What value does Cook have to this team as far as a contract offer? | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What value does Cook have to this team as far as a contract offer?

What is the top contract you would offer?

• 4-5m per, two year deal, fully guaranteed

• 5-7m per, three year deal, 13m guaranteed

• 7-9m per, three year deal, 17m guaranteed

• 9-11m per, three year deal, 20m guaranteed

• Less than any of these

• More than any of these

Results are only viewable after voting.
Umm…running backs don’t get big contracts except for a handful that have the benefit of a foolish owner or GM. Mostert is one of the fastest guys in the league as is Achane and well of course waddle and Hill. Both of those players, Mostert & Wilson are quality starters with a top end yards per carry. Our running game would’ve been better last year, not with an upgrade of backs, but with calling more running plays.

I‘m telling you right now, injuries aside, Mostert & Achane are the fastest duo in the backfield in nfl already before they even step foot on the field together. And Jeff Wilson runs hard, but if you want to judge a running back By their contract then clearly you don’t understand the league, or at least the value on that position that the league puts on it.

The hell goin on…
Umm, what's Mostert's speed or YPC gong to do for us when he's hurt and not playing which has been the majority of his career? Content with Wilson and a 3rd round rookie (no matter how much potential said rookie has)? Seems thin, very thin, to depend on a 31 year old RB that has been perennially injured to be there for the team particularly when it matters late in the year and playoffs.

Now as a #2, that would be a great spot for him, a little less usage, likely little 3rd and short type of runs, exploit that speed as your change up. Cook makes all the sense in the world, this group needs depth, of course it is always a cost/benefit analysis so will have to see what our options are for that limited cash but there is clearly a need, especially if you truly want to run the ball more to protect your QB.

I personally think even without Cook, we might be pretty set at RB with what we have, but on the other hand, you don't say no to getting a possible game changer that is willing to give you a discount.

4 to 5 Miami can somewhat do, and if Cook was serious, then that amount should be good enough for him.

Less then that is moving into the insult category, and more then that is starting to play closer to the eventual future of salary cap hell that Miami's still really not a part of, even with all they have done this year.

Can you give me an example of a good OL who was cut in TC last year, signed with a new team for somewhere in the ballpark of $5-6 million, and then played well?

I’m not trying to be difficult. I just don’t think this actually happens. Guys who get cut in TC are generally retreads and sometimes they play well on their next team, but not at a $5-6 million price point. OL who get cut in training camp are lucky to catch on somewhere else for near-minimum money.
Yeah, depth is the best you can realistically expect with the vast majority of camp cuts.

The positional price rate is what it is, though.

A good depth Tackle, Corner, or pass rusher can, and will easily get more than vet min in most cases.

Can you give me an example of a good OL who was cut in TC last year, signed with a new team for somewhere in the ballpark of $5-6 million, and then played well?

I’m not trying to be difficult. I just don’t think this actually happens. Guys who get cut in TC are generally retreads and sometimes they play well on their next team, but not at a $5-6 million price point. OL who get cut in training camp are lucky to catch on somewhere else for near-minimum money.
The scenario of medium-priced OL becoming available via cuts appears rare. Last year, Max Scharping, G, was the highest OL salary $2.6MM cut; signed w/Bengals for $1.4MM.

Maybe find a good back-up, but that’s about it.

He's going to sign a 1-year-deal at 8/9M or a 2 year at 6/7M. You heard it here first (probably) :p

The scenario of medium-priced OL becoming available via cuts appears rare. Last year, Max Scharping, G, was the highest OL salary $2.6MM cut; signed w/Bengals for $1.4MM.

Maybe find a good back-up, but that’s about it.

Exactly. So if we’re saving cap space, it’s not for training camp OL cuts. A $1.4 million signing would barely impact the cap math.

If your saving cap space, its to trade for a quality starter in-season.

Improving the OL via FA is not happening in 2023. All you can do is find depth.

Talented OL, just like QB's, RARELY ever become available.

Jack Conklin (still alot of bonus money to deal with though) and Joel Bitinio (more tradeable contract) come to mind as guys who might be available once the trade deadline approaches if the Browns are battling for 4th place in the AFCN with Pittsburgh after 8 games. The Browns have yet another draft coming up without a first round pick, not that I am putting my first rounder on the table for an in-season trade. Very unlikely unless we are talking about Myles Garrett. At a certain point they have to retool. That means Nick Chubb could be in his last year as a Brown as well.

Week 1 Bengals @ Browns
Week 2 Browns @ Steelers <-----Cleveland is cooked if they lose this game week 2 (barring a week 1 upset).
Week 3 Titans @ Browns
Week 4 Browns @ Ravens
Week 5 Niners @ Browns
Week 6 Browns @ Colts
Week 7 Browns @ Seahawks
Week 8 Cardinals @ Browns

The Browns actually have an incredibly easy schedule so anything is possible. They have a massive cap deficit in 2024 so they may want to get a jump start on tackling that problem by dumping 2023 salary.

If Kevin Stefanski appears to be headed for the unemployment line, I could see a fire sale.

I could also see them being 4-4 and looking at their remaining 9 games and thinking they can contend for a WC spot, so who knows.

The only guarantees for Cleveland are that Deshaun Watson will be there in 2024, 2025 and 2026. Along with Denzel Ward and some other defensive players.

I'm hoping for 2-5 after the Seattle game.

Last edited:
If your saving cap space, its to trade for a quality starter in-season.

Improving the OL via FA is not happening in 2023. All you can do is find depth.

Talented OL, just like QB's, RARELY ever become available.

Jack Conklin (still alot of bonus money to deal with though) and Joel Bitinio (more tradeable contract) come to mind as guys who might be available once the trade deadline approaches if the Browns are battling for 4th place in the AFCN with Pittsburgh after 8 games. The Browns have yet another draft coming up without a first round pick, not that I am putting my first rounder on the table for an in-season trade. Very unlikely unless we are talking about Myles Garrett. At a certain point they have to retool. That means Nick Chubb could be in his last year as a Brown as well.

Week 1 Bengals @ Browns
Week 2 Browns @ Steelers <-----Cleveland is cooked if they lose this game week 2 (barring a week 1 upset).
Week 3 Titans @ Browns
Week 4 Browns @ Ravens
Week 5 Niners @ Browns
Week 6 Browns @ Colts
Week 7 Browns @ Seahawks
Week 8 Cardinals @ Browns

The Browns actually have an incredibly easy schedule so anything is possible. They have a massive cap deficit in 2024 so they may want to get a jump start on tackling that problem by dumping 2023 salary.

If Kevin Stefanski appears to be headed for the unemployment line, I could see a fire sale.

I could also see them being 4-4 and looking at their remaining 9 games and thinking they can contend for a WC spot, so who knows.

The only guarantees for Cleveland are that Deshaun Watson will be there in 2024, 2025 and 2026. Along with Denzel Ward and some other defensive players.

I'm hoping for 2-5 after the Seattle game.

It's amazing how crippling that Watson contract is.

It's amazing how crippling that Watson contract is.

Especially when you combine it with Amari Cooper's absurd salary that they deferred $18.8M in salary last year to a signing bonus. The Cowboys jumped for joy when they were able to unload him.

Cleveland needs a REALLY good year out of him or a REALLY bad year out of him, to make their 2024 decision a little easier.

He's got a cap hit of 23.7M next year with a dead cap hit of 11.3M or something like that.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Umm, what's Mostert's speed or YPC gong to do for us when he's hurt and not playing which has been the majority of his career? Content with Wilson and a 3rd round rookie (no matter how much potential said rookie has)? Seems thin, very thin, to depend on a 31 year old RB that has been perennially injured to be there for the team particularly when it matters late in the year and playoffs.

Now as a #2, that would be a great spot for him, a little less usage, likely little 3rd and short type of runs, exploit that speed as your change up. Cook makes all the sense in the world, this group needs depth, of course it is always a cost/benefit analysis so will have to see what our options are for that limited cash but there is clearly a need, especially if you truly want to run the ball more to protect your QB.
Well, we have Wilson, and Achane. But, also, Mostert had a hairline fracture in his knee which I understand has been fixed this off season, so hopefully, that’s behind him, but we’ll see.

Again, it’s not the worst thing in the world if the team wants to add Dalvin Cook, it just depends on the price and what other plans they had for the salary cap space he’ll end up taking. Cook had surgery in the off season as well to repair a torn labrum on his shoulder, so he’ll probably be Better this coming season as well.

We’ll see…

Especially when you combine it with Amari Cooper's absurd salary that they deferred $18.8M in salary last year to a signing bonus. The Cowboys jumped for joy when they were able to unload him.

Cleveland needs a REALLY good year out of him or a REALLY bad year out of him, to make their 2024 decision a little easier.

He's got a cap hit of 23.7M next year with a dead cap hit of 11.3M or something like that.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

They have almost SEVENTY percent of their 2024 estimated cap tied up in five players, all of whom have huge dead cap numbers to go along with it.

Lol..... Bandwagon?

You obviously haven't looked at the poll results.

Nobody that I've seen is questioning Cook's ability. I really wish ppl would stop purporting that is at issue.

The debate is how much better does he make this specific team, and what is that worth in terms of money? If we had him, would McD go away from RBBC, and give Cook the bulk of the carries? Does having a great RB even matter in terms of Championships today? Recent history says no.

Opinions vary, but there's more to it than some care to admit, because they are set, and their minds are closed to respectful, rational debate.
Upgrading a key position in this offense at an unlikely point in the off-season is a massive blessing especially considering we are his desired destination.

And you care more about a couple measly Milly in cap.

Clearly you are valuing the cap more than what he brings to the table hence you are doing precisely what you say you aren't, questioning his ability.

I'm not sure it's possible to have a rational conversation with someone who is doing the exact opposite of what he is saying.

Let's take a poll on that....

My WAG is that Cook will be traded to Miami rather than cut. The deal will be for a late round pick and Minny will pay part of Cook's salary.

Back
Top Bottom