What we did against the Bills vs What Tennessee did against the Bills | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What we did against the Bills vs What Tennessee did against the Bills

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
bills.png
So not being an X's and O's guy, I found this take very interesting. Sums up how Tennessee played defense and really made Josh Allen look bad.
So my question is for coaches/scheme guys/whoever who knows:
What did we do in week 2 vs Buffalo- Scheme wise, that DID NOT WORK, and would our secondary at full strength- Jones back, Howard full strength, Rowe and everyone else playing their regular spot- be able to duplicate what Tennessee did and handle Allen the same way?
Or is there a personnel thing that works for Tennessee that wouldn't work for us.
Wondering what people think.
Thanks

The Bills had half their defensive guys out in the secondary and LB group. That makes a big difference.

Without looking at everything I can tell you what we did wrong.

1.Jerome Baker was awful that game. The youtube channel Phinside the NFL broke down the all 22 of Baker and you see him constantly leaving his zone which led to a couple big scrambles from Allen and some big plays in the slot.

2.Young CBS (all 3 of Needham, Perry, and Iggy) had trouble staying with the wrs of Buffalo whether through being beat with route running, losing footing, or rub routes.

On a similar note we did get pressure and didn't finish the sacks and we had chances at INTs and just missed so plays were there to be made and just missed.

But long story short. Tennessee's D finished off plays and played smart

Force Josh Allen to read the entire field and make accurate throws. Allen is weak at scanning the field. Buffalo makes it simple for him so he doesn’t have to think much. Force him to think it’s not a strong suit

Bill's are going lose at leased 5 to 6 games this yr. They still good team.

I think the big difference was that Allen was very accurate against us while he wasn't accurate vs tenn. There were plays for buffalo in the Tenn game but Allen just missed them with bad throws.

Jones went down early and Howard was still not 100% in game shape. That put Igbinoghene, Perry and Needham on the field for a lot of snaps they weren’t 100% prepared to take week 2. The Titans executed their game plan well. If you can force Allen into having to make difficult reads you can really slow down their offense.

Blown coverages more than anything. Their WRs were running free and our DBs were scratching their heads. Less to do with talent more to do with inexperience.

The next matchup should be much different with Jones, Howard, Iggy healthier and more cohesive.

That game went the way it should’ve. If anything I was really pleased we were in contention and put the fear of god into them. They don’t look formidable.

This is not rocket science and it was NOT a matter of TN shutting down the Buffalo attack, per se.

Buffalo was an incredible 13 of 17 on 3rd downs. That's off the charts and will win most games. They rushed for 4.3 ypc. again, another great stat typically winning. (TN was 4.1, and most of that was Tannehill's 10.5 yds average- Henry averaged 3.0 ypc) They outgained Tennessee for the game and put up 370 yards of offense. They had TD scoring drives of 90 yards and 76 yards.

So why did they lose? Because of BAD BAD mistakes (some forced by TN) and TN's incredible efficiency in taking advantage of them:

TN interception- TN scores from 16 yard line.
TN punt return- TN scores from 30 yd line.
TN interception and 68 yard return- TN scores from 12 yd line.
TN kickoff fumble recovery- TN scores from 26 yd line.

And TN was very efficient in taking advantage of those turnovers. In addition, Tannehill was 75% completion, and led scoring drives of 75 yards and 90 yards- the latter going the length of the field from the 10 before half in 2 minutes.

Buffalo had 3 turnovers to TN none. That folks, was the game.

Last edited:
I think the big difference was that Allen was very accurate against us while he wasn't accurate vs tenn. There were plays for buffalo in the Tenn game but Allen just missed them with bad throws.
Well, he is Jeckle and Hyde, even against Miami. They had multiple chances to intercept him and didn’t. He can make some beauty throws and then miss so badly.

Miami couldn't stop the crossing route against Buffalo vs not running many against Tennessee from what I saw.

The Bills had half their defensive guys out in the secondary and LB group. That makes a big difference.
Why didn't the Dolphins defense play better when the Bills were missing their top 2 linebackers?

Next time around, should the Dolphins cancel practice and place their #2 and 3 receivers on the Covid list? That would make a big difference.

IMO it was mainly because our D had not played significant downs to gain the experience they needed to compete. Add 2 rookies in the secondary, and as many as 7 new defenders with no pre-season games, you have a fairly easy D to exploit. Now with B Jones back and 4 games under our belt with the film and teaching sessions in between you have a more cohesive unit. Add a little O scoring early points, and moving the ball consistently, gives the D more of a chance to re-group and get off the field. Our safety play against the Jills was particularly bad.

Back
Top Bottom