What will be your reaction if: | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What will be your reaction if:

Dolphins at #6 with Pitts, Chase, Sewell and Waddle on the board and they select - DeVonta Smith WR

• Total voters
And with input from Tua, maybe, maybe not, it might make the decision easier if it comes down to the ‘Bama boys.
Miami should have a good read, no doubt. And not just the skills guys, there are some OL and defensive guys that might work for the Dolphins

And Smith is dropping like crazy in every Mock draft or draft value projection. Smith has really hurt his value by
Refusal to weigh in at Senior bowl
Refusal to weigh in and workout on the same day.
2 months to just add weight and comes in at 170lbs.
Recent drafts have Smith being drafted after Chase, Waddle, Bateman and Toney. I had to triple check a few recent Mocks. One had Smith going to KC (31) while the other had not even going in round one.

I probably wouldn't bet on any of those mock drafts. Smitty already knew he was going to be the 2nd or 3rd WR off the board at worst as long as he was breathing come draft day. He had nothing to gain by weighing in or working out.

I'd probably be willing to bet on it though if somebody wants that action.

What’s funny is I wanted him the most maybe a month or two ago. I’ve been heavily swayed since by Chase and Pitts so Smith is not my favorite any longer.

If they do go that route I’d root for him big time though.

I hope this helps you understand just how underweight Smith really is. Marvin Harrison was considered to small coming out of college and is 1 inch shorter and weighs 25lbs more than Smith. That's just ridiculous.
Since Smith refused to be weighed at Senior bowl and then had 2 months to add weight and refused to workout and weigh in the same day his draft value has plummeted.
Before all that Smith was rated #1 WR in the draft. Now? He is rated between 4 and 6th best WR in the draft.
It's really simple, he isn't NFL size.

Bet $100.

I would be happy with Smith at 6.

Many stated Galloway was a waste due to being exact same type of WR as Parker. Well, same could be said of Chase.

Waddle? I personally like, however, we already have 27 injury prone Wr's.

Pitts? 3 months ago, very few were considering him. I am always cautious of guys who stock rise when they are no longer playing games and they impress with no pads or defenders on the field.

Personally, I would prefer Smith or Sewell at 6.

We need a WR who gets separation. Smith is the better prospect imo

i offered that wager yesterday and found only silence....good luck

That's definitely odd. Maybe we're just betting too high. Perhaps just $50 will draw somebody to some action.

Let's try to put it another way then - the first WR off the board in most mock drafts last year and the first WR to come off the board on draft day hauled in 26 catches and 2 TD's as a rookie. He also had the fastest 40 yard dash in the draft and weighed about 190 pounds.

I can't see any reason why someone wouldn't bet $50 that Smitty won't surpass those numbers as a rookie since he doesn't have NFL size and likely the 5th or 6th WR off the board. Possibly even in the 2nd round.

I think Chase, Smith or Waddle would quickly become Miami's best receiver, maybe even as rookies.

So, I'd be thrilled with any of the three.

The Dolphins are on the clock at #6 with Pitts, Chase, Sewell and Waddle on the board and the Miami Dolphins select - DeVonta Smith WR - Alabama.

I see so many locked into Pitts that there is a real possibility Grier and Flores do not want him or see him as a need. Draft night will be entertaining again on here regardless.

Regardless of "need" If B Flo and Grier have Pitts rated the highest player on their board then they should draft him. Drafting for need instead of best player available is why we have struggled drafting pro Bowl players. Obviously need and best player available should be within reason. A team with Mahomes at QB shouldn't use a high pick on a QB just because he's the best player available.

I wonder how much input Tua has on this decision. Tua knows Smith and Waddle better than anyone else in our front office.

It's difficult to not be a little worried about Smith's weight. But it's even more difficult to watch the guy and not want to see him in a Phins jersey. I wouldn't help but love the pick, even if we passed on Pitts and Chase.

I'd be very happy with any of Pitts, Waddle, Smith, or Chase. The only pick that would really upset me is Sewell.

I do not buy the pro day 40 times. Chase isn’t a real 4.38, and Pitts isn’t a real 4.44. I suppose if I believed those numbers, I’d feel more strongly about those two over Smith.

But since I don’t, I’m good with the guy who just lit up college football at 170 pounds. If Smith needs to gain 15 pounds to be effective, he’ll gain 15 pounds. I don’t really think playing at 170 is going to be an issue since nobody can stick with Smith out of breaks. But it’s not like 170 is a life sentence. The dude can put on a little extra muscle if he needs it. He certainly didn’t need it in college.

Back
Top Bottom