What we did against the Bills vs What Tennessee did against the Bills | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What we did against the Bills vs What Tennessee did against the Bills

Defenses are generally behind early on and once there is game tape, that's when offenses need to evolve. 4 games of tape is generally a turning point, which is what I think we saw here with a great defensive team. We'll see how Bills respond going forward because teams will try to copy that. They have a great HC though, unfortunately for us.

This is not rocket science and it was NOT a matter of TN shutting down the Buffalo attack, per se.

Buffalo was an incredible 13 of 17 on 3rd downs. That's off the charts and will win most games. They rushed for 4.3 ypc. again, another great stat typically winning. (TN was 4.1, and most of that was Tannehill's 10.5 yds average- Henry averaged 3.0 ypc) They outgained Tennessee for the game and put up 370 yards of offense. They had TD scoring drives of 90 yards and 76 yards.

So why did they lose? Because of BAD BAD mistakes (some forced by TN) and TN's incredible efficiency in taking advantage of them:

TN interception- TN scores from 16 yard line.
TN punt return- TN scores from 30 yd line.
TN interception and 68 yard return- TN scores from 12 yd line.
TN kickoff fumble recovery- TN scores from 26 yd line.

And TN was very efficient in taking advantage of those turnovers. In addition, Tannehill was 75% completion, and led scoring drives of 75 yards and 90 yards- the latter going the length of the field from the 10 before half in 2 minutes.

Buffalo had 3 turnovers to TN none. That folks, was the game.
Hmmmm, stats are misleading. Buffalo’s one big run of 34 yards skews the stats on rushing, which were pretty pedestrian to begin with. Titans didn’t have to put up a lot of offence working with a short field a number of times. Allen passing for 263 yards on 41 attempts is a poor ratio. The Titans forced them to nickel and dime their way down field. Tennessee gave up a lot of yards underneath in the latter part of the game with their lead.

What great responses.
I have really enjoyed seeing other people's thoughts- it's amazing how many different takes there can be to a single question.
It's responses like these that make this board the best.

Bills weren't sure who they were playing so didn't have a full week planning for a certain team. Tannehill chose to forget everything Gase taught him and channelled his inner dolphin...mainly tho, both the Titans and Bills are currently better than the Fins...for now...

Every since the first week of the season the Bills have cut back on Allen running the ball and focused more on his passing and staying in the pocket. While he's done a decent job with the new style of attack, taking away the threat of Allen running the ball makes their offense a little easier to handle in my opinion. When Miami played the Bills the Dolphins were just coming off Cam Newton running all over them and still had images of Allen doing the same in 2018 and 2019. I think the game plan was designed for an offense we really didn't see much of. If the Bills keep their current plan of attack for the remainder of the season I think Miami will have a much better defensive game plan designed for the second matchup.

Just checked Allen had 14 carries for 67 yards in their first game of the season, most of those carries came in the first half before he lost two fumbles in the red zone. In the four games since he has 15 rush attempts for 44 yards, less than 4 attempts per game and less than 3 yards per carry. Again I'm not saying Allen is bad in the new role or their offense is ineffective. Prior to the Titans game Allen threw for 600 yards, 70 % completion rate, 6 tds and 1 int in wins against the Rams and Raiders where the Bills were scoring 30+ points. I'm just saying the new Bills offense might be a little easier for the Dolphins to game plan for later this season.

Last edited:
For whatever reasons, the Dolphins always make Josh Allen look like an MVP. Whatever their scheme is against BUF they need to reinvent a completely new one. Adding better players on defense will help, for sure. But no team has made Josh Allen look as good during his time in the league.

When Allen faces a capable defense with a sound scheme, his true color (inaccuracy) comes out.

Just Maybe, Buffalo is overrated? Not sure why the media (and a lot on here) are so high on Buffalo when they have proven nothing. They can't beat New England, they can't win the division, they can't win a playoff game, and they hardly beat any top teams. Last year, they lost to pretty much every good team they played. Defense has taken several steps back from last year. They've really only handled the Jets this year. You can argue they probably should have lost to Rams/Dolphins. I'm not seeing it with Buffalo and will not be surprised if they lose their first playoff game... again.

Just Maybe, Buffalo is overrated? Not sure why the media (and a lot on here) are so high on Buffalo when they have proven nothing. They can't beat New England, they can't win the division, they can't win a playoff game, and they hardly beat any top teams. Last year, they lost to pretty much every good team they played. Defense has taken several steps back from last year. They've really only handled the Jets this year. You can argue they probably should have lost to Rams/Dolphins. I'm not seeing it with Buffalo and will not be surprised if they lose their first playoff game... again.
Because Allen made strides apparently

I expected buffalos d to be better. Ed Oliver hasn’t made the leap. The lb Edmunds is a good damn player but he’s playing imo with a labrum tear in his shoulder and it shows this year. So none of the guys on defense that had the potential to take that next step have.

the offense is quality but they missed John Browns speed vs the titans. Diggs is a baller. Runs great routes

Tremaine Edmunds has a ways to go to be worth a top 15 pick imo, he's not the best linebacker on his team, missed tackles, easily fooled by misdirection, not productive in game changing plays..He can run and tackle, but I'm not dropping a top 15 pick on that.

Back
Top Bottom