What will Tua have to Do?... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What will Tua have to Do?...

This isn’t basketball where a player score 50 and loses is hailed as dominant

Be real

Herbert and Burrow didn’t dominate and still lose
Yes, it is...
Steph Curry is having a dominant season while his team is sitting on the playoff bubble. Any wins the Warriors get will be as a result of what Curry did...not didn't do. No different than football. We could have gotten the same production out o0f Tyrod Taylor if what we wanted was a game manager who didn't tur the ball over.

How about he not throw for less than a hundred yards 3 times or average less than 4.5 ypa 4 times. Why don't we start with those low hurdles first!

This thread makes it sound like his detractors are just unfair and unreasonable critics when the truth is they are 100% adequate to the occasion. He was atrocious last year. He doesn't possess the sort of arm or athleticism his young contemporaries do, that's just a fact. He's got everything to prove.

Can he go toe to toe with the likes of Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence and DeShaun Watson if other factors are even? Because he's eventually going to need to beat quarterbacks like that to advance in a murderous AFC going forward.
Those are all valid observations and concerns. Like djphinfan I wanted Miami to draft Tua but didn't care if he played at all in 2020. Once he did play he did not look the part. He looked overmatched athletically by standards of a top tier quarterback, plus his arm strength and instincts were subpar. Most shocking of all, his accuracy was nothing special. I've seen hoops comment on that. Where is the downfield accuracy from Alabama? I realize some of the advanced metrics rated Tua's accuracy very high last year. I didn't see that. It still looked like a very catchable ball. That's the good news. The big throws were not delivered where they needed to be. And that was particularly meaningful because Tua was not attempting enough decisive throws.

Of course, when your deep threat has the catch radius of Jakeem Grant and he's dropping the ones you do deliver accurately, I can understand Tua's reluctance.

That finale against Buffalo is impossible to ignore. Josh Allen looked like a big guy who could roam around and dictate to the defense, picking out any target short or deep. Tua looked engulfed and minimized by the Buffalo defensive front, without ability to create on his own. And when he did own a window the passes were pedestrian velocity and accuracy. Really pathetic. Later that day in the 4 PM slot Houston helped us own the third pick. I became convinced it should be a quarterback to compete with Tua. I still feel that way. We passed up 3 highly rated quarterbacks by giving up the 3 pick, and we passed up 2 of them with the 6 pick. As hoops pointed out earlier in this thread, Jaylen Waddle's skill set does not equate to consistent production. He's going to terrorize some teams and be eliminated by others. I mentioned after the draft that Chase's skill set is a scheme all by itself. With Waddle the scheme and the matchups are imperative.

Tua's results in 2021 don't matter compared to simply establishing a physical presence out there, via offseason workouts and a year further removed from the injury. If that happens then perhaps he's a candidate for that top 5-10 quarterback range. I would doubt it. I don't see how everything from that Buffalo finale goes away. The one aspect I fall back on is that Tua averaged 11 YPA over a full season at Alabama. That should not be sustainable unless the quarterback is indeed extra special.

Need 16 games like the start against the Arizona Cardinals. That’s the bare minimum actually. I need to see more off script greatness. When the structure of the offense breaks down, can his instincts kick in and make something out of nothing?

But Flores is going to have to help him out. And he hasn’t exactly done that with the this OC situation, which seems to be a cluster**** waiting for happen.

Offensive line is a question mark as well.

While admittedly I was not a fan of drafting him, anyone would have to be crazy to not want him to succeed ...

I mean, why wouldn’t you .... otherwise we suck for 2-3 more years ... geesh .... 🐬

I feel like his ceiling is a top 10 NFL caliber quarterback. In my view, that's what he needs to become.

If Tua reaches that level, playoffs and super bowls could follow.

Win us tight games against good defense with consistency.

Middle of the forth, tight game, take the team for 70 yards score with consistency against good defense. Thats not too much to ask. All good QB can do that.

Almost?

Really going to go there?

Yeah, I went there. If Joe Burrow or Herbert were the Dolphins' QBs last year we're in the playoffs. I know that because I can do simple sums. I know how they performed against good defenses and I know how Tua performed. If Tua was the QB of the Chargers or Bengals, they're even worse than they were.

Yeah, I went there. If Joe Burrow or Herbert were the Dolphins' QBs last year we're in the playoffs. I know that because I can do simple sums. I know how they performed against good defenses and I know how Tua performed. If Tua was the QB of the Chargers or Bengals, they're even worse than they were.
God your nonsense is not even interesting. Its just agenda laced drivel.

Burrow
404 attempts 2688 yards
13 TDS
5 int
6.7 ypa
65.3 %

Tua
290 attempts 1814 yards
11 tds
5 int
6.3 ypa
64.1 %

Don't really statistically see how Burrow was far superior to Tua.

If anything Tua seemed to score more per attempt and surprisingly, Burrow protected the ball more

I have never understood how Burrow was so great, yet, Tua is nothing special. Yet, statistically they were similar and both were FAR superior to Josh Allen's rookie year.

Simple sums?

Herbert doesn't get the same wide open looks like he did in SD nor does he have as good a line.

Herbert was great no doubt. But its not based on anything other than opinion that he or Burrow would have made Miami better.

Burrow
404 attempts 2688 yards
13 TDS
5 int
6.7 ypa
65.3 %

Tua
290 attempts 1814 yards
11 tds
5 int
6.3 ypa
64.1 %

Don't really statistically see how Burrow was far superior to Tua.

If anything Tua seemed to score more per attempt and surprisingly, Burrow protected the ball more

I have never understood how Burrow was so great, yet, Tua is nothing special. Yet, statistically they were similar and both were FAR superior to Josh Allen's rookie year.

Simple sums?

Herbert doesn't get the same wide open looks like he did in SD nor does he have as good a line.

Herbert was great no doubt. But its not based on anything other than opinion that he or Burrow would have made Miami better.
It is a lazy ass argument by those with an agenda.

Will Tua ever prove the doubters/haters wrong? What will it take for him to silence the critics, A superbowl? Few years of playoff contention? Never please anyone??

Lets be honest here. Even If Tua excels this year, haters are still gonna bring up stuff like, "of course he has weapons now", or "that was against the cardinals Defense". Seems to me he is in a lose lose situation. Like, other successful QBs have weapons but dont get the heat like he does... Im just wondering what must he do to gain some love?
Well for starters he can try to be a mediocre QB. Averaging 181 yards per game is pitiful. His QBR was bad. Yeah, he was a rookie, rehabbing from a serious injury ... in a year of social distancing. Yeah he was used to being surrounded by clearly superior talent and overmatching the opposing team in every game by a LOT. He was used to guys getting open instantly and having 15 yards of open. He was spoiled with the riches that Alabama provides on the field. In the NFL, margins are a lot tighter. He took his lumps ... it was to be expected.

But what can he do? That's an easy one. Improve ... a LOT.

He never is going to be the guy with the rocket arm, so he needs to be extremely accurate. His 64% completion percentage needs to improve. He's never going to be the 6'5 stand in the pocket and throw over people or a big strong take a hit guy like Big Ben, so he needs to be mobile. He's never going to be a Cam Newton size/strength guy on the run or a Lamar Jackson speed guy or a Kyler Murray quickness guy, so he needs to be the elusive scrambler with pocket presence and judiciously running to convert 3rd downs and goal line situations like Russell Wilson. His measley YPA is not going to cut it. He needs to stop being a Checkdown Charlie and start pushing the ball downfield, without surrendering turnovers. He needs to stop seeing ghosts and become a fearless thrower, an aggressive attacker with a killer instinct to get the TD and kill off games.

He is already a very good decision maker, so he needs to just continue developing that and avoiding rash mistakes and turnovers. Jamies Winston had everything except decision making and was a flop. So, that's an area where Tua can continue to excel. He's a solid leader ... but the college rah rah isn't going to work in a locker room of grown men ... Tua needs to prove himself to them through production before they will be willing to be led by him. But he can, and likely will, so the sooner he earns their respect the better it is for him and the Dolphins.

Tua needs to get over his shell-shock of even competition, develop his ruthless mentality and trust his accuracy and decision making. Obviously, like every young QB, he's going to make some mistakes ... and some games a lot of them, but that's part of the learning curve, and we as fans need to accept that. Talk of him being the next Marino are not only farcical, but they did Tua a supreme disservice, and Tua should never listen to those hype-monster people, because it's only going to derail him. We're not hoping, asking, or expecting him to be an All-Pro QB. We'll be extremely pleased if he can become a Pro Bowl type QB. But the fist step is to become an average QB, and with this defense and all the weapons/support Grier has put around him, that'll be enough to easily put us in the playoffs with a realistic expectation of progressing.

Don't try to be someone else Tua ... just be a harder working and more confident version of yourself and it will work out. Organizing off-season throwing with your receivers is a solid first step ... keep it up. Get a rhythm with your guys, trust them and trust what you see and just let it rip. Eventually it'll become second nature and your muscle memory will work for you. Keep grinding in the film room and learn to identify tendencies and weaknesses until you become a good pre-snap read guy, because you can, despite the silly Wonderlich. Keep using your mobility to escape the pocket and run just enough to keep the threat alive in the minds of DC's and LB's. Develop chemistry and a symbiosis with your OL, take them to dinner, defend them in the press, praise them when there is no reason, and make them want to lay down their lives for you. Give the spotlight to your receivers and let their diva-moments shower them with glory ... you're bound to get more than your share anyway, because QB's always do.

But whatever you do, don't quit, don't doubt, and don't capitulate. Polite is nice for the cameras and press conferences, but on the field this game is for rage, rebellion and rivalry, and any player that doesn't bring those 3 R's isn't going to succeed, and damn sure isn't going to lead others into the jaws of hell and back again victorious.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom