What were former Dolphins greats like? Historical Dolphins Info Wanted.

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by PhinsPhan, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Dolphins3

Dolphins3 Scout Team

Yeah, I thought about Alstott because he is about the last fullback to get a significant number of carries. But Alstott fumbled way more than Csonka.

2. cwsox

cwsox Dolphs Fan since 1966

Earl Morrall was the pride of Muskegon Michigan

not a big deal to most people but every day I drive past Morrall Drive, which runs perpendicular to his high school's football field, Hackley Stadium, the home of the 2008 state champion Muskegon Big Reds

that he also played for Michigan State and the Baltimore Colts is something I overlook since he started and ended well

3. bcfinfan

bcfinfan Well-Known Member

I've got to add my 2 cents worth here as I've been a fin fan since 1971. Although I've never seen them live as I live in van, canada I have watched them since '71 on tv everytime they are on and they were featured a lot back then.

A couple of players that need more of a mention are Bob Griese and Paul Warfield. Griese was a genius on the field, not a great arm and not big, but maybe the smartest qb up until then. He always seemed to come up with the right play for the situation and he called his own plays. He was the best ball handler I've ever seen, when he ran that misdirection with Csonka you didn't know where the ball was. When he did throw the ball it was right on the money.

As far as Warfield goes, his routes were like a hot knife thru butter and his hands were made of velvet, smooth, smooth. He would have been talked about a lot more if they threw the ball more but they were a running team primarily.
    Another guy I'd like to mention is Howard Twilley,he was wr opposite Warfield, a little guy with a funny name and no speed but his route runing was impeccable and I don't remember him ever dropping a pass. A very uinderappreciated part of the puzzle.

4. Dolfandenny

Dolfandenny Starter

Would like too add my thoughts about Greise if I may. He was very good at the hard count when we needed a off sides penalty. Very smart management and a team leader as opposed too Marino. Czonka was unstoppable.

5. england98

england98 Dolphin Fan

I been watching since. Try this pro-football-reference.com :)

6. Phins

Phins Rookie

Csonka was a beast. He's actually the reason I started being a fan of Miami. The way he would bull through the line with lineman just hanging on to him...Unstoppable

7. FinSince1971

FinSince1971 FinSince1971

This thread brings two things to mind: First is that after the late 70's I think of how the franchise kind of sputtered to keep the luster. Thats when the Steelers dynasty was rolling. The Dolphins under Shula were always a smart tough out though. The eighties teams over achieved and there were some decent seasons in there but my second point is I have never been as attached and into the team since the 70's until this team. Post Cam Cameron, Tony Sparanos team is the team since way back in the 70's that I like the most. I loved the first 10 years or so of the Marino era because he was so obviously special but in retrospect it was like watching Lebron James try to win with the Cavs because they never surrounded Dan with quite enough. Something about this 2008 to right now team just about equals the most faith I have ever had as a Dolphin fan since '71 and I have followed them all the way.