me, 39 and 56 look like great spots. If the team wanted to wait longer and target the depth of the class, rather than the top, I'd be fine with that, too. I keep coming back to this, but, outside of QB, the strongest groups in 2020 are WR, OT, and CB. This is close to a perfect scenario for a team with a ton of picks - especially one starting from scratch like Miami.

18 is interesting, because Wills, Thomas, Wirfs, Bekton, and Jones could all be off the board. I think one is likely still available, but if not, Miami is in a bit of a spot. I have 4 WR's and 2 CB's I'd be good drafting there (Lamb, Jeudy, Reagor, Higgins, Okudah, Henderson), but it seems like only Reagor, Higgins, and Henderson are decent bets to still be available. Btw, I think Okudah and Henderson both have 32"+ arms. The OT's, WR's, and CB's I listed are the only options I like at 18 outside of Young and Simmons, who won't be there. I could maybe get on board with Epenesa.

If the OT's are gone, a trade down makes a lot of sense - assuming of course they have the option. Otherwise, I'd probably just pull the trigger on Reagor, who complements Parker, Williams, and Gesicki better than anyone and would give Miami elite speed and burst that can actually play - easy separation, high points the ball very well, tracks the ball very well, and he's excellent with the ball in his hands. I see some people knocking him for being weak over the middle, but he's better/tougher here than guys like Desean Jackson, T. Hill, and W. Fuller, and that's not really the way you should use him.

Tua, A. Thomas, and Reagor would be my perfect 1st Round - assuming Miami can move up to 2 or 3 without giving up 18 or 26, which seems plausible.

If Jeff Thomas runs significantly slower than 4.38, it'll be a testament to his laziness - or some other issue I'm unaware of. Watching his 2018 stuff, he looks like he runs in the 4.3's.

For me, 39 and 56 look like great spots. If the team wanted to wait longer and target the depth of the class, rather than the top, I'd be fine with that, too. I keep coming back to this, but, outside of QB, the strongest groups in 2020 are WR, OT, and CB. This is close to a perfect scenario for a team with a ton of picks - especially one starting from scratch like Miami.

18 is interesting, because Wills, Thomas, Wirfs, Bekton, and Jones could all be off the board. I think one is likely still available, but if not, Miami is in a bit of a spot. I have 4 WR's and 2 CB's I'd be good drafting there (Lamb, Jeudy, Reagor, Higgins, Okudah, Henderson), but it seems like only Reagor, Higgins, and Henderson are decent bets to still be available. Btw, I think Okudah and Henderson both have 32"+ arms. The OT's, WR's, and CB's I listed are the only options I like at 18 outside of Young and Simmons, who won't be there. I could maybe get on board with Epenesa.

If the OT's are gone, a trade down makes a lot of sense - assuming of course they have the option. Otherwise, I'd probably just pull the trigger on Reagor, who complements Parker, Williams, and Gesicki better than anyone and would give Miami elite speed and burst that can actually play - easy separation, high points the ball very well, tracks the ball very well, and he's excellent with the ball in his hands. I see some people knocking him for being weak over the middle, but he's better/tougher here than guys like Desean Jackson, T. Hill, and W. Fuller, and that's not really the way you should use him.

Tua, A. Thomas, and Reagor would be my perfect 1st Round - assuming Miami can move up to 2 or 3 without giving up 18 or 26, which seems plausible.
I agree that getting Tua a weapon at WR would be ideal. I know many people here don't want to draft a WR in the 1st round and I get it but this is not a one year thing we're talking about so I don't want to pass on a great talent just because it seems we're ok at WR. In order to score a lot of points you need play makers at WR so I'm all for drafting one.

Btw, I agree that we could move up two spots without using 18 or 26

Howard, Madison and Surtain were all drafted in the 2nd round. I'd stay away from going Corner in the 1st round.

Definitely get your point about arm length, but is 3/4 of an inch a huge deal? My gut says no not really and X can still be a very good CB. Maybe not like an all time great but still good..

That’s why there’s a combine Mr. Offerdahl.

Speed for days.

Jalen Reagor looks like a perfect compliment to Miami's big WR's.

I think they would need to snap him up at 26 and I do not want WR's or RB's taken in the 1st round. I could leave with the right WR in round 2 .Would prefer 4th round or later on RB.

IF Miami had fewer needs on the 2 LOS I would feel differently about adding a speed WR earlyish.

But they need to build up the lines, there will be time to add little guys in the future.

You build the nice climate controlled garage and then you buy the sports cars...........;)

Back
Top Bottom