What type of offense should be established? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What type of offense should be established?

I just think we are in an era that the easiest path to success is an offense that uses the pass to set up the run. A pass catching RB is essential for Tua, Gaskin showed some ability but needs to improve the consistency. If we improve the WR and OL positions as it would seem likely we will I think the RB position will look different... not saying we shouldnt look for a RB at some point in the draft just that like the QB position the RB position will benefit from those upgrades.

There are a lot of successful offenses out there. In the NFL, offenses are typically a flavor of the month topic. Innovative OC's tear up the league, and in the offseason defenses adjust, and some other style of offense comes into vogue. As the rules have skewed heavily away from run games to primarily passing games, we've seen more points and more short-passing to establish the ball control and move the chains. Those offenses prioritize Yards After Catch (YAC) to generate chunk plays, often through screens or passes to RB's.

As offenses exploit space with speed, defenses adjust with faster defenders, which is why we now see LB's that are kinda hybrid SS/LB players with very good lateral quickness and elite speed. Most defenses play nickel as their primary defense, so defensive fronts are typically 5 or 6 people, so the old language of 43 vs. 34 is irrelevant, because nobody plays 7 up front very often any more. With all these quick passing offenses, defenses have moved to gap penetrating DT's who are primarily interior pass rushers like Aaron Donald or Ndamakong Suh. The old school guys who stopped the run are now rare pieces, and those run stuffing thumper LB's are now obsolete.

With those speed defenses and light players, teams like the Harbaugh brothers like to build, smashmouth run-first OL and strong running games work well. Defenses don't have the players to match up, because they're drafting for speed. Then the offenses throw the deep ball to get cheap TD's or force safeties deep and open up space for run games. Those teams are built on defense and the offense is a ball-control one. We could certainly play that. We have an excellent game-manager to complement the defense.

But, I don't enjoy watching those teams.

I want an explosive offense. I want a team that makes me feel like we're NEVER out of the game because our offense can strike quickly. I want a QB who is good at pushing the ball downfield, an OL who will keep him upright long enough to do it, and skill players who are dangerous. Hopefully, Tua will improve next year when he's fully healthy and gains some experience, and starts pushing the ball downfield more with confidence. He'll never have a cannon, but he can drop the ball into a bucket deep, and he has enough of an arm to chuck it downfield. Our OL is improving, but new. In time, they should improve. We need a complete back--someone who can pass protect well, catch well, run routes well, follow his blockers well, pick his holes well, and break tackles. We don't have the OL or RB to do those things yet. Our QB looks like a rookie, and he's not where he needs to be yet. What I want is for these pieces to continue improving and get there. I want an offense that scores points. I want an offense that threatens via the air, and grinds out leads in the running game. I want an offense that scores in the red zone (or Green Zone as Marino used to call it because that's where they earn their money). I want an offense that scares people vertically. I want an offense that can convert a 3rd & 1 consistently in the run game.

I lived through the glorious and exhilarating Marino years. Once you've tasted great food, it's hard to be jazzed with oatmeal. Our offense has been oatmeal for a long time now, and typically our OL has been milk-soggy mush. Let's get back to consuming great meals.

Alabama’s offense..

Heavy Rpo/zone read

Since we are in the offseason it make since that we discuss the upcoming draft AKA our Superbowl.

However, I'd like to have a discussion around what peoples opinion is on the type of offense this team needs to be effective or dominant and help produce wins.

What I mean specifically is, do we want the offense to be more pass oriented (dominant passing game), more run oriented (dominant running game) or balanced (good on both sides)?

I believe most people would prefer the balanced approach but the questions is how far are we from that?

With the draft can we establish a balanced offense and what type of selections would that require?

If we don't have the means for establishing a balanced offense (can't trade down/FA does not work out), do we think it's better to create a passing oriented offense or running oriented offense? And how would we do this?

As an example let us assume FA did not net any worthy additions. In the draft suppose we cannot trade down #3 and the first 2 picks are TL and Fields, then it would be advisable to pick Sewell to bolster the line and with the #18 pick (assuming all tier 1 WR are gone) pick a tier 1 RB and use additional picks to establish a running game with some tier 2/3 WRs to help passing as well. But the strategy here is we will let the running game establish our offense.

Others may disagree with above and say that we focus on receivers (even tier 2) regardless of the scenario and create a passing offense that helps the QB, with less focus on adding value to running.
Note: I am saying less focus, we do still need to help for our running game.

I was just curious others think regarding this?
I think a balance is always good. sets up play action... just look at Buffalo's offense last game. talk about receiver separation.. they were open all day with 5 yard separation. and that was against a pretty good Miami defense (at least up until that game) . our receivers never get that open. every pass is contested (even with Fitz in there too).. not sure if that is our scheme or lack of talent that prevents our receivers from having any space.. probably both

I absolutely hate the idea of 10-12 plays drives being your actual desired outcome...

I have no problem with building an O for 10-12 play drives AS LONG AS the O is talented enough to take frequent shots. Plan on a 10-12 play drive, but have an O that can score from anywhere. Not only are 10-12 play drives susceptible to penalties and dropped passes, it makes the D's job easier

I lived through the glorious and exhilarating Marino years. Once you've tasted great food, it's hard to be jazzed with oatmeal. Our offense has been oatmeal for a long time now, and typically our OL has been milk-soggy mush. Let's get back to consuming great meals.
And all them SuperBowl wins.

You guys think we are playing a video game or something. An offense that everyone contributes. If your qb is stil learning, and the offense has to be tailor made to a player learning then we are going to have week 17 every week, specially against good teams.

You guys think we are playing a video game or something. An offense that everyone contributes. If your qb is stil learning, and the offense has to be tailor made to a player learning then we are going to have week 17 every week, specially against good teams.
Yeah qbs shouldn’t have to learn. They need to be same level as 17 year vet as rookie. No time to waste.

Good question

I want to hold onto the ball 40 minutes a game and jam the ball down the throats of the AFCE

I want sure death at the expense of a million paper cuts

I want fewer TOs more often than not TOs determine wins and losses

I want a RB on the roster who weighs 230 -235 and can catch out of the backfield

I want a TE who can all 3 downs and doesn’t tip off the D whether it is run or pass

Therefore I am perfectly fine taking Sewell at 3 if a tear down can’t be had

Yeah qbs shouldn’t have to learn. They need to be same level as 17 year vet as rookie. No time to waste.

Are you trying to tell me that Justin Herbert would have needed Fitzpatrick to relieve him?

I like to spread it out. 4 wide, 1 back, greatest show on turf type. You need a RB that can do it all and gazelles at WR.

Back
Top Bottom